Kolyma

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Daffi
Peasant Status

Kolyma

#1 Post by Daffi » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:29 am

just wandering -- does Kolyma have anything to do with the notorious Gulag by that name?  the spelling's a bit different, but the resemblance seems to great for a mere coinsidence...

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#2 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:57 pm

As far as I know:
1 Kolyma is the name of a country in Sierra's King's Quest II and AGDI's Kings Quest II VGA.
2 There is a river which is called Kolyma in Eastern Siberia, as far I understand there are a few other places including a mountain range with the word Kolyma in the name there.

Daffi
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Daffi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:43 pm

well, (1) is the reason i asked it in the first place.  (2) gave its name to one of the worst Stalinist gulags in the USSR (near the river, hence the name of the gulag).  i was wondering if the good people of sierra (followed by the great agdi team) used that name intentionally (which would make the Father Stalin, Hagatha might be the gulag commander following orders from mocow, the dwarf might represent the criminal prisoners who were known as vicious people who tormented the political prisoners -- graham and valanice, and of course the count and his family -- the monks could be people who turned over to the dark side and gave people over to the secret police and the merchant would be what, a forign capitalist as the communists saw them.  i'm still working on the sharkees and the horse).
am i going too far?  as a graduate english student i've seen things taken further (a Lacanian professor explained to us how every T and P in shakespeare is a phallic symbol, while all Os are orificial symbols, i swear to god), but this actually sounds semi reasonable.  could sierra be a political group under the facde of computer games?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:16 pm

I personally think that's extremely far-fetched. It would be the most obscure specimen in a collection of otherwise overly blatant references. :)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#5 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:37 am

this is like when someone on the internet said that the patriots in MGS2 represented the PATRIOT act by bush I then told them metal gear solid 2 was made if not written 2 or 3 years before that was passed and almost around the time he became prez. Furthermore he connected GW which was the codename given to Metal Gears AI system that made people question reality was supposed to be our friend George W THEN he goes on to say how Solidus (bad guy) who was president before the patriots overthrew him and Solidus first name? George (Sears) he said in conclusion that GWB is making a mistake with the patriot act and that it will ruin him so here I am thinking OMG MAN IT'S JUST A FREAKING GAME! IT MAY BE GOOD BUT TRY NOT TO THINK SO MUCH ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR BRAIN! YOU CAN'T TAKE MUCH MORE CAPTAIN!

also as a side note I'd like to pont out that by playing MGS3 Snake Eater I noticed it was the same story over and over but the maps get a lil more complicated everygame and the story's tie togoether a bit everywhere but because the main character is always comprised of the same genes (and the boss of #1 had the same genes but dominant) they always react the same way. on top of this they all have the code name snake. Oh ya and in 2 and 3 the boss is your mentor except for 1 where it's your clone! i can't wait to see what Hideo kobbles together for MGS4: Snake redoer starting with 10 seconds before MGS1 and all the way to part 2 of MGS2 lol well now i'm angry good night all

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#6 Post by Senor Matt » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:39 am

Daffi wrote:am i going too far?  as a graduate english student i've seen things taken further (a Lacanian professor explained to us how every T and P in shakespeare is a phallic symbol, while all Os are orificial symbols, i swear to god),
Boy, if there's any academic field where they overanalyze things WAY too much it is definitely english!!  I swear, every book has to have their Jesus Christ figure and hidden political agendas everywhere.  Sometimes it's just a story people!!! >:

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away, but I've known one too many pompous, arrogant, stupid english teachers that were thoroughly convinced that the only way any book could be interpreted was their way, and any other interpretation was just wrong becaus they've studied that book for decades. Well if I studied the same book for decades, I'd probably get bored with it and start searching for hidden meanings that aren't really there too.

Ok, now I'm done with my ranting...at least for now... :evil  ;)

Sorry for the bad punctuation...
Last edited by Senor Matt on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:04 am

holy run on sentence batman!

MuzlakOofmay
Lumberjack

#8 Post by MuzlakOofmay » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:46 pm

I'm with senior matt. I have the same problem with english. Sometimes they overanalye things to the point where it's unenjoyable.

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#9 Post by Klytos » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:49 am

Kolyma, isn't that the name of the evil god in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom? "Kolyma! Kolyma!"  :lol

Jafar
Super Star

#10 Post by Jafar » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:50 am

No, thats Khali-ma  or something.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Goddess

#11 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:02 am

Enter the mythology buff... :D

It's Kali, the mother goddess in Hindu mythology (I think "ma" was an honorific suffix).  She has both a creative and a destructive nature.  Needless to say, the Thuggee in ToD focused on the destructive part...

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#12 Post by Klytos » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:33 am

Brainiac, Brainiac, Brainiac. You are a dude.  :lol

Radiant
Knight Status

#13 Post by Radiant » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:38 pm

For what it's worth - I once made up eighteen fantasy names for a pantheon in my role playing campaign. Several of them aren't even pronouncable in English. However, nearly all of them show up in google as companies of some  sort, or obscure locations, or whatever. I guess there's only so many names to go around.