The best Space Quest game?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

The best Space Quest game?

#1 Post by Klytos » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:34 am

Hey the Kings Quest thread was fun, so here's the space quest one.

SQ4 - Darker comedy, travelling to the AGI SQ1 was funny, and was actually a well thought out story.
SQ3 - The first SQ I played, was funny and I played it out with my little brother. Love the jokes like Alluminium Mullard, and Scumsoft.
SQ6 - I love this game. It looks right. It sounds right. And Roger is stuck in a road to start it. Funny stuff.
SQ2 - Cool. Had to clean up space vomit.
SQ1 - I found it hard going, just to inspire myself to play it. Had some fun moments though.
SQ1+ - Who cares? I already finished it once.
SQ5 - I never finished it. No other reason.

Radiant
Knight Status

#2 Post by Radiant » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:25 am

Yay!

5 - great star trek parody with a bunch of good jokes and other stuff. My only quibble is that it's too easy.
2 - one of the first quest games I've played; people may call it a simple repetition of 1, but imho it's more atmospherical. Maybe it's because I played 2 before playing 1.
4 - its diversity is its strong point, and I liked the time travel gimmick, plus visiting Ortega and Kerona once more
0 - this fangame is very good all-round, very nice puzzles and a good tie-in to SQ2; the only strange part is that roger gets the girl :)
1 - the classic! What can I say, I liked it a lot.
1+ - I never really appreciated the remake, it's buggy and the graphics have a strange atmosphere. And did I mention it's buggy? The (few) added puzzles are nice, though.
3 - while I liked the beginning, I feel it falls flat during the space travel. It doesn't make much sense that you would get the one meal containing the secret code, and rescuing the game authors is just lame (for the same reason I don't like larry/3 much). Plus you don't climax an adventure game ending with a bunch of arcade sequences.
pinkun maze challenge - gotta list it somewhere :)
2.5 - sorry but this game just falls flat. It's a good effort for a fangame, but it's mostly empty rooms and the puzzle design is poor and illogical.
4.5 - that three room hack that was spotted on the forums a month ago. Kill it!

(6 is unlisted because I haven't played it)

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:39 am

Probably:

SQ1
SQ2
SQ3
SQ4
SQ5
SQ6

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:54 am

haven't played 6.

in order:

SQIV - it's got elements of humour, along with some elements of seriousness and even some sadness. plus, good puzzles, the time travel is fun, good game in all.

SQII - i liked this one. good puzzles, good story, and lots of good funny stuff.

SQI - this one was tough in the beginning, but once I got beyond it, enjoyable game. Loved the bar and the various acts.

SQIII - way too easy, in my opinion.

SQV - never finished. didn't care for it.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:15 am

SQ4
SQ2
SQ1VGA
SQ1
SQ3
SQ6
SQ5

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:29 am

Space Quest IV - The is the Apex of the series; it's amazing.

Space Quest III - Second SCI game I ever received. For my 12th Birthday. God, I love that game. I'm also a big SUPERTRAMP fan, and Bob C. Benberg (Siebenberg) composed the game music.

Space Quest I - AGI/REMAKE, whatever. I dig it.

Space Quest II - I love it. Someone finish remaking it. Please?

Space Quest 6 - It was fun, but I didn't dig it AS much as the others.

Space Quest 5 - I've never played it. I suppose I should get it on EBAY or something.

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:38 am

Space Quest 4 CD-Version - great voices, jokes and an amazing plot!
Space Quest 5 - love the graphics, and the comic book like style & great plot.
Space Quest 6- HEY! Rogers lips move along with his speech. :p I love the music and the graphics but puzzles were way too hard.
Space Quest 1 VGA- Lush graphics, and um? yeah nice graphics.
Space Quest 2- amazing plot, understanding puzzles & had more potential.
Space Quest 3- nice graphics style, cool plot, and very funny moments.
Space quest 1 EGA- Best plot, amazing jokes.

Broomie
The Enigma

#8 Post by Broomie » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Space Quest 4 - Great story, humour and overall a grand adventure.
Space Quest 6 - The humour of this game is just brilliant, I still can't see why some people didn't enjoy it. (Such as adeyke)
Space Quest 3 - Again it was great and funny, but I found it really hard.
Space Quest 5 - It was abit tacky and the sounds were strange (Maybe because I mostly played it on the Roland sound setting) Yet it was an okay adventure.
Space Quest 1 - First Space Quest I played, I didn't get into it that much until I played the sequals.
Space Quest 2 - I honestly found this hard and boring, there were so many death traps I just didn't like it.

adeyke

#9 Post by adeyke » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:16 pm

Space Quest 6 - The humour of this game is just brilliant, I still can't see why some people didn't enjoy it. (Such as adeyke)
Personally, I just never really found anything in it funny.

And I didn't like how insulting the game is. It's funny when the game insults you for doing something stupid. It's not funny when the game insults you for just looking at your inventory, for doing the correct thing, and generally, for anything at all.

And I really didn't like the plot. They just swept the entire past under the carpet and hoped you'd forget it. Suddenly, the love of your life is Stellar Santiago, a person you hadn't even heard about before. Beatrice Wankmeister is just not important anymore, or something. And you're just supposed to accept that. And the whole cyberspace and human body parts were just... odd.

While I really didn't like the cartoony style of, say, KQ7, at least those of SQ6 have shading. And SQ did previously lean more towards cartoons than realism. So I can't really complain there.

Uhanimar
Knight Status

#10 Post by Uhanimar » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:32 pm

I like it when they insult you for doing something right :lol I should play that one :lol

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#11 Post by Alias » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:29 pm

adeyke wrote:
Personally, I just never really found anything in it funny.

