AGDI at the Movies!: Now with added IMDB!!

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#26 Post by Kurdt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:24 pm

Liam Neeson was Ra's Al Ghul. And the pearl necklace is one of those iconic Batman thing. Joe Chill grabs for the pearls and Thomas Wayne comes in between him and her. Chill yanks the pearls off as he shoots Thomas Wayne through the heart. The pearls go clattering to the floor as Martha Wayne screams. Chill panics at the scream and shoots her dead too. Since the robbery has now been totally f***ed, Chill makes a run for it, leaving little Bruce in an iconic pose, on his knees with his arms at his sides, his dead parents making a V shape in front of him. That is the scene everyone in the Batman world is familiar with. If you go to the Batman Begins site (http://www.batmanbegins.com), under the "Comics" section they have a scene called "Batman Origin - 1939" and "Batman Origin - 2003." Both of those have that iconic scene in them and are worth checking out.

As for the new Batmobile, it took a bit to get used to it, but I ended up liking it a lot. The most amazing thing about it is that it's a fully functioning vehicle built from scratch. Everything in it works, right down to the weapons and GPS system. And this really hasn't been the first time it's changed. It's had many incarnations over the years, so it's not SO blasphemous that it's completely inexcusable. Now, if Alfred was instead a black mechanic on the street named "Big Al," now THAT would be pushing it.

Charlemagne
Canadian Pundit

#27 Post by Charlemagne » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:39 pm

I thought the new Batmobile was one of the neatest things in the movie. I don't think that it's so iconic that it can't be changed, like the murder scene that Kurdt mentioned. It's been more than ten years since I last bought a Batman comic and I have no idea what the old Batmobile looked like. For me, though, I saw it as just another aspect of Bruce Wayne inventing his alter ego bit by bit. Just like he started with only a ski mask and his body armor, adopting the cape and cowl as the need arose, he didn't order a custom Batmobile but instead co-opted a prototype tank. It's a great way of doing it, I think.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#28 Post by Kurdt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:27 am

I think my favorite thing from the "tales of funny production happenings" was one Christian Bale said at a ComiCon awhile back (Flash Fact: I've been obsessing over this film since 2003 when it was still in the rumor pages). Apparently, while they were driving the Batmobile down a freeway in Chicago on the way to a location set (yep, a NORMAL freeway with other cars 'n' such on it), this drunk driver without a license looked and saw the Batmobile in the lane next to him, freaked out and thought aliens were invading Earth, and swerved right into the thing. Of course, his car was pretty beat up, but the Batmobile didn't even muss its paint job. I laughed for hours when I heard that one.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

Opinions vary

#29 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:53 am

Angelus3K wrote:War of the Worlds was amzaing! I havnt seen the original movie or read the book so the ending was quite surprising for me.

This is a total Speilburg movie, the whole thing is one giant special effect lol!

Tom Cruise's acting was top notch throughout and the aliens were quite scary in their tripods.

Amazing special effects and tremendous acting 8/10!!
Personally, I disliked the ending.  It is the same as the previous incarnations of H.G. Wells's work, but with all the "additions" the Spielburg made, the ending became incongruous and anti-climactic IMO.  I will readily admit however, that the special were indeed sweet.  Basically, it was great as popcorn-movie summer schlock, but not much on the coherent plot-o-meter.

Plus, seeing those tripods makes me wonder if a adaptation of The White Mountains is forthcoming...

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#30 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:40 am

Yea I agree the plot was a bit lack-luster but it was a good movie overall.

But Batman was better overall movie.

I've just thought its a bit weird how nearly every superhero has some special power apart from Batman, I mean you have Spiderman, Superman, Fantastic 4, X-Men, Hulk, Captain America, all the villians etc and Batman is just a normal guy trained in martial arts and looking for vengeance lol!

Go Bruce!!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#31 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:12 pm

About time to revive this thread!

Movies I seen recently...

Charlie and the Chocolate

Great film, the book was better obviously but still a good film and Depp was great as Willy Wonka.

