Viruses protection collection.

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:00 pm

Fribbi if you download the virus updates for your anti-virus scanner then you dont need those individual patches.

Plus a good Firewall like Zone Alarm will also protect against online threats.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#3 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:49 am

I just use Adaware 6.0 almost daily it's working for me

Jafar
Super Star

#4 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:50 am

Someone uninstalled Adaware over here! :eek
Fortunately I still have Spybot: SD.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:52 am

I personally don't see the harm in spy ware. Not only do I have nothing to hide but it also doesn't seem to affect much of anything. And for the record Kazaa does not have spyware it's just that everyone has access to your shared folder that kazaa media is put to. also you can block that out

Jafar
Super Star

#6 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:55 am

You don't mind that some freaks watch every, single thing you do on the net, and then start popping up ads and installing things on your Computer without permission?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#7 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:55 am

not in the slightest

Jafar
Super Star

#8 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:57 am

Oookay then. :|
Have it your way. *Starts reinforcing the walls of his Fortress/Computer*

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#9 Post by Swift » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:09 am

Spyware also hampers your computer performace and slow it down. Do you really want a sluggish computer with memory that gets eaten up slowly for no apparent reason?

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#10 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:04 am

I personally don't see the harm in spy ware. Not only do I have nothing to hide but it also doesn't seem to affect much of anything. And for the record Kazaa does not have spyware it's just that everyone has access to your shared folder that kazaa media is put to. also you can block that out
For the record KaZaA DOES have Spyware thats why there has been releases like KaZaA Lite etc.

Jafar
Super Star

#11 Post by Jafar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:21 am

All this talk of Spy/Adware is making me nervous. *Runs Spybot again*

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#12 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:28 am

Plus, some spyware that is badly written can cause damage to your system files. Trojans can be installed by simply visiting certain websites that are designed to explot bugs in windows or IE. This can result in malcious code being run on your computer, possibly deleting or corrupting important files. It also allows someone to get into your computer with complete access to open, close, delete files or shut your PC down. Keyloggers can also be installed which send everything you type (passwords, credit card numbers etc) to a server or irc channel where someone can gain all of that infomation and use it.

I personally think spyware can be more dangerous and harmful than a virus. At least most virus scanners will catch and delete a virus the moment it attempts to infect your system. But it seems that no single Anti-spyware program can detect all known forms of spyware, malware, and adware etc.

For example, I had AdAware installed (including the VX2 plug-in) and performed a complete system scan. It found about 14 items, all of which I deleted. Then I closed AdAware and performed another full scan with Giant Antispyware. It found no less than 240 things on my computer than AdAware alone did not detect. Spyware is something you don't want to underestimate. The best advice is really to have mutiple Anti spyware programs installed to ensure that you catch and delete as much of it as possible.

1eyedParrot
Knight Status

#13 Post by 1eyedParrot » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:00 pm

I have to fix retard students' computers almost daily because of spyware/adware. It gets so bad in some cases that only a full reformat and reinstall will delete all of it. Ever run AdAware and find 4000 some spyware objects? You open the taskmanager and see the CPU operating at around 80% and they wonder why their computer is running so slow, ha!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#14 Post by Erpy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:01 am

Spyware has the potential to be more nasty than virusses. Getting your hard drive wiped is no fun, but someone secretly logging your keystrokes and then plundering your bank account is even worse.

There's also the fact most virus makers are loners with a twisted creative side, but many spyware programmers have financial backup from companies without scrupules, which gives them a lot more opportunity for research&development, like blocking your ability to install anti-spyware programs.