Remaking KQ1VGA

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

Remaking KQ1VGA

#1 Post by daventry » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:30 pm

I find KQ1VGA too weird in a way, you made excellent changes to KQ2 by adding a village and Characters that makes the Game much more understandable. How does Graham know where to find the 3 Treasures when no one tells him where they are, so i made a way to what you can do if you decide to re-make KQ1VGA.

The Fairy: Dear Graham, i give you this protective Spell that will aid you in your Quest. Go into the well East of here, then you shall find the Magic Mirror witch is gaurded by a fearsome Dragon.

Part Of my Walkthrough
A Fairy will appear. She will give you a short protective spell, then go [E3X] to the well. Cut the rope with your dagger, then you will get the bucket. Now lower the rope into the well, then climb down. When you get to the end of you're rope, jump in the water and dive. Go down to the left and up, then leave the water. Go left, then you will see a Dragon. Approach him, then he will blow a fire ball towards you. Luckily, the spell is protecting you. Go right, then fill your bucket with water. Go left, then throw the water at him. He will blow smoke everywhere. He's so embarrassed, that he moves a boulder blocking the exit and sulks away. Take the Magic Mirror.

[b]I mean the Fairy just tells him that her spell will protect him, protect him from what.[/b]

The Gnome: Wow Graham, i did not think you were that smart by geussing my name, take these three magic beans, then plant them on a field to the East of here. By climbing the beanstaslk to the top, you shall find the Magic Chest witch is gaurded by a Giant.

Or

You Failed to geuss my name, take this Golden Key to unlock a door where you must follow a winding road that will lead you to the Magic Chest witch is gaurded by a Giant.

Part Of my Walkthrough
You will see a little Gnome. Talk to him, then he will give you three changes to guess his name. Guess it right, then he will give you three magic beans. Go right to another bridge, then cross it carefully. Plant the beans in the flower patch, then a huge beanstalk will grow into the clouds. Save you're game often while climbing the beanstalk. When you enter the clouds, go [E2X] then use the ring on yourself. Go right, then stay here until the Giant goes to sleep. See the Chest he carried, that is King Edward's Magic Chest. Take it, then go right into the cave. Make sure you walk in the right places, or you will fall to your death. It would be a good idea to save your game often.

Or

Go to the cave with a door, then use the key to go through. Climb the winding path, but make sure you walk in the right places or you will fall to your death. It would be a good idea to save your game often. When you reach the top, use the ring on yourself. Go left, then stay here until the Giant goes to sleep. See the Chest he carried, that is King Edward's Magic Chest. Take it, then go right into the cave. Make sure you walk in the right places, or you will fall to your death. It would be a good idea to save your game often.

[b]I mean the Gnome just tells him to figure things out by himself, he does not give him more advice or anything.[/b]

Okay, now Graham has two Magic Treasures and no one is around to give him a clue as to where to find the third Magic Treasure or how to get there. Here is my solution.

In the Ginger Bread House when Graham is in the Witch'es bedroom, he should open the drawer to find another note that tells him:

When hanging onto a Condor's feet, thou shall be taken away to a place where a hungry Rat gaurds a door that will lead to the home of the Leprechauns that loves the sound of music. When thou succeed to find thy Treasure, a Mushroom shall be the key to make thy escape through the tiniest of places.

[b]I mean, how does he know about a hungry Rat if there is no way to go back to get some Cheese or when he sees a Leprichaun that will catch him when he does not even has a Violin or a Clover, or when he has the Shield there is no way to get out of the Cave.[/b]
Last edited by daventry on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#2 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:33 pm

I doubt AGDI or anyone will re-re-make KQ1VGA, but some nice ideas nontheless!

daventry
Knight Status

#3 Post by daventry » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:38 pm

Thank you :)

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:33 pm

Eh.

