How did you guys come up with your names?

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Broomie
The Enigma

#26 Post by Broomie » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:24 pm

(also crawls under a rock)

Well it isn't as bad as being named after a Broom! I've said this story over and over again but, my second name is Broom and I was at school and some kid said hey Broomie! I thought it was funny and unique so I stuck with it. Everyone at my school now calls me Broomie, so I thought it would be a pretty cool internet alias aswell.

Jafar
Super Star

#27 Post by Jafar » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:34 am

navynuke04 wrote:Erpy is named after a potato?!!?!!???! :lol
Wait till Ghostface hears about this... :lol

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#28 Post by Kurdt » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:58 am

Well, when I first went onto the Official Sierra Boards, I went by the moniker Homer J, after my personal middle school hero, the great Homer J. Simpson (the "J" stands for "Jay"). When I decided that I didn't want to be the big fat loudmouth anymore, I changed my name to one of my other idols, Kurt Cobain. My name for a while was "The Great Kurt Cobain." After awhile, that grew stale, so I changed it to "~Kurt~", since by that time I'd become known around the internet as a regular. Whereas Homer J was just an occasional poster, Kurt was known, so he had to stay.

It was around that time that I registered with EZBoard as "Kurt2384." Kurt was already taken and I couldn't use tildes, so I stuck 2384 on there because it was the day and year of my birth (February 23, 1984). Elsewhere I stuck around with variations of the name "Kurt," the most known and prevelant being "Kurt Rayner." Kurt being my name and Rayner being the last name of my favorite Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner. I'm still known as Kurt Rayner on the Sierra Boards, but that's just because I can't change my name on there without deleting my 7-year-old account, which I can't bear to do.

Eventually, as I didn't want to go by "Kurt Rayner" any longer, I decided that a change was in order. What could I do, though? I didn't want to go back to just "Kurt" because I thought that was too lame and boring. I didn't want to be "The Great Kurt Cobain" again because I didn't want to take on the guise of Cobain anymore. It was useful then, but now I was my own man and I needed my own name. That was when I rediscovered something that I completely forgot about my old namesake: When he signed things or gave autographs, he used to spell his name wrong.

I was in a record store in San Marcos one day buying a Nirvana shirt when the guy behind the counter pointed to a shard from an acoustic guitar hanging on the wall. "That's a piece from one of Kurt Cobain's guitars, y'know."
"Really?" I said, eyes wide.
"Yeah," the clerk replied, happy to see my enthusiasm. "The owner of the store saw him play live in Seattle back in '89, around the time their first album came out. He really liked their set and got Kurt to autograph a piece of the guitar he picked up after Kurt smashed it."
Looking closely at the object, I made out the signature. On the guitar, written in what looked like magic marker in plain handwriting that looked like it was written by a 3rd-grader, was the name "Kurdt."

And from then on, I have been known throughout the internet (as much as it pertains to games) as Kurdt, and so I will be named until the end of time.

But that doesn't mean I have other names. Well, in fact, I only have one other name on the internet that I only use when I go to boards pertaining to comic books or debate: Sideshow. So, if you're ever hanging out on the DC Comics message boards and you see a guy named Sideshow, give a shout out, cuz that's me. Just don't confuse me with TheSideshow5179. That guy's just a poseur me.

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#29 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:22 pm

I thinK Kurdt's got the longest history of coming up with a name as anybody! :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#30 Post by Erpy » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:43 pm

An interesting enough, I can confirm his story because I was around at that time to experience it.

Kurdt
Hero For Hire

#31 Post by Kurdt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:58 am

Well, you know what the gypsies say about names. When someone knows the power of your true name, they hold power over you.