DOS Version?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

exo
Peasant Status

DOS Version?

#1 Post by exo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Mobygames seems to have this release marked as though there was a dos version, including some screenshots (however it is impossible to tell if they are running in dos/dosbox or not). I was curious as if there was ever an early release of this remake for dos? If not, I will have the mobygames site corrected. Thanks!

exo
Peasant Status

Re: DOS Version?

#2 Post by exo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm

*bump* =)

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I can't say for sure, but I think the very first release of the KQ1 remake worked on DOS. Hope you have luck and one of the original developers can confirm this. Things are pretty busy right now while working on Mage's Initiation!

exo
Peasant Status

#4 Post by exo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Well, I already preordered the $150 Mage's Initiation. For a few bucks more could they throw the dos version of KQ1 remake at me? lol. I can't find it online anymore.

Thanks for your response.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#5 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am

I spent some time looking around the internet for every version of KQ1VGA. Found them all. There is no DOS version.

exo
Peasant Status

#6 Post by exo » Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Mobygames, specifically a user named "Indra was here", seems to think there was one.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings ... creenshots

There are two screen shots posted and attributed to a DOS version. The submitter has quite a record on mobygames (used to be an approver on staff), so I would like to think they know what they are doing. I have messeged them and asked if they still have a copy of this DOS version.

This youtube channel also claims to be playing the DOS version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARQNSRuf ... Lt&index=1

MusicallyInspired

#7 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue May 14, 2013 11:25 am

That's definitely not a DOS port. For starters it has John Bell's narration which means that it was one of the last versions of KQ1VGA, also evident from the completely redrawn backgrounds as opposed to the Sierra-game collage backgrounds the original used. The early versions didn't even have speech! Regardless, when the speech pack was first released Josh Mandel narrated the intro. There was no narrator otherwise. It also has a digital music pack. To the best of my knowledge the DOS version of AGS never supported that.

Not sure about the MobyGames entry. The backgrounds are old enough to be the first version. Whether it's DOS or not I don't know.

exo
Peasant Status

#8 Post by exo » Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 pm

I spoke with the person who uploaded the dos images of KQ1 and he wasn't sure where he got them from.

Since then however, I have found dos versions of both KQ1 1.0 and KQ2 1.0 now, and they both ran great in dosbox.

I also have KQ2 v2.0 with speech and music running in dos as well. KG1 2.0 is a bit buggy, but it runs as well.

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Interesting. I wonder if it is merely a DOS port of the AGS interpreter or an actually released DOS version. I don't think AGDI made any of them to work in DOS, besides maybe KQ1. Definitely not KQ2. I remember when it came out. There was no "official" DOS version.

exo
Peasant Status

#10 Post by exo » Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 am

They were made with a version of AGS that was dos compatible. Renaming the exe file to ac2game.dat and adding cwsdpmi to the game folder allows it to run perfectly well in dos.

The only trick was the trial and error of AGS interpreters to find the ones that worked.

so, it's not an official release, but it will do just fine for my purposes =)

MusicallyInspired

#11 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 am

Nice. :)