Can't type game name in SAVE field. No Dead End doesn't work

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ibginnys
Peasant Status

Can't type game name in SAVE field. No Dead End doesn't work

#1 Post by ibginnys » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:03 pm

I am on Windows 7. I downloaded KQI and am using the default settings. I think I will really enjoy this game if I ever get a chance to play it. F5 does not do anything (nor do the other function keys) and if I use the Options icon at the top of the screen to save my game, it won't allow me to type anything in the name field. Also, choosing the No Dead End option does no good. I've had to start from the beginning several times. I have searched through many pages of posts, but haven't found anyone with this same problem. I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

adeyke

Re: Can't type game name in SAVE field. No Dead End doesn't

#2 Post by adeyke » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:29 pm

The no dead end mode just means you can't get into a situation where you have no way of winning (e.g. by losing one of the three treasures). You can still die.

As for your keyboard issue, I unfortunately don't know what's causing it or how to solve it.

ibginnys
Peasant Status

#3 Post by ibginnys » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Yes, I understand what NO DEAD END means and by writing that it doesn't work, I meant that several times I had to exit the game because Graham drowned, was eaten by a monster, etc. According to the description, blocking NO DEAD END means that I should never get kicked out of the game. That's why I'm so frustrated that I can't save the game periodically, in case disaster strikes Graham. Thanks for taking the time to reply, though.

adeyke

#4 Post by adeyke » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:49 pm

As I suspected, you have a common miscoption about that mode, which is why I gave that explanation. You can still die even in "no dead end" mode. This is by design. However, the original game had situations where you didn't die and could still still keep playing, but you were permanently locked out of winning the game (and you might not even realize that this had happened). The "no dead ends" removes these situations specifically. And as far as I'm aware, the mode works as intended.

Even with that mode, you still need to save the game frequently to recover from dying, and I can see the game being very frustrating if this isn't possible. I wish I could help you with that, but I can't.

ibginnys
Peasant Status

#5 Post by ibginnys » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Ah! Thanks for the clarification!