Translation Questions

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

Translation Questions

#1 Post by Vipt » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:34 pm

Hi, I've been playing through KQVGA with the Dutch translation, but I'm stuck. I can't get past the gnome because I don't know the Dutch translation of "Rumplestiltskin". I know that in German it's "Rumpelstilzchen", which is the tale's original name, but neither of those names works in Dutch. So, maybe Erpy can help me out with this?

And another thing I was wondering: is it possible for me to get the entire text 'dump' from KQVGA (in English), so that I could maybe work on a translation? I'm not asking you to endorse another translation for the game, I would just like to see the entire text of the game for personal satisfaction. What did the other translators use? I imagine it would have been a bit difficult to try translating the entire game by just walking through it. You'd certainly miss a lot of things.

I'll understand if AGDI doesn't want to give it out, but I'd appreciate some suggestions for making the task easier. Thanks

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:56 pm

Dutch is "Repelsteeltje", of course. :)

Translations are done by dumping all in-game text into a translation template. But why would you want such a template, if I may ask?

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by Vipt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:27 am

Thanks for 'Repelsteeltje' Erpy.

As for the other thing: I would like to attempt a translation, or at least see all the text so I have some way of measuring its size/complexity. I know that you've said you weren't going to include any more translations for QGVGA, and I'm not asking that you include anything of mine in future versions of the game. It's more just for personal satisfaction. BTW, it may sound ridiculous, but I want to try and translate the game into Anglo-Saxon, i.e. Old English. I doubt there's much interest in it on anyone else's part, but I've taken a couple of courses on Old English, and I just want to have all the text easily accessible for my convenience.

I know that I must dump the text, but I'm not at all sure how to do it with AGS. Moreover, I wanted to make sure I had permission from some one here before I did so. I have no desire to modify the game in any way. Once again, its just a personal ambition thing, if that makes any sense. That's all.

Thanks again Erpy