Screen overflow problem

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Chipster
Peasant Status

Screen overflow problem

#1 Post by Chipster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 pm

(Dunno whether this is the right forum for this question but I searched all over and couldn't find anything like it so here goes):

The top part of the the KQ1VGA game screen runs off my monitor.  I can see most of the icon table but not the points counter.  Is this something that can be adjusted using the game options or else something I need to manually adjust on my monitor just for this game?  I am using all the default settings the game installed and except for this gliche, the game operates great and is lots & lots of fun to play (even without knowing how many points I am making   :)    )

Watcha think?

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#2 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:06 pm

are your other applications cut off? Does this happen in other games?

Chipster
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Chipster » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:21 pm

This game is the only one that overflows like this.  I was tempted to play with the display adjustments on the monitor to downsize the screen and/or move it down some but wondered if the game itself had some settings to change it.  Problem is: if I do screw with the display I suspect my other apps will run off the bottom in a similar fashion that KQ1VGA screen is running off top.

(For the sake of reference, I am using High Color 16-bit with a 1024x768 screen area display setting and really need it set like this for "real" work. Of course, the monitor has its own screen adjustment independent of WinME, my OS.)

Hope this helps.  Tx.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#4 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:03 am

Your monitor should remember settings for each resolution it can display. The King's Quest remakes run at 320x200, so adjusting the settings for this resolution shouldn't affect how applications running at other resolutions are displayed. Give it a shot. If you have to adjust your monitor back after you get done playing, that's not really that hard.

The other option would be to run the options menu and set the game to play at 640x400 in a window. This runs the game a lot smaller on your screen though, and isn't recommended if you can get the game to run full screen at 320x200 (as it sounds like you can do).

Hope that helps.

Chipster
Peasant Status

Finally!

#5 Post by Chipster » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 am

My latest trial & error report:

- Resizing, shifting & recalibrating the monitor screen did NOT work.

- Resetting the WinME display to all other settings (848x480,800x600 & 640x480, the smallest I can configure) did NOT work.

What DID work was running the game at 640x400.

But there's a condition...  

It HAS to be a new game started in 640x400.  

I tried to restore a save from a game started in 300x240 (or whatever the default is) and I got an internal game error for each attempt.  Actually, it makes sense that the game can't translate between settings so a new game it will be.

In 640x400 the screen is clear (actually, it's clearer!) and fully visible, including all text at the top of the screen.  Performance? Ummm, a little slower but not enough to matter.  (1GHz Pentium)

So I am wondering if I could run it at 300x240 in a separate window which could be resized... maybe then the full screen would also be visible?  Dunno.  If I have time I may experiment some more.

So now I am off to try catching that moody condor until my carpal tunnel flares up again  :p

Tx to all for the suggestions!