Fantastic Four

Great comic book film, I stopped caring about the storyline after they re-created a cosmic ray from space that only passes every thousand years in a box in the guys house... but like Bt said its just fantasy, other than that it was a great summer popcorn flick.

The Island

I cant understand why this movie apparently "flopped" in the US!? Its brilliant! Good storyline, good action sequences, good acting (apart from Mcgregor's odd US accent) good characters and good production values.

Definetly a must see!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#32 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:55 am

well I haven't checked here in awhile. I've always said that Batmans super power was money. I watched the cartoon though where it showed him pay for all his training and buy everything he had and when I saw the latest movie (3 or 4 at the time) and saw Batman throw 20 quarters at 2 face to kill him? That was beyond it for me. Granted I was like 7 years old so I think I might give the b-man another try when it comes out on DVD.

Movies I've seen lately

Constantine
Keanu Reeves (SP) surprised me in this one by using virtually no Judo in this violent filmand I loved the plot however cinfusing at was at times. Definetly a flick you can see twice. In this film Keanu can be seen in the world we know but with the gift to see Angels and Demons. Although they'd seem like normal people to us they are actually greater beings sent to keep balance on Earth. Any scene where Keanu has his gun is a good one I especially loved how he used a cross for a crosshair. One scene I didn't understand though

[spoiler]When John cuts his wrists open near the end and the Devil comes to claim him he takes out his lung cancer. However it doesn't show him sewing his wrists up or pumping his veins full of a mass amount of blood so how did he survive?[/spoiler]

Over all good and an 8/10

Sin City
Now here was a cool movie. The plot changes were very unique and hada  nice way of tying together. It's hooked me in the same way Metal Gear Solid has in the sense that every time you watch it you notice something new. Not only did it have top notch actors.

I've always said "That Elijah Wood would be nothing without his big blue eyes." Watch Lotr and you'll see what I mean. Frodo gets stabbed *EYES OPEN HUGE AND CLOSE AFTERA  MINUTE* Frodo gets stabbed by the ogre *SAME THING* Frodo is surprised *ONCE AGAIN*. anyways when I saw Elijah in this film I knew it would be interesting. you can';t get away with eye acting in a black and white film but then I saw him with his huge glasses and it was all good.

Really cool movie with a great plot and cool action 9/10

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#33 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:36 pm

Deb and I just saw "The 40 Year Old Virgin" it was hilarious! A bit rude in some places but a good comedy to relax and laugh at!

The Longest Yard looks good too so I might try and catch that next.

The Guy
Knight Status

Re: AGDI at the Movies!

#34 Post by The Guy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:17 pm

Angelus3K wrote:I mean the Batmobile is iconic! Its in KQ2VGA for godsake!
You're kidding me!  I'm always looking for any/all easter eggs and I do not recall seeing this at all.  Please enlighten me as to where I might happen upon it in the game.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#35 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Outside of Hagatha's Cave it randomly happens, its quite funny. Best thing to do to trigger it is to enter and exit the screen until it happens.  ;)

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#36 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:39 am

Angelus3K wrote:Deb and I just saw "The 40 Year Old Virgin" it was hilarious! A bit rude in some places but a good comedy to relax and laugh at!

The Longest Yard looks good too so I might try and catch that next.
Sorry but the longest yard only had one or two noteworthy moments in it and one was simply a big black guy yelling "YOU'RE A REAL MCASSHOLE" as he throws cheeseburgers at some guy.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#37 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:07 pm

Ugh!! Deb and I just got back from seeing Wolf Creek it was a good horror movie but way to gory and sick...

A must for hardcore horror fans though.

Has anyone here seen Ong-Bak: Thai Warrior? I hear its excellant so I'll have to check it out.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#38 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:56 pm

Deb and I just got back from seeing Land of the Dead!

It was alot better than I thought and wasnt focused on the beginning stages of a zombie takeover as most movies are and was focused on the post zombie takeover.

It was good to see how the zombie's started learning, pretending to be normal humans then learning to use weapons etc.

