What the hell is this

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

What the hell is this

#1 Post by Music Head » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:05 am

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:47 am

What do you think it is??

Its Sierra's FTP directory for all their games demos and patches and stuff.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:45 am

oh cool.

Lil'll empty though

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#4 Post by Klytos » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:06 am

It's empty because they can't create a patch to fix such a fuckup of a game.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:37 am

Hmmm, Klitos would you mind toning down the use the F-word around here a bit? When I notice this sort of thing in multiple recent posts, I'm sensing the forming of a habit of some sort.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#6 Post by 1eyedParrot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:00 pm

Yah Klitos! Watch the f***in' language already, there's f***ing kids reading these f***ing forums yah know?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#7 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:12 pm

Parrot, That is disgusting!

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Alias » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:13 pm

I knew this already, all you have to do is surf around their site and serach for things and bam. there you have it.

Is it against the rules to swear?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#9 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:28 pm

Not funny.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:32 pm

Rog wrote:I knew this already, all you have to do is surf around their site and serach for things and bam. there you have it.

Is it against the rules to swear?
Evidently.

Bt

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#11 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:37 pm

Rules wrote:While this forum basically encourages free discussion, I'd like to ask everyone here to keep the talk tasteful...

Klytos

#12 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:46 am

1eyedParrot wrote:Yah Klitos! Watch the f***in' language already, there's f***ing kids reading these f***ing forums yah know?
:rollin
Come on, that is funny!

Would it be appropriate to ask for a list of words that you would not like to see in the forums? Or is it just fuck?

Cain Aleksandrovich
Knight Status

#13 Post by Cain Aleksandrovich » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:46 am

It's probably just fuck, so don't say fuck, you pudgefacking fathermucker, Ima go poke some smot, than maybe blort some snow.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#14 Post by Music Head » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:54 am

You guys are acting like a bunch of 13 year olds

Jafar
Super Star

#15 Post by Jafar » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:10 am

I never acted like that when I was 13. How dreadful. More tea, anyone?

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#16 Post by Music Head » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:13 am

I'll have a hot milo

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:51 am

I think most people are intelligent enough to realize which words are cuss words. Us posting some list will just cause people to look for alternatives, so I see little use in that.

Like Navynuke pointed out, keep the language tasteful and don't swear. In the context of your posts, the inclusion of cuss words wasn't even necessary to begin with.

Klytos

#18 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:25 am

Geez Erpy. You'd think with what kids can watch on television in primetime the occasional gutter-word wouldn't be a big deal.
Us posting some list will just cause people to look for alternatives, so I see little use in that.
That was my point. ;)

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#19 Post by VampD3 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:50 am

You'd think with what kids can watch on television in primetime the occasional gutter-word wouldn't be a big deal.
Just one thing, I don't know about everyone else here but I find the use of the word F*** offensive. To me its one of the worst strongest swear words you can use. Fair enough if you had just said Sh*t or Cr*p as ok its on the TV alot and its slightly less strong.

It wouldn't have been as bad if the rest of you guys hadn't carried on the whole thing adding the word F*ck into your posts just to try and be funny.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone by being strong about this but I just think its a bit stupid.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#20 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:56 am

Geez Erpy. You'd think with what kids can watch on television in primetime the occasional gutter-word wouldn't be a big deal.
I'm not responsible for what kids watch on television in primetime. I am responsible to some degree for what people read here. And the use of profanities still offends some people. (kid or not) Most forums I've visited have rules in place condemning the use of gutter-speech. This board is no exception. I'm not pouncing on these things like a rabid dog whenever I get the opportunity, but I feel the use of trashtalk has increased here over time and I think it's time to tone it down again. (since it has always been in contradiction with the forum regulations to begin with) Especially since most of it is just used for "decorative" value. (I'm not singling you out, I'm making a general statement here)

Since I see it as a growing standard of some sort, I'd like to make an attempt to root it out before people get the impression trashtalk is condoned here.
that was my point
I figured as much. :)

Zeus
Knight Status

#21 Post by Zeus » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:28 am

1eyedParrot wrote:Yah Klitos! Watch the f***in' language already, there's f***ing kids reading these f***ing forums yah know?
Bravo!You have a great sense of humor! Well done! :rollin

(not to mention that you ignore the moderator's request and do whatever you want) :rolleyes

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#22 Post by VampD3 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:33 am

Also I think that people here are mature enough to know whats "ok" to say and whats not. I mean I swear a bit but I would never use it on here,

For one I know its not right to post that sort of thing here as you don't know who will be reading it and how young they are,

and

For two it says alot about who you are. Like Erpy was saying before, the way you "talk" on here reflects your personality and who you are.

