Obscure glitch, or bizarre Easter Egg?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

jkell
Peasant Status

Obscure glitch, or bizarre Easter Egg?

#1 Post by jkell » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:55 am

I've been playing through the latest version of AGDI's remake of KQ1 yet again, taking advantage of the game's fairly non-linear structure to perform certain actions differently, or at least in a different sequence, than I have previously. Along the way I've discovered a few minor idiosyncrasies, most of which likely amount to obscure bugs that the majority of players would probably never encounter.

One of these, though, is so completely bizarre that it's left me wondering if I've found a heretofore unknown Easter Egg! I've given the enchanted bowl of stew to the woodcutter. After he begins feeding it to his wife, I then click the unopened walnut on him. Even though the woodcutter will no longer take any other items from me that he might previously have accepted [the cheese, the optional treasures, etc], he will take the walnut with the usual "he is too weak to open it" message.

However, this is where it gets weird. The bowl of stew will vanish from the woodcutter's lap, and a second or two later the woodcutter himself will vanish. In his place, one of the green moat-monsters will lift its head up from the rug on the floor, look around, then lower its head back down again. The moat-monster sprite will repeat this action again and again. If I stand to the right of the woodcutter/moat-monster [the side of the cottage closest to the fireplace] and click the "talk" icon on him, he will speak to me like normal, but the moat-monster animation will continue. If I stand to his left [nearest to the door] and talk to him, he will change back to his usual sprite with the stew on his lap, and resume feeding his wife!

Has anyone else found this? Is it a joke, or just a glitch?