Good zombie film!! Recommended see! Just a shame it only got the UK now as its been in the US since like June 24  :eek

Alias
Royal Vizier Status

#39 Post by Alias » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:45 pm

Its about time us UKers get some stuff first.  :evil

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#40 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:14 pm

ya sure does suck to be European these days  :p

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#41 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:49 am

i've become a bit of a snob lately, and i'm starting to really enjoy independent films ... okay, well, it's more of now that i live in the LA area, i have opportunities to see them that i wouldn't have had before, and i'm not digging much of what Hollywood's put out lately.  (although i am looking forward to Elizabethtown, Wallace and Grommit, and Harry Potter)

last week, I saw Thumbsucker  An interesting story of a high school senior trying to figure out who he is, and the different paths he takes to try and decide what he really wants - from the life he had up until then, to basically being doped up on meds for ADHD, to a pothead, until he learns in the end that there really was nothing wrong with him in the first place, but that his problem was basically environmental - he needed to leave in order to flourish.

i also recently saw Everything is Illuminated  holy crap.  that movie was AMAZING.  it's now on my list of favourites.  i'm still thinking about some issues that were addressed in it.  if you can see it, then do so.  NOW.     [/b][/i]

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#42 Post by Angelus3K » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:29 pm

Time for another update!

Last Sunday 16/10 Deb and I saw Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Deb had never really seen W & G before and so wasnt keen on it but I've been a fan for years so convinced her she'd like it, and she did!! It was a really fun movie and some superb animation!

Last night we went to see Into the Blue with Jessica Alba and Paul Walker (they never stopped talking during the movie ;p) it was a good film, not great but a good pop-corn flick.

I also watched the Sin City UMD on my PSP yesterday, amazing film I think and its great to hear there is a Sin City 2 in production.

Its so cool how they've turned the movie into a comic book, a must see!!

So what have you been watching???

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#43 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:36 pm

I saw The Fog last night and it was supposed to be a horror but it was only moderatly scary in the beggining. It wasn't to great but if it was played out for it's story instead of a horror it would have done a lot better. Again not great but ok in the story aspect even though it didn't have any big names.

4/10

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#44 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Deb and I just got back from seeing Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.

It was a great film, a little odd being about the land of the dead etc but reminded me of Grim Fandango  :)

The voices were superb, I'm really impressed by Helena Bonham Carter she was great in Wallace & Gromit too.

Looking at IMDB is strange to see that a film called Shantaram (2007) also features the 3 main cast of Corpse Bride (Depp, Carter and Emily Watson).

I also see that Johnny Depp is currently filming not only Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest but Pirates of the Caribbean 3!!

Anyway back to Corpse Bride - funny, good story and good charactters with the usual Tim Burton weirdness in it.

7/10

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#45 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:08 pm

A lot of people watch corpse bride and try to compare it to Nightmare before Christmas. I however think that's a little unfiar considering NbC was in 96 and therefore 9 years older then Corpse Bride. I think the animation was smoother in CB and I also liked the way the story had it's way of tying it all together at the end.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#46 Post by Angelus3K » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:10 pm

I've never seen a Nightmare Before Christmas so you could say I enjoyed Corpse Bride to its fullest!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#47 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:20 pm

It's another animation by Tim Burton. Broomie had his Avatar as the movie for a long time. You should go out and see it sometime I'm sure it's only like $2 by now.

Relight
Archival Expert

#48 Post by Relight » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:52 pm

The Constant Gardener - it was alright, I guess.

Serenity - action, adventure, explosions!

Corpse Bride - just wonderful, and I love the piano in the score!

Everything Is Illuminated - funny!

Flightplan - actually, not bad!

Wallace & Gromit - going to see it tonight!

Broomie
The Enigma

#49 Post by Broomie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:26 pm

You haven't seen Nightmare Before Christmas? Well if you enjoyed Corpse Bride as I can see, you must see NBC. It's a truly wonderful film which I don't get bored of watching over and over again. It's not hard to get hold of, you could always try Amazon which I've been using alot these days.