And I didn't like how insulting the game is. It's funny when the game insults you for doing something stupid. It's not funny when the game insults you for just looking at your inventory, for doing the correct thing, and generally, for anything at all.

And I really didn't like the plot. They just swept the entire past under the carpet and hoped you'd forget it. Suddenly, the love of your life is Stellar Santiago, a person you hadn't even heard about before. Beatrice Wankmeister is just not important anymore, or something. And you're just supposed to accept that. And the whole cyberspace and human body parts were just... odd.

While I really didn't like the cartoony style of, say, KQ7, at least those of SQ6 have shading. And SQ did previously lean more towards cartoons than realism. So I can't really complain there.
Just to add to that, the puzzles were imposible. >:

adeyke

#12 Post by adeyke » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:27 am

Actually, come to think of it, I think I know what I dislike most about SQ5 and SQ6. They're not Space Quest games; they're Star Trek parodies.

SQ1-4 did have occasional references to Star Trek. The Enterprise is seen at Monolith Burgers in SQ3. This didn't affect the plot in any way, though. It's just cute little reference.

SQ5-6, however, don't even try to be subtle about it. StarCon is StarFleet. Almost all the technology was copied straight from Star Trek: the communicator, the transporter, the replicator, the holodeck, the viewscreen, the cloaking device, and so on. Even the color-coded uniforms, the bridge design, and the computer interface are copied. Even some characters are based, to some degree or other, on Star Trek (don't try to tell me they just made up the name Raems T. Quirk). Now, some of this was parodied and made to be humourous. However, the fact remains that large parts of the game are simply based directly off of Star Trek, while the same could not be said of SQ1-4.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong about Star Trek parodies, but it's not Space Quest.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#13 Post by Fribbi » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I say Space Quest 4 because it was my first Space Quest game I have played and after that I baugth the collection and after that Space quest 6.

4 best because it is my first game I played. ;)
1 good story and the VGA version of this game are even better.
3 Interesting story. The adventure rules
5 this game is not a Space Quest game is rather Startrek game to me.
2 boring but it has some spicy story
6 Poor (because it has a big bug when I try to insert a card in the lab room) And it is totally a joke game. :cry

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#14 Post by Kurdt » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:37 am

Regardless of the shameless Star Trek parody of SQ5 and 6, I didn't think that took away from the merits of either games. Besides, regarding the whole Roger and Stellar thing, if you ask Josh Mandel to this day he'll say that they were always just friends. There was no "Love of his life" thing going on at all, they were just buddies. I mean, yeah, she asked him out at the beginning, but he said he was with Bea and they even made a joke about him "wearing his schphincter for a necklace" if he ever cheated on her. So no, to Roger she was just a friend.

That said, here are my favs:

SQ4 -- First adventure game I ever played, kinda. I watched my best friend's older brother play this game when it first came out. A few years later I got my own computer and eventually got my own copy of this game and played. It was awesome then and it's awesome now. It'll always be my fav.
SQ6 -- Just a great game. Well-made, well-written, and well-acted. I love it.
SQ1 -- First SQ game I actually owned/played on my own. Always was a thrill.
SQ5 -- First game I ever beat and it holds a soft spot in my heart. Great game.
SQ3 -- Very different flavor than the others to me and I don't know why. I used to hate it because of that, but now I love it because of that.
SQ2 -- Loved this game but felt it was the most limited of the series. Still awesome, though.

guyper1
Peasant Status

#15 Post by guyper1 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:57 pm

Space Quest 5 is my most favorite cause it was my first SQ game, that game was hilarious

And SQ6 is my least favorite cause I hate the cartoon graphics, the puzzles don't make sense and I was really disappointed that they didn't put Beatrice in it
Last edited by guyper1 on Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jafar
Super Star

#16 Post by Jafar » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:24 am

Typo alert!
And SQ5 is my least favorite cause I hate the cartoon graphics, the puzzles don't make sense and I was really disappointed that they didn't put Beatrice in it
Anyway, I only played the first two. I think I liked the second one better.

guyper1
Peasant Status

#17 Post by guyper1 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:54 am

Oops! Thanks Jafar

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#18 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:24 am

Space Quest is a spoof, I mean from the start it was based on star trek batlle star galatica and those programs. I mean un-like Quest for glory which is a total original game.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#19 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:21 pm

Rog wrote:I mean un-like Quest for glory which is a total original game.
Yeah, I mean, it's not based on Dungeon's and Dragon's AT ALL!!!!!

Bt

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#20 Post by Alias » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Finally someone who can see it my way.

Hey.... :|

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#21 Post by Klytos » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:02 pm

The problem with Dungeons and Dragons is that it's so damn big and covers EVERYTHING possible is a medievil fantasy world. I mean, someone uses a dragon in a game and it's "based on D&D". Cast a spell, "D&D".

I think QFG is fairly original.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#22 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:03 am

SQ6 was probably the funniest, but also the least SQ of the whole series IMHO.

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#23 Post by Alias » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:11 pm

I think Space Quest 4 CD version in one of the best Adventure games of all time.

Gav
Knight Status

#24 Post by Gav » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:45 am

I love it how you (Rog) rate Space quest 1 EGA as the worst of the space quests, but describe it as having:

- Best plot
- Amazing jokes.

I guess it makes sense since the plot and humour are such small parts of the games.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#25 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:04 am

SQ1EGA - First SQ game I've played. Was simply the best SQ ever.
SQ3 - Much better than 2. Better story.
SQ4 - Nice graphics and story... Will enjoy playing it again a few times.
SQ2 - Was simply made to be a 'sequel', but it had its nice points.
SQ5 - Won't bother playing it again.
SQ6 - Won't bother playing it again.

5&6 - Became a mix between Star Trek & Larry. To me they've lost the plot.