Most adventure games have an overall story arc, with puzzles along the way to make it more interesting.  This isn't really the case for KQ1.  There isn't really a story, just "get three magic items."  Because of this, the puzzles can't advance the plot at all; instead, they're just puzzles for the sake of puzzles.  The solutions generally did make sense, but where you find the solution doesn't (why is there a dagger under a rock, a bowl on the ground, a slingshot in a tree, etc.).  Instead, it seems the items and characters are just scattered about wherever there's a place for them.

Now, since KQ1 is such an old game, I can't really blame it for this lack of design.  However, a hypothetical enhanced remake would have to fix these fundamental problems.  That is, it'd need the KQ2+ treatment.

Your proposed solutions would just make the game even more illogical.  It's strange enough that the witch would have a hint about the gnome's name.  However, it makes absolutely no sense that she'd have instructions for how to get to the leprechauns.  The condor, the rat, and the mushroom already make no sense, but having an NPC talk about them makes that even more obvious.

Also, it would basically be a complete spoiler from within the game.  The game is all about finding the three treasures and taking them.  If you have characters that tell you exactly how to do that, there's nothing left for the player to do.

A real solution would mean giving the game a story, and either explaining why characters and items are where they are or changing them.  Once the game actually makes sense, the player will naturally know what he's supposed do.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#5 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:46 am

My idea would be to bring back this: Image
Last edited by Boogeyman on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#6 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Your image tag is broken, Boogyman. Wasn't the fight with wolf and Graham pictured in a fightcloud in KQ1VGA? I really liked the cartoony humor in KQ1EGA (the remake.)

BTW:
Those pictures that appear at the bottom of most of your messages are quite funny, Boogeyman.

(Oh, yes this topic was already 22 days old. I have to be careful not to revive any really old topics.)

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#7 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 pm

The fight isn't shown in AGDI KQ1VGA.

As for my Sig pictures, I made Rosella and the Were-Beast myself, though the gawking Hero is an actual screenshot.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#8 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:18 pm

You mean there actually is a shot with the hero's eyes popping out of their sockets in Quest for Glory III?  :rollin How do you get to see that shot while playing the game? I thought that both pictures at the bottom of your messages were doctored. Considering the type of the humor in those pictures, do you like the Leisure Suit Larry games?

It's a shame that the fight isn't shown in KQIVGA.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:06 pm

The eyes/tongue occurs very randomly after the transformation of the leopard lady. It's an easter egg that may or may not be triggered.

daventry
Knight Status

#10 Post by daventry » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:54 pm

[quote="adeyke"]Eh.

Most adventure games have an overall story arc, with puzzles along the way to make it more interesting.  This isn't really the case for KQ1.  There isn't really a story, just "get three magic items."  Because of this, the puzzles can't advance the plot at all; instead, they're just puzzles for the sake of puzzles.  The solutions generally did make sense, but where you find the solution doesn't (why is there a dagger under a rock, a bowl on the ground, a slingshot in a tree, etc.).  Instead, it seems the items and characters are just scattered about wherever there's a place for them.

Now, since KQ1 is such an old game, I can't really blame it for this lack of design.  However, a hypothetical enhanced remake would have to fix these fundamental problems.  That is, it'd need the KQ2+ treatment.

Your proposed solutions would just make the game even more illogical.  It's strange enough that the witch would have a hint about the gnome's name.  However, it makes absolutely no sense that she'd have instructions for how to get to the leprechauns.  The condor, the rat, and the mushroom already make no sense, but having an NPC talk about them makes that even more obvious.

Also, it would basically be a complete spoiler from within the game.  The game is all about finding the three treasures and taking them.  If you have characters that tell you exactly how to do that, there's nothing left for the player to do.

A real solution would mean giving the game a story, and either explaining why characters and items are where they are or changing them.  Once the game actually makes sense, the player will naturally know what he's supposed do.[/quote]

:) Oh ok, :evil but i would gladly do it if i knew how to make Games and i would pay Erpy. :D