Old System Requirements

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Sedated6
Peasant Status

Old System Requirements

#1 Post by Sedated6 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:02 pm

Could someone help me here? I am completely burnt on any new games that are out and due to my desire to play some of the old kings quest, space quest, and qfg series (beyong kq1 and kq2 remakes...awesome) I have researched prices and such on old systems through ebay and other dealers. However, because its been so long I can't remember how I had my old 486 systems set up. Can anyone tell me the best setup to play some old sierra games, like the quest for glory, kings quest, and space quest series? I need to know processor speed, ram, and which versiion of windows and dos I need.

Thanks

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:32 pm

Roughly you'll need:

486DX-66 CPU
8/16MB RAM
Sound Blaster 16
Old VGA Card
Windows 3.1/Win 95

Thats about it, best to check ebay.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#3 Post by Charlemagne » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:38 pm

I play all my Sierra games on an old 486 DX2 66 Mhz that I cobbled together from a bunch of spare parts. You really don't need anything more powerful than that for point-and-click adventures. Here are my recommendations:

CPU: 486 33 Mhz or above for VGA point-and-click games; 386 is fine for parser-based

RAM: 4 MB or more; many 2nd-hand computer stores have boxes of 30- or 72-pin SIMMS that they'll sell for next to nothing

Video RAM: not too sure, but probably at least 1 MB; if your computer has built-in video circuitry you should be fine

Sound card: 16-bit Sound Blaster or Adlib compatible; usually very cheap these days

Hard drive: 500 MB will hold all of the classic Sierra games, and then some :)

Operating system: MS-DOS 6.22; version 5 is OK too; this will probably be the hardest one to find

Most cities have at least a couple of second-hand computer stores where you can buy outdated hardware for almost nothing. The guy I bought some of my stuff from was quite happy because it was wasting space in his storeroom. Overall, I don't think I spent more than $30CAN for the whole system.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#4 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:27 pm

I'd recommend getting Windows 3.x somewhere as well. The Windows versions of the Sierra games run better than the DOS ones on my system.

Adol
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Adol » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:35 pm

I have found that this website from SpaceQuest.net is very useful in making a PC for sierra games
http://www.spacequest.net/misc/customsqpc/