I won, but I lost?!

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

davedpf
Peasant Status

I won, but I lost?!

#1 Post by davedpf » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Funny thing just happened.  I introduced my daughter to KQ1 and watched over her while she was playing it, as it is her first adventure game.  She finished gathering all 3 treasures & then went to the castle.  But instead of the expected "you won" ending, it tells us that King Edward dies and everyone learns to be happy & prosperous in the years to come.

We had all 3 treasures & went straight to the castle afterward, so why did we get this ending instead?  Were we just too slow in gathering them all??

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

King's Quest 1 is the story of how Graham became king of Daventry. You collected all the treasures, and therefore King Edward named you as his heir. When he dies, you become king. There are many more games in the King's Quest series that revolve around Graham and his royal family. This game tells of how it all began.

Try playing the other game available for download here: King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones. It tells of how Graham found his bride.

davedpf
Peasant Status

#3 Post by davedpf » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm

I figured it out...

There was a problem with the sound when we started it up this last time, so rather than tinker with it, we just played it.  When we got into the throne room, and the squire said "There is nothing that can be done", we couldn't get rid of the message, so we hit ESC & bypassed all the good stuff, going straight to the ending.  :o

Just now, I fixed the sound problem, and it worked fine.