KQ1 - Getting started (sorry, real beginner needs help!)

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Boo
Peasant Status

KQ1 - Getting started (sorry, real beginner needs help!)

#1 Post by Boo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:16 pm

I've just got the whole KQ Series 1-7. I downloaded and printed off the manual but can't find a list of key commands telling me how to make my character do the basic movements (ie picking something up). All I have are 2 onscreen prompts to bend & jump. I've read & re-read the manual. I checked a number of forums etc online but no joy.
I suppose I'm the only really thick one out here!
Please be gentle with me!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Are you perhaps referring to the original EGA version? (or its 16 color remake by Sierra?)

In that case, you'll have to type in commands such as "get carrot" or "give bowl".

Boo
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Boo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Yes - tried this but it just says "Keep it to yourself" and I don't seem to have accomplished anything!

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Could you name the exact game you're playing (EGA original, EGA remake or VGA remake) and the exact situation where you are stuck?

Boo
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Boo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Well, I've looked everywhere and can only find that it is a Sierra product, supported by Dosbox - nothing else.
As to where I'm having problems - I can type instructions when I get to anything (ie "Give me the bowl" and the message "keep it to yourself" appears). My character can walk through each screen (using mouse or keyboard), jump & bend but that is that!
I'm unable to find out how to instruct my character to pick things up or do anything other than that which I've mentioned above.
Is there a list of command prompts that I'm missing from the manual or something do you think?
Sorry to be such a novice.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:02 pm

I don't know why you're having trouble. It's like Erpy said, walk up to the object you want like a bowl and type "get bowl". That should work. My only guess is that you're not walking up to the object? Typing "give me the bowl" will not work. You have to type the actions you want to perform directly into the game. "Asking" the game to do things for you isn't going to work. You're taking the wrong approach there.

It's obvious it is one of the Sierra versions if you can type at all. But is Graham yellow or regular skin colour? Maybe a better question would be can you use the mouse in-game?

Boo
Peasant Status

#7 Post by Boo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:02 pm

BRILLIANT - THANKYOU - YOU'RE RIGHT, I WAS TYPING DIRECTIONS IN THE WRONG WAY.
I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW!

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:59 am

Lol this has gotta be a first! I never heard of parser interface troubles in this way before.

Boo
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Boo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:52 am

You're talking a whole different language there my friend - I'm a novice for sure but we've all gotta start somewhere!
I don't seem to have the complete manual - I don't have a section entitled "Tips For New Adventure Players" - Maybe this would have answered my questions.
Regards Boo

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 am

Hey, calm down there, dude. Didn't mean anything by it.

Boo
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Boo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:07 am

No problems - advice was good