King's Quest I Remake v4.1 released (Now with Mac goodness)

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

daventry
Knight Status

Re: New AGDI site goes live & King's Quest I Re-released!

#26 Post by daventry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh yea, by these guys. http://www.mmgames.org/KQ4/ :o :D

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#27 Post by Erpy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Is KQ2VGA gonna be fixed, the Father Story with the Crown Bussiness to make us understand it more.
Nope...the game will just receive a facelift...sometimes leaving things to the imagination is better than spelling everything out for people.
Any thought on Remaking KQ4VGA since KQ3VGA has already been made.
AGDI will not remake KQ4.

Knight Status

#28 Post by 1234567890 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Erpy wrote:
AGDI will not remake KQ4.

But MMGames will

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#29 Post by DrJones » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 pm

The fairy godmother is cute. :D

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#30 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am

I gotta say I'm very grateful that you chose to re-encode the video cutscenes into Vorbis video format. The Opening logo animation is now viewable in Linux via Wine!

ciborium
Peasant Status

#31 Post by ciborium » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 am

If we could only convince more AGSers to do so.

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

#32 Post by Music Head » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm

eriqchang wrote:And, as I do with all of my work, I have hidden one easter egg somewhere... Look closely in the AGDI site and click everywhere! Will you find it first? Post a screenshot here! ;)

Is this it? Was fun to look for while the game downloaded so so slow on my connection :).

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#33 Post by eriqchang » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Good job. You found the hidden Graham easter egg.

Just roll your mouse over Keapon's hat on the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Broomie
The Enigma

#34 Post by Broomie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Site looks great! And I'm playing through KQ1VGA again and its looking great! Shame I got a lot of work to do but once it's all done I'm going to devote a bit of time to completing it again.

One thing though, will you be redesigning the forum theme? The transition from the expansively themed AGDI home page to the white and bright blue theme of the forums isn't the best, especially since the AGDI logo is different also. Just a thought, anyway. Good job, otherwise!

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#35 Post by XboxNation » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:48 pm

New site is much better. The less flash, the better in general. Major improvement to html+PHP. This is how the web was meant to be viewed.

That said, KQ1 v4 is sure to be most excellent and I will play it very soon. The previous versions were amazing as well, and given the limitations of the original CGA palette, imagination was part of the original system requirements. If you didn't have it, you were out of luck, along with folks who didn't know how to use a keyboard.

Ah, how I long for the days when it was only bright, sophisticated, and competent people who used or had access to computers. But I digress.

King's Quest 4 will be remade when? I think that team has taken a massive siesta, perhaps permanently. Anyone have any grapevine knowledge as to whether it is actually still in development?

MusicallyInspired

#36 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:11 pm

XboxNation wrote:That said, KQ1 v4 is sure to be most excellent and I will play it very soon. The previous versions were amazing as well, and given the limitations of the original CGA palette, imagination was part of the original system requirements.
The original was in EGA not CGA. CGA is 4 colours.
Ah, how I long for the days when it was only bright, sophisticated, and competent people who used or had access to computers. But I digress.
Seconded.
King's Quest 4 will be remade when? I think that team has taken a massive siesta, perhaps permanently. Anyone have any grapevine knowledge as to whether it is actually still in development?
You can check on their forums. http://www.mmgames.org/KQ4/SMF/index.php

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#37 Post by Gronagor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:55 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:
XboxNation wrote:That said, KQ1 v4 is sure to be most excellent and I will play it very soon. The previous versions were amazing as well, and given the limitations of the original CGA palette, imagination was part of the original system requirements.
Depends on your computer back then. When KQ was released (and a number of years later) CGA was the most common. Most players never saw the EGA quality. (I myself was surprised when I saw the screenshots that AGDI posted! I remember all too well the dithered backgrounds) Point is, unless you popped it into your newer computer later on, you would never have been any wiser that those dithered screens weren't the real deal, which was unlikely for most people since you've had up to KQ4 and a number of other quests to play by then.

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#38 Post by XboxNation » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Well I have to say, walking through this [KQ1 v4] game is like walking through a piece of art. Which it is!

Also, what Gronagor said. CGA rocked. Had to be highly creative to make things look remotely reasonable with only 4 colors. I playt in CGA the first time with the parser. (Rock on!)

[quote=MusicallyInspired]You can check on their forums.[/quote]

I did. It appears there is life in them yet. It seems they need artists, of all things... any artists reading here that may be willing to lend them a hand?

MusicallyInspired

#39 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Gronagor wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Depends on your computer back then. When KQ was released (and a number of years later) CGA was the most common. Most players never saw the EGA quality. (I myself was surprised when I saw the screenshots that AGDI posted! I remember all too well the dithered backgrounds) Point is, unless you popped it into your newer computer later on, you would never have been any wiser that those dithered screens weren't the real deal, which was unlikely for most people since you've had up to KQ4 and a number of other quests to play by then.
Ah right. Now that I think of it the first copy of King's Quest that was released wasn't even in 16 colours, was it? Either CGA or B&W. But you're right about that anyway.