Corpse Bride though, amazing film! The bad thing about it was that it was way too short, but the animations, story, characters and music all made up for it. The cast was outstanding, and I thought it was cool that Paul Whitehouse was in it, he did a great job as Victor's dad. Aswell as all the other characters, especially Bonejangles. His song was probably my favourite.

Now for the spoilers...

[spoiler]It's sad that they never got to be with each other in the end, yet I suppose it was all for a good cause. I mean, throughout the film Emily and Victor's relationship grew, so when they were told that they weren't actually married, due to Emily being dead and Victor being alive and the whole "Death to us part" vowel I would have thought Victor would have used it as an excuse. Yet seeing their relationship it was kind of Victor to risk his life just to be with her. But it's nice she gave up Victor so he could be with the true woman he was going to be with in the first place. And that Barkis got his comuppence. ;)[/spoiler]

I might be going to see Wallace and Gromit with my girl on Friday so hope that goes to plan so I can see this film. Looks great.

Other films I've watched recently:
  • Batman Begins: Superb, although it got a bit ruined when I had to pause it for half an hour because I accidentally broke my cousin's thumb.
    American History X: Stunning, powerful and a great film. Very brutal and some things made me cringe yet it had a powerful message and I admired it very much.
    Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: Simply, woah! The CGI and animations was absolutely amazing, it makes FF: Spirits Within look like blocky 3D animations. Too bad it was just English subtitles yet it was an awesome movie.
    Darkness Falls: Sorry but this was a pile of CRAP! Wasn't this the one with AGD2 in?

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#50 Post by Spikey » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:22 pm

I've added a lot of favorite movies to my collection lately. I have been seeing them in cult cinemas. They won't stop playing them cause they are so popular. Now I've bought them all on DVD. They are all not too new, but I just never got round to seeing them before. I like analyising movies, so they will be of that kind, you mind.

Elephant
This is a really good movie. The symbolism & archetypes are simply amazing. It's about not getting the whole picture of something. Sometimes you think you do, or the press makes you believe you do, but you will never get the entire story. Hence, the analogy of "Elephant", the old wisdom where a few blind men try to describe an elephant by touching and feeling a certain part. And just when you think you're getting the whole picture of this seemingly senseless shooting massacre at this pretty sweet high school, the movie [spoiler]ends adbruptly with a very open ending. Fooled again. [/spoiler]

My own private Idaho: the Director's Cut
Another Gus van Sant, this time a director's cut. Yeah, in this version we get a little bit more information about the homosexual character played by River Phoenix, and the bisexual character played by Keanu Reaves. A few more wonderful scenes. This movie can be analysed to death, the character development and love relationships unfold in a stunning but destructive way. Very beautiful.

Donnie Darko: the Director's Cut
Another director's cut. More mysterious scenes about divine intervention, or something in that fashion. The discussion with your mates afterwards is the most interesting, because there are as many interpretations of this movie as there are people.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Probably the only movie on earth that made me cry. Well, cry, I slipped a tear when they realise at the end, that it's all so pointless. They end with that self destructive question, "Is that all there is?". That's such a fragile moment. Don't be fooled by the casting on the front of the DVD and the poster, "Jim Carrey" "Kate Winslet" "Elijah Wood". That sounds bizarre, I really detest all of those actors, actually, but they did this is really great.

Big Fish
Yeah, a sorta fairytale. You can see this movie a hundred times and still spot new things. So that's what I'm doing right now.

The Edge of Seventeen
Horrorfying realistic image of a homosexual teenager discovering his sexuality on the edge of seventeen. Could be shocking to some, but it's only real life to me.

The Locals
I kind of guessed the plot of this cult horror at one point. Still, I think it's very enjoyable. It's a New Zealand production I think, so that's something special as well.

Creep
Everybody will think that this is one of the most stupid movies ever made. But I thought it was really good. Small budget, but a very scary story about a lady who gets trapped inside a subway station. She's not alone, there are a few people with her, but one isn't really human I guess. If your stomach somersaults over monsters that ram really large knives into vaginas, don't watch it.

Spikes