When does the condor appear?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

When does the condor appear?

#1 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:22 pm

I am stuck at the entrance to dragon's cave on the red x waiting for the condor to appear but it doesn't appear. I have done everything according to the walkthrough I am using until the point where I need to let the condor take Graham to the other side of the river. Is there anything specific that needs to be done before the condor will appear?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#2 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:30 pm

Have you gotten the mirror and treasure chest yet?

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#3 Post by Peter Swinkels » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks, the condor appeared after I got the chest. BUT: Is there any logical reason why I should get the chest before the condor will appear other than that the game was programmed that way? The walkthrough I am using (which was written for the original King's Quest I) says you need to get shield before the chest. To me it seems the player should be able to do it either way. I think Sierra's remake alllowed you to get either the chest or shield first as well. Any way: It is a bit confusing and limiting to have to get the chest before the shield since it shouldn't matter just as in Sierra's games. Oh well, it is a minor glitch any way. Perhaps it should be fixed or mentioned in the King's Quest I VGA hints section...

BTW: While I was climbing the beanstalk to cloudland to get the chest I noticed that the beanstalk climbing sequence is much improved over the sequence in Sierra's remake. This version of the sequence wasn't nearly as frustrating.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#4 Post by Erpy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:54 pm

The original version of KQ1VGA still had a rather tough beanstalk, but we eventually toned it down.

The reason for the need to get the chest and mirror before being able to get the shield is the same one as Sierra implemented into their remake of KQ1. To increase the challenge. In the original game it was possible to get the shield first and get the other treasures without having to worry about any random monsters, the giant or the witch (both in the woods and in her house), since the shield protected you against all those foes.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#5 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:25 pm

I read in the King's Quest Companion that you could only get the shield after the chest. So I was as you confirmed wrong about Sierra's remake. So, the shield actually does something in King's Quest I? And I thought it was just another treasure with the only purpose of being collected to win the game. If you are right then I understand why the change was made. Thanks for explaining. Perhaps you could mention it in the hints section as I suggested to clear things up for people who are used to the original King's Quest I?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:35 pm

The shield has this function in all versions of KQ1.

In Sierra's remake (and ours), having the shield simply prevents monsters from appearing and when you enter the gingerbread house and the witch is home, she'll flee when she notices you have the shield.

In the original KQ1, the shield protected you against all monsters except the dragon. (his breath apparantly melted the shield) The random monsters still appeared, but when they touched you, you simply got a message that the shield was protecting you and the monster would simply wander around without doing anything. The same was true for the witch and giant. I'm not certain if you were protecting from getting ripped off by the dwarf, though.

Jafar
Super Star

#7 Post by Jafar » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:37 pm

I had all the treasures in the VGA remake. Then, the Dwarf appeared and caught me. The all treasures music stopped. :(

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#8 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:45 pm

I had all the treasures in the VGA remake. Then, the Dwarf appeared and caught me. The all treasures music stopped.
You mean that the victory music you hear if you have found the treasures stops when the dwarfs appears?

In my case the dwarf doesn't appear at all...

The Avatar
Knight Status

treasures and the dwarf

#9 Post by The Avatar » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:12 pm

Well,
The chance of the dwarf appearing is random..
And if he gets close enough he'll steal something from you.. but what he steals is a random inventory item.. Jafar's instance was rather unlucky, because he 'randomly' showed up and 'randomly' picked one of the main treasures to steal.. :( it won't happen every time though.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#10 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:17 pm

So the dwarf stole one of Jafar's main treasures? Hopefully for him he had a recently saved game.

However I entered the part of the forest where the dwarf appears several times when I had all the treasures. Does the dwarf ever appear if you have all of the treasures? I would think he would but he didn't.
Last edited by Peter Swinkels on Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#11 Post by Erpy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:47 pm

I only did a quick check, but I believe being protected by the shield/godmother spell, being invisible or having the goat with you will prevent the dwarf from appearing.

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#12 Post by Peter Swinkels » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:28 pm

Ok, I see.

Jafar
Super Star

#13 Post by Jafar » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:40 pm

Maybe I was mistaken... I do remember that happening though, because my older brother saw and laughed at me. :rolleyes

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#14 Post by Peter Swinkels » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:13 pm

Laughed at you? That isn't very nice, maybe he was laughing just because it was funny?

Jafar
Super Star

#15 Post by Jafar » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:17 pm

Well, when you look back on it, it is funny.