problem with gnome's name

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

bwrdogs
Peasant Status

problem with gnome's name

#1 Post by bwrdogs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:18 am

Have spelt the gnome's name in all variations suggested in some of the walkthroughs but not able to get it right. I tried [spoiler]NIKSTLITSELPMUR, RUMPLESTILTSKIN, IFNKOVHGROGHPRM. NIKSTLITSLEPMUR, RUMPELSTILTSKIN.[/spoiler] Are any of these right or is there something wrong with my download copy. I finished the game using the key but like to try the beanstalk route.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:40 am

Try doing the name in lowercase. I can't remember if that has anything to do with it or not...

I always use

[spoiler]nikstlitselpmur[/spoiler]

Frank
Peasant Status

Re: problem with gnome's name

#3 Post by Frank » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:02 pm

bwrdogs wrote:Have spelt the gnome's name in all variations suggested in some of the walkthroughs but not able to get it right. I tried [spoiler]NIKSTLITSELPMUR, RUMPLESTILTSKIN, IFNKOVHGROGHPRM. NIKSTLITSLEPMUR, RUMPELSTILTSKIN.[/spoiler] Are any of these right or is there something wrong with my download copy. I finished the game using the key but like to try the beanstalk route.
[spoiler]NIKSTLITSELPMUR[/spoiler]

worked for me, but I may have had only the first letter upper case. The gnome compliments you on being so clever when you get it right.

The Avatar
Knight Status

tale of said name

#4 Post by The Avatar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:12 pm

In the actual tale, there is a little known peom.. which the little man cries as he dances around a fire the day before his name is guessed:

"Today do I bake, tomorrow I brew,
 The day after that the Queen's child comes in;
 And oh!  I am glad that nobody knew
 That the name I am called is [spoiler]Rumpelstiltskin[/spoiler]!"

When the miller's daughter, who became queen successfully guessed his name, he stamped with his right foot so hard that it went into the ground above his knee; then he seized his left foot with both his hands in such a fury that he split in two, and there was an end of him.  So she did not have to give up her child.   8o