Quotes

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

Quotes

#1 Post by Klytos » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:17 pm

I know there's a lot of intelligent people around these forums, so I thought of a new game of sorts. I have a few favorite quotes which mean something to me, so I thought I'd share one and see if anyone else had any favorite quotes they'd like to share.

"Freedom has it's problems. Democracy is not perfect. But we've never had to build a wall to keep our people in." President John F Kennedy, Berlin West Germany.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

Re: Quotes

#2 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:35 pm

"I quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emmerson.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

#3 Post by rugged » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:09 am

" A free man can't be equal and an equal man can't be free" - someone wise

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#4 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:41 pm

"And, he gave it for his Opinion, that whoever could make two Ears of Corn, or two blades of Grass to grow upon a Spot of Ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of Mankind, and do more essential Service to his Country than the whole Race of Politicians put together."

-- Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels, 1726

I just posted this quote as one of my voice clips here.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:28 pm

"That's right, " said Switters. "I'm on the run from the Killer B's.... B for belief, B for belonging. The B's that lead most of the killing in the world. If you don't Belong among us, then you're our inferior, or our enemy, or both; and you can't Belong with us unless you Believe what we Believe. Maybe not even then, but it certainly helps. Our Religion, our party, our tribe, our town, our school, our race, our nation. Believe. Belong. Behave. Or Be damned." - Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates, 2000

I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.
--Aldous Huxley

Wisdom is the supreme part of happiness.
--Sophocles

"Most people are not particulary good at anything."
- George Carlin

"When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest at first with heavenly shows, as do I....." - Iago, Othello - Shakespeare.

These are some of my favorites. I have a text file on my computer full of old stuff I used to quote in random places, like my IM profile.

Bt

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#6 Post by Vipt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 pm

Non est, crede mihi, sapientis dicere 'Vivam':
Sera nimis vita est crastina: vive hodie.
--M. Valerius Martialis
I've never actually seen this translated, since I just found it in an ancient book of quotations that was written at a time when educated readers were (I'm guessing) expected to know Latin.

With my (rather flawed) knowledge of Latin, I translated it thus:
Believe me, it is not becoming of a wise man to say 'Then shall I live':
Tomorrow's life is already too late: live thou for today.
--Martial