New to the forums

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Aussie Bloke
Peasant Status

New to the forums

#1 Post by Aussie Bloke » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:34 am

Hi all. I'm new to the forums.

As a big fan of the old Sierra point'n'click adventure games I've recently come across Tierra's remakes of KQ1 and KQ2 and downloaded them and currently playing them and enjoying them.

Anyways eversince I was a teen in the mid 90s after seeing VGA remakes of Space Quest 1, Police Quest 1 and Quest For Glory 1 I always wanted to see VGA remakes of the of the other games in the series that are in EGA. In 1995 I wrote a letter to Sierra asking if they would do VGA remakes of games like Kings Quest 1 to 4, Space Quest 2 and 3, Police Quest 2, Quest For Glory 2 and maybe a few other EGA Sierra games. They didn't send a letter back responding to my request but they did sent me a catalog of their latest Sierra games. Anyways I was stoked when I recently found out there is VGA remakes of KQ1 and 2, good onya guys for putting the time and effort into remaking two FANTASTIC games :) !!! And looking forward to QG2 too.

I wish these days these big game companies would make more of those adventure games with the puzzles like Sierra's good old point'n'click adventure games as these days I see too much shootemup action games where it's more going around blasting people's guts out than adventure. Whilst they are fun to play, they get a bit tiring after a while as there are sooooooooo many of them. I do see some adventure games still being made like Monkey Island 4, that was brilliant, but wish there were more. Then again I don't find time to play many games these days due to other committments so I guess I've had my head buried in the sand over the last few years hehehe :rollin .

Anyways I'm glad these great Sierra classics are being remade and looking forward to seeing more. Some suggested Sierra games for remakes are:
Kings Quest 3 and 4
Space Quest 2 and 3
Police Quest 2
The Black Cauldron
Manhunter 1 and 2

I especially would love to see Space Quest 2 and 3 being redone as Space Quest is one of my alltime favourite Sierra games.

Lastly playing KQ2, I notice there's a bit of common Aussie slang in there like "cheers mate", "you little ripper", and I think "Sharkees". Being an Aussie myself I use and hear a lot of this slang. So I was wondering is Tierra an Australian gaming firm or are some of the game designers Aussies? Just curious :) .

Cheers
Troy

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:45 am

G'day, mate!(Did I get that right?)
AGD2 is from Australia(He did the merchants voice) and AGD1 moved there. Welcome to the forums! :D

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#3 Post by Swift » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:48 am

Welcome to the forums, Aussie Bloke.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:23 am

AGD2 is from Australia. (AGD1 moved there for half a year until her working visa expired and at that point she moved back to the US. She later spent another week or so at Melbourne a year later)

The australian references are due to the writer (Wookie) also being australian.

Welcome, btw.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#5 Post by Gronagor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:28 am

Ack!! Not another sheep-farmer! :) Welcome. :)

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#6 Post by Klytos » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:20 am

Sheep-farmer? Thats the New Zealanders not the Aussies (looking in the direction of Rugged....).

Where in good old Oz are you Aussie Bloke? I always ask this cause I'm a nosey shit. I'm in Brisbane, AGD2 is in country Victoria (though his ISP is in Brisbane here too, so I'm not too sure if he's being honest about that :lol ), and people from everywhere else.

So far, I'm the only Collingwood supporter. ;)

Although the Bronco's rock more!

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by rugged » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:08 am

Sheep-farmer? Thats the New Zealanders not the Aussies (looking in the direction of Rugged....).
Australia has far more sheep then NZ which of course has led to the greatest Australian lie of all time ..... "I was just helping the sheep over the fence " !!! :p :p

Ok I admit it NZ has more sheep then people !!

Aussie Bloke
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Aussie Bloke » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:39 am

Klitos wrote:
Where in good old Oz are you Aussie Bloke?
Hi Klitos. I'm located in Unanderra NSW which is less than 10km south of Wollongong.

Gronagor wrote:
Ack!! Not another sheep-farmer! Smile Welcome. Smile
Thank you. Well my nan and pop on my old man's side of the family does have a farm in Tassie, but I ain't no farmer :lol :lol :lol .

Erpy wrote:
AGD2 is from Australia. (AGD1 moved there for half a year until her working visa expired and at that point she moved back to the US. She later spent another week or so at Melbourne a year later)

The australian references are due to the writer (Wookie) also being australian.

Welcome, btw.
Thanks for the info. Nice to have some more Aussie flavour in computer games as I've not seen much Aussie references in most games, for example Battlefield 1942 seemed to neglect the Aussies vs the Japanese despite having the Americans vs the Japanese and the British vs the Germans. I still yet to download the speech pack for the game, looking forward to hearing that merchant's Aussie accent, I like how king Graham asked if his accent changed.

Cheers
Troy

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#9 Post by Senor Matt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:52 am

Greetings and Salutations Aussie Bloke.

And by the way, shouldn't this thread be in the off topic section? :rolleyes