Broken Sword question

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

Broken Sword question

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:17 am

Hi i just bought Broken sword shadows of templar for 20$ at a pawn shop. The GBA title seems good as i've owned it before then my bro sold it without consulting me. I was wondering if this is part of the series and if it starts or ends. I noticed George meets that women for the first time aparently here but maybe it's just a final fantasy kinda thing were names are shared along with some characters and what not. So i think there are 3 games in the series and I'm wondering if this title counts or like Rocky on GBa is a port from a PS2 or PC. Thanks

PS. How's that for grammar? You guys freaking happy? sure it lacks paragraph structure but i failed english im letting it slide.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#2 Post by Senor Matt » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:51 am

You know, your grammar actually is much better than usual here, I actually understood it this time. Keep it up.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:37 am

I just don't really care less it's important i was just making a statement that I can I just don't bother.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:00 am

Still, you might want to reflect on the fact that even though it takes you less time to type it if you write in jumbles, it takes EVERYONE ELSE a lot longer to read. Bottom line, if you're capable of writing without many grammar errors, and you seem capable enough, please do so.

JWar
Knight Status

#5 Post by JWar » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:27 am

So, now that we're staying on topic, yes, shadows of templar is the first installment in the series of three games.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#6 Post by Angelus3K » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 am

Yup Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars is the first game then comes Broken Sword 2 - The Smoking Mirror then finally Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon.

All are excellant adventure games are my personal favourite games!!

Here's hoping for a Broken Sword 4!!!

P.S. If anyone has played Beneath a Steel Sky then you may like to know that Revolution is making a sequel too it!!

Oh yea QFG Fan if you have any problems playing Broken Sword then you can use an emulator for it called ScummVM you also need to download Broken Sword 1 Cut Scene pack from HERE

If you like Broken Sword then try Revolution's previous game Beneath a Steel Sky which is now FREEWARE and can be played via ScummVM download it from HERE

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#7 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:54 pm

I just don't really care less it's important i was just making a statement that I can I just don't bother.
I think bad English generally makes a bad impression on people...

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#8 Post by Swift » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:37 pm

Unless hor, you acherly are typing in Singlish. Then hor, peepur may wan to learn from you because you sound very the crever.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#9 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:04 pm

I knew Angelus would respond to it because i saw a Broken sword topic from him right before i joined up.. When I write i seem to do it legibaly and I did it when I first game so I think my impression is good so now that im in and comfy can't i slack off a bit? wow just like Dr. Phill, when you hear it like that it's all so retarted. anyways thanks and is there a port for BS? (note: BS is Broken Sword not the word that parrot over uses.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:49 am

Broken Sword 1 was ported to the GBA and PS1, Broken Sword 2 was also ported to the PS1 and Broken Sword 3 has been ported to PS2 and I think Xbox.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#11 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:54 am

hey im back,

Did anyone else think Broken Sword was a little easy? It reminds me off Shenmue sure you'll get stuck every now and again but if you pay attention at all times you'll zoom through it faster then you'd like. It has a good story though as Shenmue did the only improvment i could se in any and all quest games (Hint Hint AGD's) is a Synopsis (SP?) for when you need to stop playing quick because of prior engagements or if it has been awhile since you played because i look on the internet to find where i've left off more then when i get stuck

semi spoiler: In the game i just got to the part where you hear of the conspiracy through the wall in...where was it...not spain france or ireland the other place.... oh and i only needed the walkthorugh twice once to get through the wall in the sewer where i am and i almost needed one for the hospital. I also almost got stuck in spain but i read the walkthrough to see if i was retarted before saving it so luckily i didn't have to start from scratch (phew) Great Game though if i get a PS2 i will definetly consider 2 and 3

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#12 Post by Kurdt » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:53 am

People, seriously, when QFGfan first came around awhile ago, you jumped on him unwarranted and I told you to stop. And, as it would seem, in my abscence you've continued to do so. Yeah, the line about grammar was baiting you guys in this post, but in all seriousness what do you think provoked him to say that? It certainly wasn't random, I can tell you that much.

You have a problem with his grammar? Well, I'll tell you right now it's better than charchar/Ghostface's ever was and a hell of a lot better than Fribbi's. "Oh, but Kurt, Fribbi doesn't have a good grip on English, he's different." The hell he is. If we can take the extra time to try and understand people doing the best they can from other languages and age groups, we can tolerate a guy who doesn't take the time to eliminate his grammar mistakes. Who knows? He could be dyslexic or worse. At least he's not cursing every 5 minutes like some of our more grammatically correct members here.

Seriously, leave the spite somewhere else and let's be a friendly community, eh? We've got better things to do than call people out for misspelling words and not having subject-verb agreement. He isn't that hard to figure out if you give it more than a quick glance, which you should be doing anyway.

Oh, and by the way, QFGfan, don't think this puts you on a pedestal. This is the second time I've decided to stick up for you, and if you make me look bad by acting up after I've defended you, I'm not going to be very happy. So be good and they'll be good, okay? Okay. And a helpful hint: If you don't use the walkthrough at all, even if you're really stuck, the game doesn't fly by as quick.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#13 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:13 am

i only did the once.