Amdahl
Peasant Status

#40 Post by Amdahl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:22 pm

It's hard to have millions of colors on a screen containing only 64,000 pixels
True, but 32-bit/24-bit color(32-bit is commonly 24-bit, the extra 8-bits being available for transparency effects) is still an accurate description. 16-bit color would be incorrect, because 16-bit color works out to 6 bits for green, 5-bits for red, and 5-bits for blue. This means you only have 32 shades of red and blue, and 64 shades of green. Depending on the scene, this can actually be worse than 8-bit color, which allows you to program your own 256-shade palette from a source of 24-bit colors(256 shades of each primary color).

The above type of 32-bit/24-bit is called True Color.

The newest standard is Deep Color, which you will often see on HDTVs w/HDMI 1.3 and the PS3. Deep Color doesn't limit you to 256 shades of each primary color; it can produce just about any shade at all. It supports 30, 36, and 48-bit modes. It is also referenced by the gamut name xvYCC. Not clear whether Blu-ray discs support it yet or not.

XboxNation
Peasant Status

#41 Post by XboxNation » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:19 am

Amdahl wrote:
It's hard to have millions of colors on a screen containing only 64,000 pixels
True, but 32-bit/24-bit color(32-bit is commonly 24-bit, the extra 8-bits being available for transparency effects) is still an accurate description. 16-bit color would be incorrect, because 16-bit color works out to 6 bits for green, 5-bits for red, and 5-bits for blue. This means you only have 32 shades of red and blue, and 64 shades of green. Depending on the scene, this can actually be worse than 8-bit color, which allows you to program your own 256-shade palette from a source of 24-bit colors(256 shades of each primary color).

The above type of 32-bit/24-bit is called True Color.

The newest standard is Deep Color, which you will often see on HDTVs w/HDMI 1.3 and the PS3. Deep Color doesn't limit you to 256 shades of each primary color; it can produce just about any shade at all. It supports 30, 36, and 48-bit modes. It is also referenced by the gamut name xvYCC. Not clear whether Blu-ray discs support it yet or not.
Awwrhh where else can we have discussions like this? Let's all pat ourselves on the back we're awesome!!!

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#42 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 am

Blah, Blah, Blargh....millions of colors is techincally blah blah blibbity blooh blooh.

I'll tell you what: I'm actually excited to play King's Quest II+ again. It's been a while since I've played, and I can't wait for the new version. It'll be a good time to play it again.

Bt

Knight Status

#43 Post by 1234567890 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:10 am

Hey, BT, 2009 posts! I can't wait either, I'd say exactly what BT said:
Blackthorne519 wrote:Blah, Blah, Blargh....millions of colors is techincally blah blah blibbity blooh blooh.
Very advanced, technical talk there BT, you may want to translate for n00bs :rollin :lol

MusicallyInspired

#44 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Indeed, Bt. It'll be great to play the three King's Quest remakes in succession one more time, once they're all ready.

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#45 Post by Boogeyman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 am

daventry wrote:Awsome, thanks for the Remake of KQ1VGA, but i thought you guys were gonna do the Game a little diffrent when i talked about it a few years ago. http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=10218 Infamous Adventures made a Special Sequence for KQ3VGA where we saw Manannan took a baby from a housekeeper and he vapourized her, why not make an Extra Sequence where we see King Edward and his Wife getting help from a Dwarf where he Steals the Magic Chest and then he gives it to a Giant in the Clouds, then Edward Marries a Woman and she turns into a Witch and steals the Magic Mirror and put it in a Cave with a Dragon, then we see a Leprichaun coming to Edward and steals the Magic Shield. You know, be creative with the Story. :p

Is KQ2VGA gonna be fixed, the Father Story with the Crown Bussiness to make us understand it more.

Any thought on Remaking KQ4VGA since KQ3VGA has already been made.
No, no, no. Dahlia stole the chest, the enchanter stole the Magic Mirror, and the dwarf stole the Magic Shield.

daventry
Knight Status

#46 Post by daventry » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:35 am

Well then why not expand the Story on them so that Graham can find out what happend and where to go look for the Treasure, be creative like they did with KQ2VGA.

We have a Vampire Story with Granny witch is a nice touch and New.
We have a Town, yes a Town. :p
The 3 Stones has a Story everytime you fined one.
We have some Rock Face witch is completly New to stick some Jewels in so that we can get tothe Tower.
The Darf is from Daventry and he is menchioned as the one who stole the Magi Chest or was that the Shield.
I still dont get this Father and the Crown thing witch is confusing and annoying the Actual Plot of the Game.

KQ2VGA is a whole New Ball Game and Vivendi dident Sue you Guys and yet TSL gets there Butt kicked.

What im saying is, if you guys risked yourselves with KQ2VGA, then you could've give KQ1VGA more Life and whats with the Golden Acorn if i can just chop the Tree down and take it wth me or the Magic Bowl in the Forest. :p

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#47 Post by Gronagor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:33 am

Really? I was under the impression VU had a deal for TSL (very much the same as AGDI), but TSL refused?!?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#48 Post by Erpy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:00 am

You guys are getting your stuff mixed up.

Tierra was offered an agreement and took it, hence the name change to AGD Interactive and the release of QFG2VGA and KQ1VGA 4.0 last august and januari.

KQ9.org was shut down and was offered an agreement to continue development, which they took...hence the name change to TSL.

SQ7.org was offered an agreement similar to the ones above and refused.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#49 Post by Gronagor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:12 am

Aha! You're right! That does ring a bell!
LOL! :lol

Apologies to TSL!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#50 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:50 pm

we should just make a Wikipedia page or something that people can reference.