This forum has always been great to come to and read and one of those reasons is because it doesn't have the use of strong language everywhere. It would be terrrible if it were like that.

Don't get me wrong, if you swear on here it doesn't make you a bad person or anything I don't mean thats how you are in life, all I am saying is that everyone knows whats ok to say and whats not, you should know that there may be people on here that get offended by it, and I don't just mean children.

Zeus
Knight Status

#23 Post by Zeus » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:47 am

Many times swearing is used by people who try to catch other people's attention and make their presence more dynamic (with a wrong way). To impress them. Some of them (who have complete lack of sense of humor generally) believe that they are funny when they swear. lol
The rest of the times, some people use swearing, when they do not have other ways to justify their opinion. So being offensive with a good swear word they *think* that they have made their opinion stable.

When someone swears on you, try doing the same to him in private.
Then you will understand from his reactions, more about him and his motives.
Then, the last step is the 'ignore mode' of course :)

Klytos

#24 Post by Klytos » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:15 am

Erpy wrote:I'm not responsible for what kids watch on television in primetime. I am responsible to some degree for what people read here. And the use of profanities still offends some people. (kid or not) Most forums I've visited have rules in place condemning the use of gutter-speech. This board is no exception. I'm not pouncing on these things like a rabid dog whenever I get the opportunity, but I feel the use of trashtalk has increased here over time and I think it's time to tone it down again. (since it has always been in contradiction with the forum regulations to begin with) Especially since most of it is just used for "decorative" value. (I'm not singling you out, I'm making a general statement here)

Since I see it as a growing standard of some sort, I'd like to make an attempt to root it out before people get the impression trashtalk is condoned here.
I use a shitload more language in real life than I ever would here, so why should I change the way I speak to please a minority of people? Others can always choose to ignore it. It's not like I write major essay's using only the top 5 4-letter words.
VampD3 wrote:Also I think that people here are mature enough to know whats "ok" to say and whats not. I mean I swear a bit but I would never use it on here,

For one I know its not right to post that sort of thing here as you don't know who will be reading it and how young they are,

and

For two it says alot about who you are. Like Erpy was saying before, the way you "talk" on here reflects your personality and who you are.

This forum has always been great to come to and read and one of those reasons is because it doesn't have the use of strong language everywhere. It would be terrrible if it were like that.

Don't get me wrong, if you swear on here it doesn't make you a bad person or anything I don't mean thats how you are in life, all I am saying is that everyone knows whats ok to say and whats not, you should know that there may be people on here that get offended by it, and I don't just mean children.
You right about what you say on here reflecting the sort of person you are. Or I am in this case. And it's true, I swear a lot in real life. To be completely honest, I don't care enough about what other people think of me to want to change what I do or say. My Mum loves me, my girlfriend loves me, my workmates like me and so do my friends. Anyone else can either take me as I am or not. I'm not too concerned. Besides, isn't it better to be yourself than someone somebody else wants you to be.

I've given up trying not to offend people. People will be offended by something whether I try to stop it or not, so in the immortal words of the Sex Pistols, "Screw It!"

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#25 Post by Erpy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:42 am

Others can always choose to ignore it. It's not like I write major essay's using only the top 5 4-letter words.
If the latter were the case, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask you nicely first, I would have removed it on sight. I'm also afraid that the group of people who can always choose to ignore it does not include me. In other places on the internet perhaps, but certainly not here.
You right about what you say on here reflecting the sort of person you are. Or I am in this case. And it's true, I swear a lot in real life. To be completely honest, I don't care enough about what other people think of me to want to change what I do or say. My Mum loves me, my girlfriend loves me, my workmates like me and so do my friends. Anyone else can either take me as I am or not. I'm not too concerned. Besides, isn't it better to be yourself than someone somebody else wants you to be.

I've given up trying not to offend people. People will be offended by something whether I try to stop it or not, so in the immortal words of the Sex Pistols, "Screw It!"
I'm not asking you to do a complete personality overhaul. I'm simply asking you to respect the point I made in this thread. (even if you happen to disagree with it)