AGDI at the Movies!: Now with added IMDB!!

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Parhelion
Royal Servant Status

#76 Post by Parhelion » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:20 am

Well, now I've seen it, and my fears were unfounded.  The movie was quite good.  On the same level as the Harry Potter films, although I've not read those books.  It wasn't as "epic" or "definitive" as the Lord of the Rings movies, but it was charming and perfect in it's own way.

It wasn't quite as I envisioned Narnia, and I think it was probably too scary for small children, but neither of those are negatives necessarily.  I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the books or a fan of other fantasy films.  I won't say anymore until anyone who's going to see it has already seen it so as not to spoil anything.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#77 Post by Spikey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:15 am

Why are they making a movie out of the Chronicles of Narnia, while they still hold the copyrights to the Chronicles of Prydain, I wonder.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#78 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:58 pm

Deb and I just got back from seeing Chronicles of Narnia (2005)...

One word... Beautiful.

As a big big fan of the books I thought it was amazing and Deb who hasnt read the books she also thought it was amazing!

Near 2 and a half hours long I was never bored or tired of watching it. It was pure on-screen magic. From book to film adaptation point of view it was bloody perfect!!! I kept thinking "I bet this doesnt happen" or "I bet they'll miss that bit out" but they squeezed in every last detail they could, a perfect transition from book to the big screen.

The whole movie, direction, effects, acting, character development was all spot on. No wonder considering the source material they had.

There absolutley must be a sequel (and I'm sure there will be).

A definite must seen for fans of Narnia or fans of the phantasy genre, dare I say it (yes I will) it was BETTER than any potter film I've seen (and thats saying something) in fact it was the best movie I've seen this year if not this century.

9.5/10 from Eternal Anubis Reviews.

"For Narnia... and for ASLAN!!!!" - Peter, High King of Narnia
Spikey wrote:Why are they making a movie out of the Chronicles of Narnia, while they still hold the copyrights to the Chronicles of Prydain, I wonder.
(And Spikey dear chap. ^^ That is why they made Narnia not Prydain ;))
Last edited by Angelus3K on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#79 Post by Spikey » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:10 pm

I'll promise to give it an honest chance, Ang.

Still, I'll be waiting for the adventures of Taran forever.

rugged
Defense Minister Status

Hmmm

#80 Post by rugged » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:18 am

Saw the Chronicles of Narnia (2005) on Sunday arvo and thought it was a good solid film without being spectacular. It could have been fleshed out a little more.

I give it a 7

It is worth a watch for sure. So is the world's fastest indian when it makes it to foreign shore.

spacedcase
Peasant Status

#81 Post by spacedcase » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:00 pm

Well, I never post, but I lurk, and someone needs tell Spikey that yes. Hell yes. We need Prydain movies like the Blues Brothers need shades, like untalented people need reality TV, like that guy at Waffle House needs a toothbrush.

Sweet Jesus. Fflewdur Fflam. Is there any actor amazing enough to play him?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#82 Post by Spikey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:36 pm

Many people didn't read the books, so many can't possibly know what it's like. And you don't need to tell me yes, we need to tell Disney yes. I doubt that they will listen though, after the failure of their 25th classic.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#83 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:31 am

Do tell, what is Prydain? I've never heard of it.

I think the next Narnia movie they make would be Prince Caspien, lets hope its not too long away!!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#84 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 pm

I thought it would be the Horse and his Boy

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#85 Post by Spikey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:56 pm

The Chronicles of Prydain is a five volume series of children's fantasy novels by Lloyd Alexander written in the sixties. The stories evolve around a young man named Taran, who has been awarded the honorific of Assistant Pig-Keeper (haha) but dreams of being a great hero. Soon, because his prophetic pig runs off, he's whirled into a series of bizarre adventures. His ultimate companions are Princess Eilonwy of Llyr, Fflewddur Fflam the wandering bard and king, and a creature called Gurgi.

The novels are inspired by Welsh mythology. The chronicles have long been recognized by parents and teachers as an important addition to the cannon of classic children's literature from the 20th century. For many years since their publication The Chronicles of Prydain have held their own in sales and readership against other famous children's fantasy series such as The Chronicles of Narnia.

