How "EXACT" does it have to be?

This forum is for discussion about the King's Quest VGA remake. Hints tips, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

How "EXACT" does it have to be?

#1 Post by NYCaribou » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:59 pm

I'm now up to the Condor, yes I got past the Witch and stuff :D Although none of the trees in Cloudland showed as having a hole, no matter which tree I clicked on...I clicked on virtually every single tree, every single well, what looked like a hole... all I got was, "weird trees tower over you" and "there's nothing you want up this tree."

Now I'm trying to stand on the X and click on the condor... absolutely absolutely ***ABSOLUTELY*** nothing but miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss .... it's driving me nuts.

An earlier thread talked about having to be so absolutely precise in mouse placement as to nail a single pixel just right. Is this the case with the hole in the Cloudland tree that has the slingshot, and the right spot on the X for grabbing the condor's talons? It's even more maddening with the condor because he only flies by three times before you're absolutely forced to "reset" him by leaving and re-entering the room, and his first fly-by is just as you enter, meaning by the time you've aligned yourself on the X and changed the cursor to a hand, he's already made one fly-by meaning you only have TWO chances to grab him.

Just how EXACT do you have to be in these two puzzles? I've tried literally 50 (I kept count on a piece of paper) times with the Condor and not one single successful grab... normally I'm a very cool and mature gameplayer but something like this drives me so completely bonkers I just... well, never mind, maybe it's better you don't know :D hehehe

--NYC

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by arganite » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:27 am

You are far too slow. I got him on my second try, and the only reason it was my second was that i forgot that it was coming. Second time - bam took about 3 seconds to get, and there is enough delay from entering the screen to its appearence to get it first try  :p

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

Re: "far too slow"

#3 Post by NYCaribou » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:06 am

Maybe on your comp; not on mine. I can't prove that other than by just saying that this is the case, but fifty times can't be just a coincidence... not that I believe in such in the first place.

I have no way of playing on my comp right in front of you as for you to be able to watch... but I'm serious, he's past by the time I get to the X and on the second and third grabs, now more than 150 tries and absolutely nothing but MISS MISS MISS.

Is it possible I'm at the wrong X? The only "X" mark I see is almost right at the left edge of the screen, well to the left of the cave entrance, although some distance in front of it too-- a little "up" of the vertical mid-point. That's the only X mark I see... is there another one I'm not noticing?

--NYCaribou

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 am

You are indeed missing the right X. It should be placed near the center of the screen.

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

Re: The right X

#5 Post by NYCaribou » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:57 am

Yeah I finally found it myself just before coming here... The fact that I'm forced to play this game in window mode because it completely locks up each and every time I try to start it in full screen mode makes it very difficult to play. I found the X you're talking about and grabbed hold of the condor's talons with no problems.

Okay, I've finished the game, but I missed about 13 points. I know I didn't get to do the following:

[spoiler]--Take the slingshot because I couldn't find which tree in Cloudland it was inside... I clicked on every hole, every knot, and all I got was "There's nothing in this tree you want (need?)."

--Play the fiddle for the leprechauns because they disappeared right away when they saw my four-leaf clover.

--Take the leprechaun king's sceptre because it vanished along with him and everyone else in his court because of the four-leaf clover.[/spoiler]

Any advice on those? Thanks. I liked the game, even though it was kind of short in overall length... but since this game was written for DOS and a hard drive that totalled less than 540 MEGABYTES in size (when 200 gig is the norm these days), I have to expect that. It was still fun and interesting.

--NYCaribou

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

Re: The right X

#6 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:59 am

NYCaribou wrote:[spoiler]--Take the slingshot because I couldn't find which tree in Cloudland it was inside... I clicked on every hole, every knot, and all I got was "There's nothing in this tree you want (need?)."[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You should be able to find it in the south-eastern screen of Cloudland.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]--Play the fiddle for the leprechauns because they disappeared right away when they saw my four-leaf clover.
--Take the leprechaun king's sceptre because it vanished along with him and everyone else in his court because of the four-leaf clover.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Don't bring a four-leaf clover, then. The clover is an optional solution to that puzzle.[/spoiler]

NYCaribou
Peasant Status

Those 13 points

#7 Post by NYCaribou » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:00 pm

Okay, I finished again this time with a perfect score. One of the suggestions you gave me, Pidgeot, would have cost me 2 points, but I found a way around that by only doing it AFTER the point in time I was referring to...

[spoiler]I waited until after I was out of the leprechaun cave before picking up the four-leaf clover. Not picking it up at all costs you two points. :p [/spoiler]

Now to play KQ2 and see how Graham meets his wife-to-be. I have to laugh thinking about an old KQ5 walkthru I read which claims that Princess Cassima becomes Graham's girlfriend at the end of the game, LMAO.... Riiiiiiiiiiight.

-NYC