Video is aweful! Help please!

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Anastina
Peasant Status

Video is aweful! Help please!

#1 Post by Anastina » Sun May 31, 2009 7:07 am

Hi,

I'm a huge fan of KQ games, have the original CDs from long ago, but I can't run this remake, and I'm dying to. :cry Download and install work fine; game shortcut even showed up on the Games menu (Vista), but when I run it, I get ... I don't even know how to describe what I see. You know how monitors get when they've gone bad? Running, flickering lines of color that don't make any specific image. I've thought this was a resolution problem, but I'm unable to change the resolution for the game to 320x200. Here's my system info.

System: HP Pavilion Entertainment x64 bit laptop
Video Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Processor: AMD Turion (tm) 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB

I think I meet the minimum specs for this game, but perhaps the game doesn't meet the minimun specs for my machine. Unfortunately, this is the only machine I have that runs games, so if anyone has any ideas on what I need to do to run the KQ remake, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

adeyke

Re: Video is aweful! Help please!

#2 Post by adeyke » Sun May 31, 2009 7:16 am

Try opening the setup window from the game launcher. When you're there, try setting the Graphics filter to "2x nearest-neighbor filter" and see if that fixes it. If not, also try the "Force alternate letterbox resolution".

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#3 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:34 am

Additionally,make sure that you have the latest version of DirectX installed from:

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Ab ... ctX10.aspx

Also install the newest drivers for your video card which you should be able to download from the Nvida wesbite or via the Microsoft update site.

Anastina
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Anastina » Sun May 31, 2009 9:39 pm

I have XNA 2.0 and 3.0 both installed on my computer, so I'm sure I have the most recent version of DirectX, and I already made sure that the video driver was the most recent, so I think this is good.

As far as the other reply: try opening the setup window from the game launcher.

I'm not sure what this means. If I right click on the EXE, I can change the compatibility mode, but I don't have any option to set the resolution to anything other than 640x480.

(When you say "game launcher", it sounds to me like there is some screen that should pop up before the game starts, but if there is, I never see this. The graphics go wonky the moment I double-click on the KQ EXE.)

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 am

Did you download the game from our own website at http://www.AGDInteractive.com?

When you install the game, an icon gets created on your desktop called "King's Quest I", and also in "Program Files\AGD Interactive\King's Quest I" called "King's Quest I Launcher". Running that and clicking on the "Settings" button will open the options menu. Or alternatively, run winsetup.exe from the game folder. You will find the 2x filter options there.

If you downloaded the game from anywhere other than our own site, please uninstall it and re-download it from the above link. We can't guarantee that other sites haven't tampered with the game files.