The Black Cauldron is an animated film loosely based on the first two books, and it was released in theatres by the Walt Disney Company in 1985. However, the film was too scary, without any songs and with a lot of  blood and skeletons. The fire spread quickly and soon the movie was withdrawn from theatres because nobody went to see it anymore. It is a poor adaptation of the books at best. Though it did actually receive cult status, because Disney refused to release the movie for a whopping 13 years.

This year Mr. Alexander has indicated that Disney STILL holds the film rights to all five of the Prydain books, and that they have no intention of re-producing any of them, even though recent times have seen a marked rise in popularity for fantasy films (yep, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia).

The fans await.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#86 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:I thought it would be the Horse and his Boy
A Horse and His Boy is my favourite book of the series but in published order Prince Caspien is the next book after LLW also its the only other book with all 4 children in it.

There are quite a few movie sights that back that Prince Caspien will be the next film.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/675/675387p1.html

Wow Spikes, I don't know why I've never heard of it before, I'll have to scour for a copy of the series!

In other news I just finished watching Kingdom of Heaven on UMD. Great film I really liked it, it was interesting because the story is based in alot of other things like the Templers (Broken Sword) and the Muslims were kind of like the Calormens fighting the Narnians. Orlando was very good in this movie and I loved the morals in it!

Kingdom of Heaven 7/10

The Avatar
Knight Status

New movies?

#87 Post by The Avatar » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:26 am

Hmm.. I saw:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
Amazing movie!  enjoyed it more than any past Harry Potter film, and that's saying something seeing how they're some of the only DVD's I own.  Finally meet Voldemort!  All the acting is superb, and the movie is full of surprises and high entertainment.  I couldn't stop smiling all the way through!

Chronicles of Narnia (2005)
This was an interesting movie, in that it had the simplicity in character development you'd expect from a children's movie, yet the fueled action sequences you'd expect from an adult action film.  I felt that the witch, and the younger boy's acting and development of character really grabbed me and sucked me in, but the others felt paper thin, and the lion wasn't mysterious enough.  Once he showed up I felt like he kept getting in the way, and it really diminished my feelings for the scene where he's at the stone table.  All-in-all, I liked the movie, but the story seemed too cliche.

King Kong (2005)
Fantastic movie.  It took the movie a good hour just to get to skull island, and all of that felt like Titanic all over again.. (not a bad thing) then the island was jaw dropping from the second they see it, to the moment they leave.  The most AMAZING hour of action sequences in any movie to-date.  From scary tribesmen, to a scary 25' gorilla, to huge dinosaurs, to more huge dinosaurs, to scary gorilla again, to awesome freakishly horrible bug attack!  Huge bats, dinosaur stampede, bird-sized mosquitoes.. And then they go back to NewYork.. and this is 30's New York!  YES!  This is a great movie.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#88 Post by Blackthorne519 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:39 am

It would be nice to see a good adaptation of "The Book Of Three".  I'm with Spikey; I'm a huge fan of the Chronicles of Prydain.

Bt

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#89 Post by Spikey » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:46 pm

Blackthorne519 wrote:It would be nice to see a good adaptation of "The Book Of Three".  I'm with Spikey; I'm a huge fan of the Chronicles of Prydain.

Bt
XD yes, you are.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Prydain

#90 Post by Brainiac » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Actually, I think it's good that Disney did Narnia before Prydain.  After all, The Black Cauldron took some serious liberties with the first two novels of the series so it's a good idea to go with something new first.  Now that LLW has proven that you can stay relatively true to form (and even a few new twists...the griffin attack in the movie was marvelous and appropriate), Disney can try their hand at Prydain.  You have to ask though...who could they possibly cast as Dallben?

arganite
Royal Servant Status

#91 Post by arganite » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:53 am

They arent exactly going through the series in order, Magician's Nephew anyone?

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Order

#92 Post by Brainiac » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:43 pm

arganite wrote:They arent exactly going through the series in order, Magician's Nephew anyone?
<sigh>

Do we really need to go through this again?  The first Narnia novel published was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  The Magician's Nephew was a prequel published sixth in the series.  For some reason, some reissues of the entire series, particularly in the US, were listed in chronological order of the story rather than publication (fortunately, mine wasn't, so I got the singular surprise of connection of events between LWW and MN).

