King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (Version 4.1) has been released for both PC and Mac. Thanks for Les Wavrychuk for assisting with the Mac version!
You can get the latest builds from the King's Quest 1 page
on the AGDI website.
Important: Remember to uninstall any previous versions of King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown from your system prior
to installing version 4.1. Since we have changed installer software, v4.1 shouldn't be installed over an existing installation, as this has the potential to leave ghost files behind when you later uninstall. Also, note that save game files aren't compatible between different game versions.
CHANGES TO VERSION 4.1
WARNING: GAME SPOILERS AHEAD
- Fixed: a bug that caused the invisibility ring's expiration message to appear during the end credits
- Fixed: the Magic Chest sometimes disappearing behind trees when killing the giant with the slingshot
- Fixed: a bug where Graham could eat the mushroom while invisible, despite being unable to find his mouth
- Fixed: graphics filters in the winsetup.exe program crashing the game
- Fixed: a crash when loading save-game files by double-clicking on them and then clicking restart
- Fixed: a bug where opening and closing the Restore GUI on the title screen caused the icon bar to appear
- Changed: the appearance of Graham's hair in the dialog portrait without his adventurer's hat
- Fixed: a bug where CTRL+Q and TAB could cause glitches after the Sorcerer freezes Graham.
- Changed: the way the dragon behaves when the protection spell expires within close proximity to it
- Changed: the 'drowning' death GUI picture to one of Graham kneeling when eating the mushroom too early
- Changed: the appearance of the hole in the base of the slingshot tree, making it more visible
- Changed: save-games to be saved in the game directory again, rather than in My Documents/My Saved Games
- Changed: the game's installer to use Inno Setup for better compression and performance
- Added: an Apple Mac port of the game
- Added: a checkbox to the installer asking whether the user wants to create a game desktop icon or not