How did you guys come up with your names?

This is where historically important threads are kept.
Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

How did you guys come up with your names?

#1 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:31 pm

Hey guys,

First topic of mine in a while. This topic will feature full grammar from me so if you don't remember who's talking... :lol Anyways I was just wondering how everyone thought up their screen names. I remember slaving over a name to call myself seeing as how i didn't want to use the name i use everywhere. I didn't want to have to explain who Strongbad was so i just thought this one up which kinda sucks but hey it could be worse i could be Blackthorne. (THE KNIGHT MADE ME DO IT I SWEAR *huddles in a corner)

Jafar
Super Star

#2 Post by Jafar » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:45 pm

My first username was a jumble of letters and numbers. When we came here, I wanted more identity, so I changed to my first name. My last name is still a mystery...

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#3 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:21 am

I've had many names throughout my time on the internet. There was a time when I called myself nifty, mario, man of mystery, one of many, crusader, neo, and now finally MusicallyInspired because I love music and if I'm inspired in any way it's musically so it best described me. I'm surprised because usually I suck at making up names too. lol

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#4 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:30 am

I got this name from the Lone Wolf Kai name list. This and another word was suppose to form my kai name. Over the years, I dropped off the second part of the name and kept the first part.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#5 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:33 am

I started using my "handle" in 1991, when I started using my 2400 baud modem and calling BBS's.

It's from James Clavell's "Shogun"

I always thought it was a cool name.

Bt

QFG, I will eviscerate you in one of our games, I swear. You're mine! ;-D

Bt

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#6 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:30 am

Pidgeot's Wikipedia Entry. You can't very well be a POKéMANIAC and not name yourself after a POKéMON.

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:11 am

when i originally started out here, i was BCrowesSteffi, because i love the Black Crowes, and Steffi is what everyone calls me. however, i felt like i needed a different name, so now I'm Steffi Evenstar, because i'm freakin' obsessed with Lord of the Rings, because i am a complete dork with no life who will never get laid. :P

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#8 Post by Senor Matt » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:59 am

Well... I just thought the name sounded cool I guess... that and I really like Homestarrunner.com as well. (Can anyone name the reference in the nick? C'mon, it shouldn't be too hard.) :)

Wodball
Peasant Status

#9 Post by Wodball » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:33 am

My father and my brother started to make fun of me when I was little because I was one of those kids who could was completely misunderstood, even by family. They started calling me names (playfully, not child abuse like!) like Woodpecker and others. Eventually, they started sticking with "Wodball."

I decided to turn it into a plus because no one called me that anywhere else. Also, all of my other screen names were always being used, or sounded too similar to other veterans on forums. So I stuck with a name that never gives me a "YOU MUST CHOOSE A NEW NAME" screen. I figure I'll make a pen name sometime in the future.

By the by, the correct pronounciation of this (At least in my head, because the spelling doesn't really make much sense). This is a 2 syllable word, where the first syllable is like a "wad" of gum. Then, it's ball.

So, it's pronouced "Wad-ball", but spelled like Wodball. (Again, don't ask me how that's supposed to work, although, I should probably add accents next time...)

--Woody

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#10 Post by Blackthorne519 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:18 am

Steffi Evenstar wrote:when i originally started out here, i was BCrowesSteffi, because i love the Black Crowes, and Steffi is what everyone calls me. however, i felt like i needed a different name, so now I'm Steffi Evenstar, because i'm freakin' obsessed with Lord of the Rings, because i am a complete dork with no life who will never get laid. :P
Don't say that, Steffi. If I went to college with you in West VA, I so would be chasing after you!

Bt

Klytos
Infamous Sheik of Australia

#11 Post by Klytos » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:54 am

when i originally started out here, i was BCrowesSteffi, because i love the Black Crowes, and Steffi is what everyone calls me. however, i felt like i needed a different name, so now I'm Steffi Evenstar, because i'm freakin' obsessed with Lord of the Rings, because i am a complete dork with no life who will never get laid. :P
Now I want to know what you look like ....