When was my worst post grammatically? im sure there were a few can people please point them out? i can guarantee you they are legible enough for someone a bit over half my age. And thanks Kurdt

On topic the whole wall with the sewer device was an impossible puzzle though, you've got to gimme that.

Oh, quick thought. if i'm ranting and I know it is dumb i won't backspace it for realism becuase if you were to rant and realize it was dumb in real life you can't hit a button for it to go away. That is why me on these boards is probably closest to me in real life of anyone here.... a normal person would bacspace this whole thing but im gonna let it stay.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:06 am

For the record, Kurdt, I don't pounce on people whose grammar is slightly below-average, but if someone mentions he IS capable of using correct grammar/punctuation but just doesn't feel like doing so, I have the tendency to object.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#15 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:08 pm

semi spoiler: In the game i just got to the part where you hear of the conspiracy through the wall in...where was it...not spain france or ireland the other place....
That is in France, its in the catacombs down the sewers in Montfaucon.

Glad you like the game, you'll love BS 2 and 3. Plus BS 3 is a 3D adventure game and it still rocks, much like Grim Fandango but much better controls.

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#16 Post by KKuhlman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:25 pm

Angelus3K wrote:much like Grim Fandango but much better controls.
There was nothing wrong with controls in Grim Fandango.. If you have gotten used to the controls in Alone in the Dark 1,2 and 3 that were straight from hell, that is.. ;)

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#17 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:40 pm

I personally found the controls of Grim Fandango great but the controls for Broken Sword 3 are actually mapped for a PS2 controller so it works really well on PC or PS2!

KKuhlman
The Silent Witness

#18 Post by KKuhlman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:47 pm

Hmm.. Gotta give it a go then if I find it from somewhere.. Just crossed my mind that I haven't even seen the whole game in shop here in Finland.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#19 Post by Angelus3K » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:29 pm

Hey Soulman, check your PM box!!

Jafar
Super Star

#20 Post by Jafar » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:51 am

Soulman? :lol *Writes it down in his list of funny nicknames*

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#21 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:26 am

Hi I'm back and i just had a quik thought while searching as to whether any of my topics were alive. I just got Broken Sword 2 on my computer and normally I would say "wow Betsy wait till you beat the first one or this will make no sense" but because my gameboy SP has decided to be gay and the recharger decided to crap out on me i decided why pay 19.99$ on a recharger for this one game i'll play when i got the second that should rap it up in a prologue. Due to the way i got this game the opening video is mising which i didn't notice i simply sat tied to my chair as the tarantula tried to kill me and while the room was on fire and thought "what a great opening". but after i got a bit in i clued in a bit and it apears the first one was only noted heavily near the beggining...duh. Anyways I was playing and i noticed when i walked around in certain spots or whatever the colours would be funky. When I asked my brother if he could solve these strange occurences he laughed at the game and said "It's because you don't have DirectX2 or something low, this game seems pretty old" then i checked the box for broken sword 1 and said wow this game is from 1996 and that the second one I later found was 1998. Now I had a theory that just got blown away and that thory was "older games get a bit of a "Kiddie" bonus because their well...old" then as i sat there thinking holy crap my theory is worse then a brady bunch movie I realised my theory was obviously wrong in fact this whole site shows that because no one remembers the "crappier" games like Broken Sword or Ghost House but still games like Space Invaders and Kings Quest are more often likely to ring a bell. This site is a tribute to those that remember even if the makers didn't think of it that way and I'd like to close this poorly written Essay with Thank You believers of the past and wave of the future, where their are Internet buddies that remeber their is hope of another fan game being made to boost the genre an extra year.

*rest your eyes now please*

on topic... Broken Sword 1 seemed a lot easier to me then 2 and their is 2 or 3 saves on my computer called Stuck?, Stuck2?, and Stuck3? because there are times when you don't know if you did something where you screwed up and have to restart and it's usually halfway through a puzzle. never mind about that though, I read that Broken Sword 3 is on GCN and was wondering if it would be worth as I'm thinking of buying another title as well off of Amazon and what peoples thoughts are to the campairoson of SoT SM and DR (Dragon Reborn?) thank you

I'd also like to take this oppurtunity to ask if everyone would send some Fan mail this week via E-Mail. Mine will be to BAM and send to whatever game company who's product you've enjoyed most lately.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#22 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:21 am

To my knowlegde there arent any puzzles in Broken Sword that you can do incorrectly and mess the game up, if you enjoyed the Broken Sword series I would definetly say its worth getting Broken Sword 3.

BTW Not having DirectX2 or something doesnt do anything to the game, all directX versions are fully backwards compatible, its probably something else thats messed up.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#23 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:39 am

I know there aren't but when i first started BS2 i thoght there were.

I knew Ricky (My Brother) was kidding about DirectX2 he was just saying my computer was a little to modern for the game in some way.