Typing in KQ I remake?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

hecate
Peasant Status

Typing in KQ I remake?

#1 Post by hecate » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Are you supposed to be able to type in commands in this? The game takes up the whole screen and most things work fine with the mouse, but when I got stuck trying to figure out how to "dive" in the well, a walkthrough I read (I almost never resort to that!) said to TYPE certain commands (DIVE, JUMP). The keyboard doesn't work at all when I'm in the game.

If this isn't a question of something technically wrong, that I can't type, I'll just post asking how to "dive" in the game forum. But I started to suspect this was a tech question if I'm supposed to be able to type in commands.

Thanks.

adeyke

Re: Typing in KQ I remake?

#2 Post by adeyke » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:19 pm

The two versions created by Sierra both had a typing interface. AGDI's remake, however, uses only the mouse.

To dive, just click the hand on the surface of the water while you're swimming in it. And note that you can only dive in the well (not in any of the lakes).

hecate
Peasant Status

#3 Post by hecate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks for the tips! I had been clicking like crazy but kept drowning, but now at least I know I'm on the right track.

LATE PROBLEM:
Of course, now that I've dived, no matter where I try to swim, I drown! Every opening seems a dead end. (And I thought getting the golden egg was frustrating--at least there you didn't die if you fell ;)). I'm pretty sure you have to swim to the bottom left opening, but I can only go so far and then I die. Tried the top left---died---and right---died and even straight ahead. All I get is my dead body and then it says (groan) "well, well, well, 'water' you gonna do now?" and I have to restore and try again.

I'm beginning to suspect that because I'm restoring each time, somehow it's not registering how many times I've tried (I found with the egg you had to try a certain number of times before it would work). I've drowned 17 times, and am about to give up.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

The game isn't programmed that way. There's no check to see how many times you've tried something and restored. If you're talking about the well, you do have to go to the bottom left after you dive and then go straight up.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Maybe you have to slide down the game timer in options. If you saved the game too late you'll have problems. Try to return to the well and save the game in that location, then go down and try to swim fast to the bottom left corner.

hecate
Peasant Status

#6 Post by hecate » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:28 pm

First off, thanks to you both for the further replies; good tips.

Unfortunately, even going way back to the elf and making my way from there to the well and getting the bucket and climbing the rope down all over again and diving down and to the left, I keep drowning when I try to swim through the left passageway. Fourteen more times (I'm stubborn).

Think I have to admit defeat; frustrating, because I sailed through the first parts of the game.

I always did better on games with "puzzles" that took strategy than those relying on what seems to be manual dexterity (maybe that's why I keep drowning?).

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#7 Post by DrJones » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 pm

You could always use the Faerie Godmother protection spell to pass through that puzzle, but it's weird you have problems in that room. I think there are walkthroughs in Youtube, just in case you are doing something wrong.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 am

If you attach your savegame to this post, I could investigate it, and maybe someone can bypass the puzzle for you.

hecate
Peasant Status

#9 Post by hecate » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Wow, thanks for the help. I'm usually pretty good at puzzles and games and am mortified that I seem to be stuck in a place no one else is having trouble with. What happens is this: after getting the bucket, I climb the rope down into the well and then dive into the water and the screen shifts to the bottom of the well; I swim down and to the left, going through that passageway (this is on the SAME screen) and get stuck! No matter how much I try to swim to the next screen, it won't let me and I drown.

I tried swimming into the upper left passage instead and drowned, tried swimming into the lower left passage and then up into the upper passage and drowned, no matter what I try, I can't get to the screen to the left of the bottom of the well.

I have tried both with having taken the bucket and then climbing down, assuming I'll fill the bucket in the water, and with taking the bucket, going to a lake and filling it, and then returning to the well and climbing down. But since I can't get past the bottom of the well and into the dragon's lair, I won't ever need the water :).

I've been saving my game frequently and have tried going back to the point before I dive into the water, the point at which I've first taken the bucket, and even back to the elf to make my way to the well again.

Not sure how to attach a saved game, and feel badly imposing, especially since I'm more a "puzzle" kinda gal---like the crimson room, etc. But I know that kids beat this game and there's an ego involved :).

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#10 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 am

To attach the savegame, look for the one with the most recent "modified" date after you right-click the file and go to "Properties".

When you make a new post here, you should see an option that says something like "Attach File". Select your savegame, click the attach button and it will upload to the forum when you make your post.

hecate
Peasant Status

#11 Post by hecate » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I was intuitively (and wrongly of course!) looking for the saved games in the same directory as the game itself. Turns out they're saved under MyDocuments/SavedGames. Here is the latest, which starts after I've climbed down the rope and am ready to dive. In this one, I've already filled the bucket with water from a lake; I also have one in which I didn't fill the bucket if that works better.

I just tried it again, and still, swimming into either of the two left passages just hits a dead end and I drown. I just know it'll turn out to be something easy I'm missing, since no one else seems to be getting hung up here.

WELL, looks like I'm doomed---when I try to attach the file (agssave.007.KQISave) it goes to upload when I click "add file" and then I get: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: set_disallowed_content() in /home/content/n/a/v/navynuke04/html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php on line 363

I think maybe the gods don't want me to do this game...I'm so used to being the one in other, more "mental puzzle" games, who posts the help instead of being the clueless noob ;). But I'm really grateful for your patient attempt to help!

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#12 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't like my name showing up in error messages. I'll have to look in to that as soon as I get a chance.

Before you give up, try looking for a "let's play KQ1VGA" video on YouTube. You're likely to get spoilers, but that is better than just giving up. I'm guessing you are probably just not swimming to the correct location.

hecate
Peasant Status

#13 Post by hecate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am

How many lower left passageways are there at the bottom of the well? I'm swimming into the one to the left of the dummy treasure chest. I tried the one higher up, too. I'm stumped, but will look for the videos. Since most people, I think, do the well fairly early on, hopefully this won't expose me to too many spoilers.

It's becoming a matter of ego now ;).

Wonder why I can't attach?

hecate
Peasant Status

#14 Post by hecate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 am

Tried to attach a screenshot I took of me at the bottom of the well trying to swim through the bottom left passage, circling where I was so you could see, but got:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: set_disallowed_content() in /home/content/n/a/v/navynuke04/html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php on line 363

again. Rats. Off to check videos.

hecate
Peasant Status

#15 Post by hecate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

TA DA!!!! :rollin warning: spoiler, or great hint, depending on your perspective ;).

I saw a speedrun and realized that while I was swimming (using the running man icon) just right, when he gets up into the UPPER LEFT (not lower) passageway, you have to use the HAND for him to climb out onto dry land. When I was trying to swim out with the man icon, I would thrash around and drown. But using the hand for some reason got me out. From there, it was a snap to splash the dragon and get the mirror.

Thank you guys for all the very patient and generous help; wish someone had mentioned the hand thing; would have saved us all a lot of aggro ;). On to new adventures.

sarahbag
Peasant Status

#16 Post by sarahbag » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 pm

I'm not even able to pick up the daggar. I was able to push the rock, from the North side, but when I click on the hole where I see an intricately carved daggar, I keep getting the messege "There is nothing to do there". How do I pick up the daggar if I can't type in "Pick up daggar"?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#17 Post by Erpy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Are you clicking the right part of the cursor on the hole? Each cursor has a small dot called a hotspot that has to be aimed on the thing you want to interact with.

sarahbag
Peasant Status

#18 Post by sarahbag » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:48 pm

THANK YOU!!!!