Possible Bug in the No-Dead-Ends Mode?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

OmerMor
Peasant Status

Possible Bug in the No-Dead-Ends Mode?

#1 Post by OmerMor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:23 pm

I've started to play game in this new mode, but quickly found 2 ways to die:
Falling into the moat, and falling from the troll's bridge.
Are those bugs?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Possible Bug in the No-Dead-Ends Mode?

#2 Post by DrJones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:27 pm

No dead-ends is not a "no death" mode. It's just a "don't get hopelessly stuck because I threw away this item that I need later and have no way to get it again" mode. :)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#3 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 pm

"Dead End" means being alive, but unable to finish the game. The KQ-games were full of dead ends...the dwarf stealing the magic mirror from you in KQ1, crossing the bridge whenever you didn't need to in KQ2, leaving Llewdor without invisibility ointment or storm brew in KQ3, breaking the shovel in KQ4, not saving the rat in KQ5, crossing the river Styx without the gauntlet in KQ6...those things.

If a game has dead ends, any savegame past the point where something bad happened is useless and often one has to start over. If a game has no dead ends (like KQ2+ or KQ1VGA 4.0 in no-dead-ends mode), you can always win the game as long as you're alive with the exception of some very poorly timed savegames. (like saving a split-second before you drown in the well)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#4 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 am

Erpy's well swimming scenario might not be a complete dead-end, since there's still a slight chance you could click the Hand icon on the stones very quickly after restoring the game (this would trigger Graham climbing up as a blocking action, thus pausing the drowning timer and allowing you to make it to safety).

An accurate explanation would be entering the wolf screen and standing in the very center, well away from any screen edges. Wait until the wolf runs out and then save your game just a moment before the wolf reaches you. In this scenario, upon restoring, you would not have enough time to walk to a screen edge (and exit) before the wolf catches you. Theoretically, you CAN still escape if you reach the edge; but the wolf's proximity makes it spatially impossible.

Badly timed save-games during the wolf and ogre scenes are the only types of 'dead-ends' still in the game. We took care of the one where the witch comes home and finishes boiling her cauldron while Graham is still in her bedroom.

Also, Erpy's "save just before drowning" scenario above would result in a dead-end if you were swimming in a large lake and could not swim to any riverbank edge in time, after restoring.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 am

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Erpy's well swimming scenario might not be a complete dead-end, since there's still a slight chance you could click the Hand icon on the stones very quickly after restoring the game (this would trigger Graham climbing up as a blocking action, thus pausing the drowning timer and allowing you to make it to safety).

An accurate explanation would be entering the wolf screen and standing in the very center, well away from any screen edges. Wait until the wolf runs out and then save your game just a moment before the wolf reaches you. In this scenario, upon restoring, you would not have enough time to walk to a screen edge (and exit) before the wolf catches you. Theoretically, you CAN still escape if you reach the edge; but the wolf's proximity makes it spatially impossible.

Badly timed save-games during the wolf and ogre scenes are the only types of 'dead-ends' still in the game. We took care of the one where the witch comes home and finishes boiling her cauldron while Graham is still in her bedroom.

Also, Erpy's "save just before drowning" scenario above would result in a dead-end if you were swimming in a large lake and could not swim to any riverbank edge in time, after restoring.
I wonder if the "press ESC to finish movement" option could prevent the wolf dead-end or not. Same thing for the bottom of the well. I specially enjoy how such a short game has so many alternate solutions, but it's a pity they give less points, make them look like 'worse solutions'. The main solution for the giant is also one of Roberta Williams's worst puzzles ever, heh. :lol

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#6 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 am

Oh, I think the "guessing the gnome's name puzzle" matches (if not exceeds it) in stupidity, especially in it's original form (IFNKOVHGROGHPRM). :D

As for using the Escape key in the situations I mentioned above, nope, it won't work. Skipping Graham's walk animation also skips the wolf animation as well, so it will only jump to the point where the wolf catches you.

The only thing that could possibly save your skin is a fluke path-finding deviation on the wolf's part after restoring. For example, the shape of the walkable area might confuse the wolf and cause him to suddenly backtrack briefly, and then start running towards Graham again. If such a path-finding glitch occurs, then it may just buy you enough time to make it to a screen edge and escape. I have seen this occur a few times before, albeit very infrequently.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#7 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:38 am

I did get stuck in a lake in the new version. I couldn't walk or move. I should have saved a screenshot, but I didn't. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

Bt

SingleMessPoster
Peasant Status

#8 Post by SingleMessPoster » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:19 am

I think I found a dead end in no-dead-end mode:

After entering Cloudland via the cave, I went south, grabbed the slingshot, went back north and then west. Since I entered from the west, the giant headed east towards me. Just before he went behind a tree, however, I used the slingshot on him. The giant is now dead, but his entire right side is obscured by the tree. Is there any way to get the magic chest from behind the tree, or do I have to restart?
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

greensenshi
Knight Status

#9 Post by greensenshi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 am

Does clicking the hand on the giant not do it? I haven't actually played their version, so I don't know.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:56 am

Technically, that is a dead-end, yes. If you can't see the Magic Chest to click it, then you won't be able to take it. But it shouldn't occur in either mode.

If we do a minor update, I'll address this.