Frankly though, it doesn't matter.  Complaining about getting LWW first is like complaining that The Hobbit wasn't made into a big-budget movie first.  Let it go, people.

Broomie
The Enigma

#93 Post by Broomie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:30 pm

Well, this is basically a movie's thread so this would probably be best suited here.

The film, Napoleon Dynamite (2004), in a one word... awful. I've never been so excited for a movie to end so I could be free from it, I didn't laugh once from this "comedy."

So yeah, I don't know how this film got so popular yet it wasn't good at all.

What did everyone else think of this?

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#94 Post by Vildern » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:00 am

The film, Napolean Dynamite, in a one word... awful.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had read a good review of it, literally praising it, that intrigued me.

Unfortunately, reviews are not all that.... credible.

Skyshark
Knight Status

#95 Post by Skyshark » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:56 am

Saw King Kong (2005) a little while ago. Not too bad for a remake, but I felt it was lacking in some parts. 7/10 for me.

FatherGhostface
Defense Minister Status

Cursed and House of Wax

#96 Post by FatherGhostface » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:24 am

I know these movies came out like...MONTHS AGO! But they are movies I recently have seen so,

Cursed (2005)

I loved this movie, so sue me! It's both horror and and directed by Wes Craven and Written By Kevin Williamson! I loved it so much! It's about a werewolf and two siblings that are infected by it's curse. They to are becoming werewolves and at the same time are being stalked by it! This movie is WONDERFUL by my standards! Not to mention Mya (you know the singer) has a great chase scene in it! It's sad when she dies though...she is malled to death by the werewolf in an elevator... :cry

House of Wax (2005)

LOVED IT! First slasher flick I've seen all year next to Cry Wolf I loved this movie so much. Although you all are going to hate me for saying this but I actually felt SORRY FOR PARIS HILTON when she dies from being impaled through the head with a sharp metal pole! But she to had a good chase scene! I LOVE HORROR MOVIE CHASE SCENES!!!!! LOL! The killer in this movie FREAKS-ME-OUT!! He is the example of what I think a psycho-path is! The long black hair, the deformed face, the knife-wielding, need I go on? It's truly frightening!!! A MUST SEE!

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

Re: Cursed and House of Wax

#97 Post by Spikey » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:35 pm

FatherGhostface wrote:I know these movies came out like...MONTHS AGO! But they are movies I recently have seen so,

Cursed: (2005)

I loved this movie, so sue me! It's both horror and and directed by Wes Craven and Written By Kevin Williamson! I loved it so much! It's about a werewolf and two siblings that are infected by it's curse. They to are becoming werewolves and at the same time are being stalked by it! This movie is WONDERFUL by my standards! Not to mention Mya (you know the singer) has a great chase scene in it! It's sad when she dies though...she is malled to death by the werewolf in an elevator... :cry
Dude seriously, use the spoiler button.

Wes himself said that the movie got damaged in post production. Pity. I thought it was okay though.

[spoiler]the whole gay story line embedded and all[/spoiler]

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#98 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:46 am

I saw Chronicles of Narnia (2005) ... loved it.  loved it loved it loved it.  Of course, the downside of being in a Christian seminary means that it will be analyzed and discussed to death.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#99 Post by Angelus3K » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:38 pm

Just finished watching Scarface (1983) today... what more can be said 10/10

I can't believe that was the first time I've seen it too!
Last edited by Angelus3K on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vildern
The Sleepy Specter

#100 Post by Vildern » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:11 pm

I've been watching Chronicles of Narnia (2005) , Corpse Bride (2005) and The Never Ending Story I (1984).

Narnia - fantastic. Great shots, great music, great atmosphere.

Corpse Bride - Weak. Could have been much, much better. Not Burton's finest.

The Never Ending Story I - Great, enjoyable, recommended ;)
All-in-all, I liked the movie, but the story seemed too cliche.
Must be due to it being a children's movie :p