Game Size

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Logic Probe
Peasant Status

Game Size

#1 Post by Logic Probe » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:54 am

I have played many Sierra Adventure games in the past. But on thing odd I noticed is that the Sierra Games (example QFG 4) was about 14 MBs of size. Whereas the Tierra Games (example KQ1) is an enourmous 63 MB. Obviously QFG 4 is more complex than KQ1 and thus one can wonder how come it is (a lot) less in size??

But any way Tierra is doing a great job keeping old treasures like the KQ the QFG series available. KQ1 was great to play and I am currently in the process of downloading KQ2. AGD1 and AGD2...... we are not worthy!!!

By the way.... I finished KQ1 with out encountring the bean stalk (which I got to know through a screen shot). Where is it???

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:57 am

KQ1 had higher resolution (I think, can't be positive) but it also had voiceovers...wait they both did. I haven't played either very much so I geuss I'm practically useless here. the main thing is what is 63mb? especially now that most people have 40GB!

adeyke

#3 Post by adeyke » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:45 pm

One big reason is that AGS wasn't optimized for size.  The development time is spent on implementing new features instead of trying to reduce the file sizes.  sierra's games, OTOH, were originally distributed on floppies and installed onto small hard drives, so a low file size was really essential.  Needing several dozens of installation floppies would be really unreasonable.

However, there are also things like the higher resolution (16 bit colour vs. 8 bit), the speech pack, and the digital music pack.  I can't check right now just how much all of these contribute to the file size, and how they compare to QfG4, though.