Damn condor!!!

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Damn condor!!!

#1 Post by DrJones » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 pm

I've tried for three straight hours to catch the condor without success. I'm positioned in what it looks like to be a "pale cross" on the ground, I've slowed down the game to the minimum. I've saved game just before the condor appears, and I have clicked the condor on every single one of its animated frames (well, I guess). It's infuriating!! :cry

The FAQ says it's just a matter of timing, but I was playing it on Wine to see if it was completely playable on Linux and I'm not sure if it's Wine's fault or mine. It does look like the condor goes behind a rock for a second just before I try to pick him up, but I think that's just a masking glitch and has no effect on the game.

I'm playing good ol' horrible King's Quest I, without that silly "no-deadends" options that makes player happy instead of incredibly angry like me. :lol

By the way, good work on the re-remake! It looks great and with many more animations and light effects.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Damn condor!!!

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:29 pm

The timing was adjusted because, previously, jumping triggered a pause in the condor's flight, which looked odd. Now the condor's flight through the screen is seamless.

You now have to click the HAND icon on the condor much earlier in order to time the height of Graham's jump with the moment the bird's talons touch his hands.

As for where you need to be standing, there are two small rocks on the ground now which replace the old cross (which was too difficult to see - perhaps the Walkthough hasn't been updated to reflect this change). Having "No Dead-Ends" mode enabled or disabled won't effect the difficulty of the condor puzzle.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Thank you very much! With your help I got out of the Condor in no time, and now I rule Daventry!!

By the way, I finished the game invisible and it's buggy. During the credits I get a dialog box telling me that now I'm visible and the creatures of Daventry can eat me. :D

The lip-sincyng, new backgrounds and the narrator are awesome!!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Damn! There's always one little annoying bug that manages to remain in there. That one must have actually been present since the very first release. Oh well.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :)

Amdahl
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Amdahl » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:21 am

I wish I had read this thread two days ago.. I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to catch the condor. I saw a little cross in the dirt, and figured that must be it, then spent a lot of time experimenting west of the cross. Probably 100 attempts, the last third in slow-mo.

I got it on the second try after reading here.

I enjoyed the game a lot! I last(and first) played KQ1 in 1990 when the EGA remake came out. I was surprised how much I forgot. One of the kids even found it interesting enough to watch. I had to explain that the game was either 5 days, 8 years, 19 years, or 25 years old.