Himalaya Studios requests beta testers for Al Emmo

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Erpy
Forum Administrator

Himalaya Studios requests beta testers for Al Emmo

#1 Post by Erpy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:46 pm

After several years of production, the end of the tracks are in sight! Al Emmo, the hero of Himalaya Studios' adventure game “Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine”, is ready to tackle anything the Wild West can hurl at him—anything except for bugs.  It's our duty to track down and eliminate these pesky showstoppers.  We'd ask the local exterminator to aid us in our search, but his insistence on using “force” in the form of explosives has prompted us to look elsewhere. Therefore, we've decided to invite a small group of qualified, daring, and responsible individuals to join us in the arid region of Anozira to embark on a bug hunt!

Himalaya Studios is currently on the search for qualified beta testers to help us track down these bugs.  You may be exactly who we are looking for!

Desired Qualifications:

- Do you have a tendency to interact with everyone and everything in an environment?

- Do you tend to play a game in a way it's NOT meant to be played?  

- Do you like to break things?

- Do you feel a need to correct other peoples spelling and grammer?  Did you find the spelling and grammar mistake in the previous sentence?

If you answered yes to most of the previous questions and would like a coveted position on our beta testing team, please complete the following application:

Application:

- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Your System Specs
- Education and/or Job History
- Favorite Game
- Why you'd like to beta test our upcoming release
- Any additional information about yourself that you feel we should know

Please email your completed application to beta@himalayastudios.com with “Beta Testing Application” as the subject by February 1st, 2006.

Chosen beta testers will be contacted, and the final team will be announced on the official Himalaya Studios website.  Beta testers will be granted access to our official beta testing forums, and will be responsible for reporting spelling/grammar errors, glitches, crashes, and design oversights.  This process of reporting and bug fixing will continue until the game is deemed suitable for public release.  All beta testers will receive a free copy of “Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine” after its release as well as a spot in the game credits.  

Best of luck, and see you on the frontier!

The Himalaya Team

MacGyver
Royal Servant Status

#2 Post by MacGyver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:52 pm

First bug (from my Gmail account) :

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

beta@himalayastudios.com
  retry timeout exceeded

seeker of rain
Peasant Status

#3 Post by seeker of rain » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:51 pm

Same problem here  :lol

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 pm

i third the problem

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:08 pm

Hey guys, this problem has been reported elsewhere as well.

As a work around, you can also email your applications to our old address at address removed if the above address doesn't work.

Thanks!

--EDIT--

Removed the address since the problem should now be fixed.
Last edited by Anonymous Game Creator 2 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Actually, since there's several doubles we've gotten, I believe those messages did come through...including the ones from the people who posted here.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#7 Post by Fribbi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:25 pm

I didn't got any reply with this error message when I e-mailed you for two days ago. But let me know if you got the e-mail by me.

I thought my unluck was over. I have had no luck getting new job lately and now I can't even get a chance to be beta-tester because of this error. Are some guiding angel above the sky telling me I should not enter myself as a beta-tester? God must hate me for trying to be like him like I did in last year. But what else shall I do then instead? :p  :cry

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#8 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:13 pm

Yeah, your email arrived.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:48 pm

Out of curiosity (I don't yet know if I'll apply), is any experience with the original QfG2 required? Or would it be preferable not to have any at all, since you might then be more likely to try something unexpected?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#10 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:53 pm

Seeing as the beta test application is for Al Emmo and not QFG2, I'd say no knowledge of QFG2 would be required... ;)

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Pidgeot » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:01 pm

My mind's obviously switched off - likely due to the fact that I have this week off until the next semester starts. >_<;;;

In other words, just forget I said anything. :p

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#12 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Mine went through first try before any posts were made here but now I wonder if it got there. Oh well I assume it did.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#13 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:57 pm

Yes, it did.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

I sent 2

#14 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 pm

Yikes, I sent 2. Did you get em both? The second one was the "revamped" and edited edition.  I hope I can help out!

PS any chance I could go from "Peasent Status" to "Curly Fry"?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#15 Post by Erpy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:03 pm

I added one, but noticed two of them. Unfortunately, we got over 100 mails to process in two days, so I ditched one of them.

