Is this right?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Is this right?

#1 Post by Music Head » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:33 am

You guys might have read my post called "QFG 1 help" so you'd be aware that i an't get all my stats past certain points. Even after trying every way to raise a certain stat it still disn't budge. So i've saved my charector at the end of the game and worked out that i can change my stats in ultra-edit by editing the file. Is this cheating or perfetally ok? It's just there deosn't seem to be any way around it.

Thanks in advanced
"say hi to your mum for me"

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:38 am

Using a 3rd party program to modify your character is undoubtedly cheating. However, you're only cheating yourself (unless you then brag about your character or something).

The question is this: what do you have to gain from doing it? Those 6 extra points in lockpicking won't make any difference in gameplay. The only reason you'd want them is in order have perfect stats. However, if perfection is what you're after, wouldn't that very goal be tainted by your use of an editor?

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#3 Post by Klytos » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:22 am

Yeah it's cheating. But good luck to ya.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Music Head » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:33 am

adeyke wrote:Using a 3rd party program to modify your character is undoubtedly cheating. However, you're only cheating yourself (unless you then brag about your character or something).

The question is this: what do you have to gain from doing it? Those 6 extra points in lockpicking won't make any difference in gameplay. The only reason you'd want them is in order have perfect stats. However, if perfection is what you're after, wouldn't that very goal be tainted by your use of an editor?
Yes, but i can't see any other way around this i don't know why i can't get my stats up if i could i would definnatly do it the normal way. So i want to ask if anyone knows how to overcome the problem? Berfore i do edit my charector.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:52 am

well I have my old stats written down and my save got corrupt so it wouldn't be sheating then would it?

adeyke

#6 Post by adeyke » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:11 pm

I managed to get 100 lockpicking in QfG1, so it's possible You might just have to spend some more time picking locks and/or your nose.

As for alternatives, you could try to spending that extra time to get the perfect 100, or you could just be satsfied with 94. In QfG2, it won't take much longer to get from 94 to 200 than it would to got from 100 to 200, and I don't think there's ever a case where the difference between 94 and 100 will actually mean the different between failure and success. So why bother?

I do see the appeal in having a completely perfect character. It's nice to be able to say "My QfG1 character is the absolutely best possible character." However, to me, it'd be meaningless to say "My QfG1 character is the absolutely best possible character, because I edited him to make him that way."

Also, if it was actually impossible to get the full 100 (it isn't in this case), editing it would be even worse, since you'd be getting something that legit players can't ever get. So saying that there's no other way to get those stats is hardly an excuse.