Any java programmers around

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Any java programmers around

#1 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:46 am

Hey guys and gals

I've decided to learn java and can create a hello world (Yes, i know what an accomplishment). Anyway i just wanted to know if anyone here is experianced with java so if i ever need extra bit of info you can help out.

Thanks guys

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#2 Post by Swift » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:51 am

I learnt java in year 1.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Music Head » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:58 am

Am i sensing a bit of sarcasium

anyway the tutorial i have is so hard to understand can you suuggest a beasy one?

Since you learnt it in yr1 i suppose you can make an online game like this http://www.runescape.com

PS. Runescape is a wicked game all you guys will love it. It's got stats like QFG.
Give it a chance it's well worth it

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:12 am

Me, Myself and u wrote:Am i sensing a bit of sarcasium
I believe the word you're looking for is "sarcasm", and no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I did learn java in year 1 of university, and I don't see how my earlier post could be construed that way.
Since you learnt it in yr1 i suppose you can make an online game like this www.runescape.com
No, my knowledge of java isn't that advanced yet.

Jackhomer
Knight Status

#5 Post by Jackhomer » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:41 am

Yep. I have 2 years of Java experience. I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have!

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#6 Post by fluxmaster » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:02 pm

Well, I'm not exactly experienced, but I have written one program in java. If you go to http://www.planetsxml.tk and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can run the program. You can also download the source code and play around with it if you like. If you have any questions about the source code, I can answer them for you.

The Avatar
Knight Status

clearing up the misconceptions

#7 Post by The Avatar » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:08 pm

Me, Myself and u... and Swift...

I see why there was a communication problem here...

Swift stated: "I learned Java in year 1."

Me, Myself and u heard: "I learned Java in 1 year." - a slight difference

that would make the speaker seem quite cocky indeed. ;)

Try to read your posts more closely before getting mad at people Me..u ;)

Oh, and I'm in my second Java class in college myself, so I may be of some assistance as well.. (though I'm still learning)

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#8 Post by 1eyedParrot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:04 pm

Java heretics! My superior C++ knowledge will annilate you.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Music Head » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:57 am

[quote="Swift]I believe the word you're looking for is "sarcasm", and no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I did learn java in year 1 of university, and I don't see how my earlier post could be construed that way. [/quote]

I thought you meant primary school and was being sarcastic (i spelt it wrong again didn't i).[/b]

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#10 Post by Music Head » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:59 am

oh you know c++. Is it better\easier to make online games. For that is what i want to do. I wanna start simple with a pong game or something like that

Jackhomer
Knight Status

#11 Post by Jackhomer » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:16 am

I think java would be a good place to go about making a pong type game.

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#12 Post by Swift » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:23 am

I thought you meant primary school and was being sarcastic
If I did learn it in the first year of primary school, I'd say "primary 1", not "year 1". That's what it's called over here. And some people do learn programming in primary school, so you can't conclude that saying "I learnt it in primary 1" is sarcastic. Also, you spelt it correctly this time.

I also learnt a bit of C++ and Scheme.

fluxmaster
Knight Status

#13 Post by fluxmaster » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:22 pm

Swift wrote:I learnt java in year 1.
Impossible, as Java had not been invented yet. In that year, Roman numerals were the industry standard. Java was not invented until the year MCMXCV.

JWar
Knight Status

#14 Post by JWar » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:07 pm

I've got quite some java experience. I've coded several server-client based stuff and am working on a java game of my own now. Just let me know if you need some help.

I know of a good site for you, but can't find it right now. I'll post the link when I remember it.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#15 Post by Alias » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:15 pm

1eyedParrot wrote:Java heretics! My superior C++ knowledge will annilate you.
BWAHAHA! I agree. :|

JWar
Knight Status

#16 Post by JWar » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:19 pm

People whining about C++ being superior to java have never really done in-depth research into it.

Jackhomer
Knight Status

#17 Post by Jackhomer » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:44 pm

Yay! A Java vs. C++ discussion!

Here's my two cents--

Ok. So first off, every language is good for something. Futhermore, some languages are appropriate for certain tasks, while others are not. For example, If you want to develop a web application, Java is probably the best language that suits your needs. However, let's suppose that you want to make a 3D game that utilizes openGL or something... your best bet in that case is to go with C++. If you just wanted to do simple server scripting, then Perl is probably the best available language.

You also have to understand that Java and C++ while similar in syntax, they are really two different beasts altogether. To achieve cross-platform compatibility in Java (which is a plus), you have to sacrifice speed in that the code must be interpreted (which is a minus) by a piece of software on your machine. However, speed is not an issue for some types of applications, while for others it is crucial.

From a learning standpoint, I think Java is great. It allows you to learn object oriented techniques really easily, and you don't have to get bogged down in memory management. As an aside, I think that Java will continue to become more and more popular as many Universities are switching over to teaching Java in place of C++. The academic world seems to like Java, so I kinda envision a large base of java programmers appearing in the upcoming years.

adeyke

#18 Post by adeyke » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:32 pm

I know Java. So far, I've just had to take one C++ class but quite a few of the others used Java. I must admit that I do like Java more.

Snarky
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by Snarky » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:01 am

I do Java (and other) programming in my work, and I predict that the language will just continue to grow in popularity. For instance, Java is becoming the standard platform for cell phone development, which is a rapidly growing part of the industry.

The good things about Java:
1) Easy to learn compared to C++ (garbage collected, implicit pointers).
2) Well regarded by theoreticians (having overcome initial prejudice).
Therefore taught at many universities.
3) Extensive and powerful libraries (useful in professional development).
4) Finally, an excellent IDE (Eclipse available as freeware).

On the downside, it runs slower than well-written C++ code (but this is almost always less significant than whether the code itself is optimized on the abstract level), and to run programs you need the Java VM.

JWar
Knight Status

#20 Post by JWar » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:55 am

Which is all very important for game-design. I mean, who doesn't have a 2 GHz+ pc with killer video card and 512mb RAM nowadays. Not a whole lot of games actually hit the limits of your pc's capabilities anymore.

So, with all the neatness involved in java programming, especially when that is welwritten, C++ is better because it's more 'cool' to be able to code it.. not through any major benefits..

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#21 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:07 pm

I like Java. With cream, sugar and a pack of cigarettes.

Bt

bartonjo2
Knight Status

hey

#22 Post by bartonjo2 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:26 pm

I am currently taking a pre ap cs class and were learning java but I have noticed it is very similar to php and several other languages so i may be able to help or at least help find bugs.