Slarty Bardfast
Royal Servant Status

Emails

#16 Post by Slarty Bardfast » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:20 am

Yeow, that's alotta emails.  Well they both basically said the same thing. I hope I can be considered for the position. I'm the type to click on everything in site in an adventure game and I've tested games in the past. I hope I can be of use to you guys.

Aperama
Peasant Status

#17 Post by Aperama » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:12 am

Oh, okay, NOW I'm feeling like an idiot. *slaps head*

I've been getting this problem with other hosts, lately, and naturally, when sending this mail and receiving this error, I've just been slowly sending at different times of the day, knowing that in other experiences, my mail has went about as far as hand-delivered mail would without the creation of automated vehicles. So I've sent my application a few times (while doing other things, and finding myself largely unable to open a web browser and check this) - only to see it bounce, waiting a little while...

Sorry about all of the spam you're doubtlessly getting. :/

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#18 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:42 am

well I remain hopeful that the best of us can participate in this experiance I would just like to take this oppurtunity to wish the best of luck to all that applied. I hope this turns out well and suitable people are chosen.

Aperama
Peasant Status

#19 Post by Aperama » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:10 am

As an aside, I think I've worked out what the problem (Subject: Mail delivery failed...) is - HTML-based e-mails.

I'm saying this as, due to the fact that I'm a Thunderbird user, and I was trying to work out how to avoid it through the wonderful medium of trial and error, I tried the following:

HTML-encoded e-mail (sent early on in the morning) - error message.
HTML-encoded e-mail with plain text subheaders (so it is readable by any client) - error message.
HTML-encoded e-mail (sent later, in the hopes that it was an error with the server at that time) - error message.
Plain text e-mail (sent finally in a fit of desperation) - No error message.

As such, I would probably say that you have some over-zealous anti-spam client sitting on that e-mail account, and every time it picks up something with HTML coding (which could theoretically be malicious if used in the wrong fashion), it sends back a message saying that the e-mail has failed to be sent. If this message is not received, this e-mail address is then blocked for SMTP spoofing, and bam, an infallible (but in many ways, annoying) spam filter.

I'm hoping this is what it is, anyway; it's the logical conclusion garnered from my experiences with similar objects, at the least.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#20 Post by Gronagor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 am

Man. Those are some high requirements!! *sigh* All I got is 2 PhDs and an MBA.  Guess I won't make the cut.

Heh. Kidding about those qualifications, but good luck to those who'll be chosen!  :p

I'll wait for the finished product.  :D

The Avatar
Knight Status

Beta Testing!

#21 Post by The Avatar » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Oh, what fun and adventure hangs upon the horizon!  These games are so close, I can smell them!  (too bad they smell like Saurus Breath!  <cough>

I noticed you were able to tell others here if you received their applications, so I was just curious if you could tell me the same.  I sent one two days ago and got the dreaded error and so I resent it today.  I guess that means you might have two copies.. the new one is edited, but with the same information.

Alpha to Beta is a really huge step!  You all should be very proud.  Too many game companies out there have been guilty of releasing their game at THIS stage, trying to make up for it with patches, after their main fan base 'tests' it and complains about bugs after release.  I'm happy to hear you are willing to hold back the demands of the publishers, and the fans  :D  and accomplish what many before you could not.  <cheers!>

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#22 Post by Erpy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:05 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing yours.

seeker of rain
Peasant Status

#23 Post by seeker of rain » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:19 pm

lol - then you got more then 4 from me  :lol

(and i cursed my ISP ...  :o )

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#24 Post by Fribbi » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:28 pm

Yeah, your email arrived
Ok thanks for telling me that. I take it back what I said then earlier. God loves me and I am lucky again bwhahahaha! :lol

When will I get the answer. In next month perhaps? :D

DennisBergkamp
Peasant Status

#25 Post by DennisBergkamp » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:09 am

Submitted my application yesterday... Anticipating a slow time at work the next couple of weeks, so I wouldn't mind tracking down and splattering some bugs :D

Either BETA or full-version, I can't wait to play Al Emmo.