KQ1 in Linux (guide coming soon)

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Knight Status

KQ1 in Linux (guide coming soon)

#1 Post by 1234567890 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:34 pm

To run KQ1 on linux, ATM you need wine. Install wine for your distro, then run the game through wine. I will make a more elaborate guide soon.

I notice you guys made a linux version. I volunteer to make and support a linux port. a dev can PM me if they are interested. I only require a little bit of information (the first thing that comes sto mind is I need to know what version of AGS you used)

For now, Wine is the best way to run it. I submitted my test results running KQ1 on linux and they are currently under review. I also applied for maintainer. If I get that I will be the official person to contact for support about running KQ1 in Wine.

I am really pushing for a linux port though. I can make one myself and test/support it easily using the linux/AGS port, but I just need permission and a little bit of info.

if you want to run KQ1 in linux, post here for more detailed instructions. this post will be edited at some point and be made much more useful. I will also make one in the KQ2 forum for that one.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=57423
Test results are in. Haven't yet submitted screenshots or been approved as maintainer.

edit: this and my other thread should probably be moved to the technical forum. sorry bout that.

Knight Status

Re: KQ1 in Linux (guide coming soon)

#2 Post by 1234567890 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Ok. I am very close to getting it working on my computer. However, it is an older version. version 4.0, as version 4.1 is compiled with a newer version of AGS, not yet supported in the linux engine.

Trouble is that it is dependency hell. it will be a while (or it will seem like a while to me, lol) before I have it packaged up.

I will need some testers once I have an install script or a deb. (I don't have an ubuntu/debian system but the first 3 packages I will make are a zip with an installer script, an arch package (cause thats what I use) and a deb.

Knight Status

Re: KQ1 in Linux (guide coming soon)

#3 Post by 1234567890 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:07 am

I am SO close to a working linux port. Only remaining problem is related to my midi configuration.

It gets to the disclaimer, but then it crashes.

Could be hours before it's working, could be weeks. I will keep everyone updated.