My handle is from the 1980 movie Flash Gordon. It's the name of one of the characters. I used it cause all my other handles were too common. (Madman, Maniac, Borric, and Greek God.)

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#12 Post by Peter Swinkels » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:49 pm

How I came up with my screen name? Very simple, I just used my real name. :)

Jafar
Super Star

#13 Post by Jafar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:03 pm

Now I want to know what you look like ....
Somebody in the future wrote:Hey Steffi, have you done any modeling?
:lol

Swift
Dungeon Mistress

#14 Post by Swift » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:28 pm

And just when I thought that line had died a week ago...

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#15 Post by Renodox » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:38 pm

My name comes from a character I've made up. THe name comes from "Prisoner of the Ant People" where there is a robot known as Renodoxoll. I like Renodox better.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:06 pm

Steffi has actually already posted pictures of herself. It was quite a while back though.

I used to be a nuclear technician on a submarine in the Navy. Hence, navynuke.

Fribbi
The Icelandic Guest

#17 Post by Fribbi » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:26 pm

Fribbi is my real nickname. If my name would be just Jon I would call myself then Jonny Quest hahahaha! :lol I have been called Friddsi, Frikki too but Fribbi is fine enough to me. That nickname means nothing, if you must know. It is just a nickname that's all.

ps:The nickname Erpy could mean "Erpur" in Iceland.

Pss: Navynuke have you see the movie K-17 with Harrison Ford and Ingvar E Sigurðsson?

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#18 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:04 pm

You mean K-19 Widowmaker? Yes, I've seen it. Great movie for people who know nothing about submarines. However, if you have the smallest clue about real life submarines, you'd be more likely to laugh all the way through that movie (as well as most other submarine movies now adays...)

Rambaldi0503
The Heretic

#19 Post by Rambaldi0503 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:21 pm

Rambaldi is from one of my fav tv shows, Alias. 0503 is my birthday (May 3)

Peter Swinkels
Knight Status

#20 Post by Peter Swinkels » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:01 pm

ps:The nickname Erpy could mean "Erpur" in Iceland.
If I remember correctly Erpy told me his nickname is derived from a Dutch dialectal word for potato... (The non dialectal word for potato is aardappel.)

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#21 Post by Erpy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:17 pm

(crawls under a rock)

EDIT: Yeah, that's right. It's an origin from my college introduction camp where some people of my class were inventing nicknames for everybody. My name was "Errepel", which is hick-dutch for "aardappel". (potatoe) "Errepel" was chosen, of course, because of the similarity to my last name. A few weeks later, when secretly multiplaying on the school network, we used those nicknames as usernames, but I didn't like my own very much, so I picked a semi-diminutive of the nickname, which became "Erpy". I used that nickname to register on the Sierra boards a few years back, not realizing I'd become a regular there and kept the name when I moved to AGDI/Tierra so people from the Sierra board would recognize me.

Last edited by Erpy on Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#22 Post by Spikey » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:23 pm

Spikey hair and I live in Spykenisse. ;)

The Avatar
Knight Status

Why did I choose my nickname?

#23 Post by The Avatar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:53 pm

The Avatar,
It's not all that original, so I don't always get to use it, but it means a lot to me. It's really from the main character of Origin's 'Ultima' series. - the games that really got me intrested in game design.

King's Quest interested me in playing games, Ultima interested me in creating them.

Oh, and my avatar is me.. so you could say, I am the avatar... ;)

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#24 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:38 pm

yay! now i know one word of dutch! .... of course, i don't know how knowing the word "potato" will help me much, but hey! ... so, when my spanish professor launches into Dutch, i'll be able to understand one word he most likely won't use ... yes, my spanish professor - his mother is Spanish, he was born in Spain, and his father is Dutch. he speaks english and french along with those two languages, and randomly launches one of those four during class at times. interesting man, he is.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#25 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:19 pm

Erpy is named after a potato?!!?!!???! :lol