Possible mispelling of gnomes name

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Music Head
Defense Minister Status

Possible mispelling of gnomes name

#1 Post by Music Head » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:23 pm

On my playthru of the new release I became stuck at the gnome. I typed rumpelstinskin In backwards twice and failed. Then tried switching the l and e so it was rumplestinskin and it worked. When I looked up the correct spelling I only found the name written in the way I origianlly tried. Looked in dictionary, on wikipedia and searched google. Is this a bug, or is the name purposly spelt this way?

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Possible mispelling of gnomes name

#2 Post by DrJones » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Music Head wrote:On my playthru of the new release I became stuck at the gnome. I typed rumpelstinskin In backwards twice and failed. Then tried switching the l and e so it was rumplestinskin and it worked. When I looked up the correct spelling I only found the name written in the way I origianlly tried. Looked in dictionary, on wikipedia and searched google. Is this a bug, or is the name purposly spelt this way?
I had the luck at the time I played King's Quest I for the first time on the Roberta Williams' anthology, that some people made a cartoon movie named Rumpelstiltskin and announced it in magazines, and I only had to type that backwards to beat the puzzle (after a friend told me THAT was what I was supposed to do).

The original game recognizes many alternate spellings for the gnome, and so does this remake, but it seems AGDI's version requires you to always type "rumple" instead of "rumpel". You should be grateful it worked with your choice, though, as it isn't the correct one either.

Fender178
Knight Status

#3 Post by Fender178 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:18 pm

I just completed the game and I got the full 158 points so I dont think there is an error in the spelling of the gnome's name because I got it on the first try. I used the the spelling used in the original KQ1 EGA the one that starts with I. When the game was programmed they had only one spelling of Rumplestiltskin and they went with that.

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Here are some SPOILERS!!!! just so you know:

In the original version, the only way to do it was to type

ifnkovhgroghprm

In the sci remake, you could type either that or

nikstlitselpmur

So, if there's a misspelling, it's Sierra's, not AGDI's.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:33 pm

dungeonsofdorks wrote:Here are some SPOILERS!!!! just so you know:

In the original version, the only way to do it was to type

ifnkovhgroghprm

In the sci remake, you could type either that or

nikstlitselpmur

So, if there's a misspelling, it's Sierra's, not AGDI's.
No, Sierra's SCI remake also recognizes several others spellings, and I might be wrong, but I do remember that nikstlitslepmur was among them (which is by the way the official spelling as told by google and wikipedia, with Rumpelstilzchen being the original german version). In fact, if I remember how to write this name after all these years it's because of this very puzzle. :p

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#6 Post by Blackthorne519 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 pm

His problem was he was spelling it RumpleSTINskin, not RumpleSTILTskin.

Bt