Very Happy

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Very Happy

#1 Post by Klytos » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 pm

I had a great week. So many little things, and one majorly huge thing happened.

To start with, I now work with the absolutly honey at work. Sure, she's married with a couple of rug-rats, but she is a real sweet girl and an even nicer person. So thats cool. Next, she made me some chocolate crackles, which I haven't had since I was probably 5 and I absolutly love. Then she went out of her way to guage the interest of a hot-as girlfriend of hers whom I helped out at work on Wednesday. Not only is she keen, (which is awesome!!!!) and she's stuck in my mind for a good few days which is different for me, she's keen on catching up with ME! YAY! And I got her phone number and I'm going out with her next week sometime.

To top this all off, I offered to help hand-out how to vote cards at the polling booths today in the federal election for my party, the liberals (sitting government for those non-aussies here...) Well, that was fun, which I wasn't expecting. And the labor (opposition) girls were all so sweet and cool and invited me to their after-party booze-up which was awesome. But, we returned government which is absolutly awesome and with an increased majority. YAY!

A Very Happy and Slightly Drunk Klitos.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:46 pm

Now there's a big difference between the last time you were drunk and posted here. ;)

I'm happy to see you've had such a good time. Cheers. :)
Well, that was fun, which I wasn't expecting. And the labor (opposition) girls were all so sweet and cool and invited me to their after-party booze-up which was awesome.
Hmmm, followers of opposing political parties having fun together. I've been following the US election process for a while now and I sometimes get depressed by all the sewage tossed to and fro. You're setting a good example.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:44 pm

I gotta agree with you there, Erpy ... they're making an effort on my college campus with the foundation of a College Republican club (we've had active College Democrats and Shepherd Greens for a few years now), so there can be active debates - as in intelligent discussions instead of "you sucks!" being thrown back and forth. Unfortunetly, some members of each group take it upon themselves to tear down flyers of the opposing group, which makes me sad. Bah. If there was no opposition, things would be so hella boring.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#4 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:09 pm

Steffi Evenstar wrote:....so there can be active debates - as in intelligent discussions instead of "you sucks!" being thrown back and forth. Unfortunetly, some members of each group take it upon themselves to tear down flyers of the opposing group, which makes me sad...
Not like real politics are much different.

REMEMBER, grown American men, the MEN who RUN this country invented "FREEDOM FRIES" and for the Republican's who don't want to "support" the Heinz "W" brand Ketchup.

These people RUN our country. Isn't that petty?

Bt

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:16 pm

Hence my reference to Klitos setting the good example. The big guys at the top don't seem to do so. I'm amazed at the time and money that gets put into trying to ruin the image of the opposing party. I believe democratic elections were supposed to be about getting the best man for the job into office, not keeping the worst one out of it. And then people wonder why so many are cynical about politics. (rolls eyes) But hey, I'm just an outsider. What do I know?

rugged
Defense Minister Status

good news

#6 Post by rugged » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:19 pm

Good news all round !!!! Great to see Howard back in office. And nice that you got the hook up !!

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#7 Post by Klytos » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:58 am

Erpy wrote:Hmmm, followers of opposing political parties having fun together. I've been following the US election process for a while now and I sometimes get depressed by all the sewage tossed to and fro. You're setting a good example.
Politics is a game and it's fun. It's a very important game, but it's still a game. If people just stood back for a quick minute and looked at the whole thing, they'd realise that people are just people and although we may differ on our idiology we still all believe in one thing, the strength of our democracy, where no matter who wins or loses it's accepted and the country moves on.

As for the US, most of their problem is that their system is just stupid. Thats what causes problems like the Gore / Bush thing last time. Why do you think when a non-democratic country begins free elections they base their system on the Australian / New Zealand model? Simple, yet solid.
Erpy wrote: Hence my reference to Klitos setting the good example. The big guys at the top don't seem to do so. I'm amazed at the time and money that gets put into trying to ruin the image of the opposing party. I believe democratic elections were supposed to be about getting the best man for the job into office, not keeping the worst one out of it.
Wrong. What both sides of politics try and do is a combination of two things. Firstly, giving a clear picture of where we want to take the country in the next three years. To do that we need to spend money on advertising. Thats just the nature of the beast, unfortunate as it is. If a party didn't let the electorate know what they stood for, they wouldn't be around the following election!

