Sierra Quest Collections

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jakem188
Peasant Status

Sierra Quest Collections

#1 Post by jakem188 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:01 pm

I'm trying to find out whether or not the latest collections from Sierra are able to be played on today's computers. The collections in particular can be found at Amazon.com. Just search for King's/Space/Police Quest under video games.

I'm thinking about getting these collections, but I don't know if I'd be able to play them. Or if they would operate, but without audio or with speed problems. AGDI games have no problems, so hopefully these newest collections won't either.

Does anyone know for sure?

Wodball
Peasant Status

#2 Post by Wodball » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:09 am

First, welcome to the boards!

Second, you have a variety of options open to you. You have DOSbox, an emulator that can create an environment equivalent to a 386. Everything is emulated from Protected Mode to Adlib sound. Most games will run there.

If you really don't like emulating DOS, then you can use VDMS since Windows XP (I assume you're using this or 2000) does not communicate with sound cards the same way that DOS does.

You'll need a few other utilities though.

1. Script Patches: http://geocities.com/belzorash/
This is needed to solve some annoying problems like the widely known "Error 52" from QFG4.

2. GoSierra v3: A lot of websites have this, just google the program
This is needed to fix digital sound drivers in Sierra games. In the initial programming of these drivers, the designers didn't realize that we'd still be playing these games now, so the sound code was CPU speed based. This fixes that part of the code and makes these games work for the faster computers.

Since you're going to spending so much money on these collections (Assuming you buy this from Amazon, but don't forget to check eBay or other classifieds) I would suggest that you invest in an old 486 with DOS 6.22. You could probably get one with all the trimmings for less than what the collection would cost now.

--Woody

P.S. OT- If you like Lucasarts adventures as well, check out SCUMMVM at http://www.scummvm.org

jakem188
Peasant Status

#3 Post by jakem188 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:17 am

Quite a substantial post, thank you. :D

You're right about the costs. I'll definitely be checking eBay first, although the SQ collection on Amazon isn't bad.

The thought of simply getting an older system is a good idea and one that I've considered before, but you seem to have otherwise supplied me with ways to play it comfortably using this system (yes, it uses XP), so, I think that would end up being more inconvenient than anything.

Again, thanks, you've saved me from a lot of trouble!

Jafar
Super Star

#4 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:23 am

If you have any questions about DOSBOX, ask me. I'm a pro. 8))

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:32 am

Oh Jafar I have a dos box question. When I run the QFG1 the sound is really choppy and I don't think it fixed the maze problem either although ii'll have to check again it's been awhile

Jafar
Super Star

#6 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 am

Did you try increasing the speed a few times? (Ctrl-F12)