The second part the media likes to dub as "negitive" politics. It's an oppositions job to prove to the people that they are really an alternative government and are fit to lead and to do this they must poke holes in a governments policies and platforms. Just as the government pokes holes and finds the problems with the oppositions policies and platforms.

Both sides keep each other honest and accountable. We wouldn't be able to do that if we didn't expose weaknesses in the opponent. As for personal politics, well thats part and parcel of the game, and for the record these things are usually brought up by the media and not by the politicians. Still, take for example one guy we had in a Sydney seat just recently. He was over the last few years a very strong advocate for the family unit, marriage etc. He's found out to have been having an affair on his wife and four children. That needs to be exposed because if he lies about findamentals like that, what else does he lie about? If you want to call that dirty politics, go ahead.
Erpy wrote:And then people wonder why so many are cynical about politics. (rolls eyes) But hey, I'm just an outsider. What do I know?
People are cynical about politics because either they're stupid and or disengaged from the politicl process. Nothing shits me more than people who whine about political issues yet I see them grinning and joking about how they "donkey" voted on election day. People are only disengaged from politics because they choose to be. You don't have a right to complain about anything if you didn't care enough to vote properly.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

politics

#8 Post by rugged » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:28 am

I agree Klitos, most people seem to miss the point behind political debates and mud slinging. It really is based on the fundmental principles of the democratic system.
Sure to a lot of people it looks like a lot of bitching, but that is if you are looking at a issue in isolation and not what it says about the person or parties integrity, principles and policies.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:41 am

I have no problems with opposing parties pointing out flaws in each other's programs or ideas. It's part of the debate. But I also believe that sort of thing should strictly focus on the other party's ideas and actions and not on the people. The run between Bush and McCain for governor was a rather abysmal example of a person's actions/ideas being ignored and persona being attacked.

If a politician is having an affair and he's preaching about moral values in the meantime, I'd overlook his opponent accusing him of hypocrisy. But otherwise, I believe a politician's private life should remain out of it.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#10 Post by Gronagor » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:57 am

Strange. It always seem to me like the worst candidate gets selected. The one who has no morals and would go to any lengths to destroy his opposition.

Like Bush for example. Both of them.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#11 Post by Skyshark » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:57 pm

I voted Liberal as well (particularly as the Labor MP who won her seat in my electorate in the last election did sweet bugger-all, especially for stuff in my area) and was pleased they stayed in, particularly to the detriment of the Labor party. :evil

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Mps private lives

#12 Post by rugged » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:12 am

But otherwise, I believe a politician's private life should remain out of it
I don't believe in politicians having private lives. If they have dirty laundry I want to know about it. Power only amplifies who we already are, if someone is dishonest in there private lives that will increase not decrease when they are given power . Sooner or later it will manifest itself into their role as an MP.
Someones personal integrity and their private life should be be beyond reproach if they are to be in charge of a country.

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

Re: Mps private lives

#13 Post by anathoth8 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:23 pm

rugged wrote:
But otherwise, I believe a politician's private life should remain out of it
I don't believe in politicians having private lives. If they have dirty laundry I want to know about it. Power only amplifies who we already are, if someone is dishonest in there private lives that will increase not decrease when they are given power . Sooner or later it will manifest itself into their role as an MP.
Someones personal integrity and their private life should be be beyond reproach if they are to be in charge of a country.
Yeah, but by the time they are running for such a high office, you should already know what kind of person they are by how the performed in other offices they have held in the past. I think that politicians should focus on the issues.

It is sad to me that nowadays, instead of trying to boost themselves above their opponent, politicians now push the opponent under them. In other words, they should convince the voter that they are a better choice than the other, rather than that the opponent is a worse choice than themselves.