Got Birth Gem, but now stuck

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Faeghan
Peasant Status

Got Birth Gem, but now stuck

#1 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:00 am

What am I missing?

[spoiler]
I've got the Birth Gem, needle, mallet, have been to Library for latest book, been to Antique Shop, Angelina wants nightingale which Hagatha's has.  I can get into the cave, but can't sneak past Hagatha. I can't get into cottage yet to help poor Grandma, so still need something there.  Church is still locked, can't seem to do anything else either, til I do something else[/spoiler].  

I've walked round and round and round, and At this point, I have no clue what to do.

Boy do I feel stupid now.

adeyke

#2 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:26 am

You're on the right track; you have to go into the cave to get the bird.  Just save first and try to be quick, while hugging the north wall.

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:08 am

I've tried that.  But she spots me as soon as I move one step.

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:43 am

Oops....   you said "north wall".   Don't know north  from south and can't read either, I guess.    

I was trying to move across bottom of screen...... doing better going the other way.   I still don't have Nightingale in hand but almost made it once, so guess it's doable.... even by me.

Thanks for the help..... "north wall"  did sink in after a night's sleep.  I also realize this has to be finished before Hagatha finishes her chant,  BUT these timed sequences are just too fast for some of us.

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#5 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:27 pm

Oh, well........  
I just can't do this.  My fingers can't make it thru all the icon changes in the Hagatha sequence fast enuf.......    altho Hatatha is only on line 2 of her chant when I've reached the bird cage with the key, she sees me.  The death seqence is really getting old and depressing.  

I was so excited about the remakes, and I longed to be able to  play them again.  King's Quest 1, 2, & 3 were the very first games I played on my very first PC, years ago.   I got thru them then, so must be me now.      I'm done.  

Even so, I think the remakes are great.   It's nice to know how many feel the same way about those old games as I do... thought I was in an obsoleted class along with the game.   I may be, but they are not.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#6 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 pm

Ah come on. I made it through and got everything I was supposed to get and was making my way out of the cave before she even started the chant. Do you have a save before going into the cave? You'll have more time if you do everything right away.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#7 Post by navynuke04 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:25 pm

Some people find it helpful to adjust the game speed.

Also, make sure you get both things out of the cloak. I can't remember how the game is programmed, but it may be killing you to prevent you from progressing into a dead-end situation if you don't get the other item from the cloak...

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Ah come on. I made it through and got everything I was supposed to get and was making my way out of the cave before she even started the chant. Do you have a save before going into the cave? You'll have more time if you do everything right away.
Yes, I have saves from the open cave entrance,  after I get both items from the cloak, and when I've unlocked the chain.   But I usually restore outside the cave to allow full time when I'm in, and don't stop to save anymore now.   She usually begins her chant abut the time I am at the cloak.    But the thing is, she spots me before she finishes the chant, usually about the time I've reached the the cage.

I know lots of people have done this, and that is what is making me so discouraged, because I've restored so many times and don't have it yet.

MusicallyInspired

#9 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:58 pm

If you're going slow on purpose for fear of her seeing you don't worry about too much. As long as you keep walking near the north wall you shouldn't have to worry about moving slowly. Just "click, click, click, get stuff in cloak. click, click, do cage stuff, get cage, click, click, click, click, Hagatha starts chanting, click, home free!"

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Faeghan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:03 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Some people find it helpful to adjust the game speed.

Also, make sure you get both things out of the cloak. I can't remember how the game is programmed, but it may be killing you to prevent you from progressing into a dead-end situation if you don't get the other item from the cloak...
I have both items from the cloak.... you get both with the same action on the cloak.
I'm not sure but think switching icons --- walk, hand, item -- is what is slowing me down.

I've heard changing game speed doesn't help but maybe I'll try it ---- tomorrow,

Thanks

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm not sure if you know this, but right-clicking will cycle through the cursors, and middle-clicking will instantly go to walk (middle-clicking again will go back to what you had before).  You can also press Tab or ALT-I to open the inventory screen.  Maybe those commands will speed you up a bit if you haven't already been using them.

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#12 Post by Faeghan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm

I can't believe it!!!  I just finally made it past Hagatha with the bird.  

Exactly like MusicallyInspired said, "Just "click, click, click, get stuff in cloak. click, click, do cage stuff, get cage, click, click, click, click, Hagatha starts chanting, click, home free!" But it didn't happen til my 20th restore this morning, and I have no idea why it finally worked.  I've only been trying this since Tuesday.

Thanks all for the help and encouragement.  And thanks, adeyke, for the cursor help.  BTW. hitting ESC as soon as the witch spotted me eased the tedious waiting thru the countless death scenes, and got me to RESTORE right away.  

Now I am off to return a nightingale.

MusicallyInspired

#13 Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Congrats!

Jundas
Peasant Status

#14 Post by Jundas » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:42 pm

I felt like cheater when I adjusted the game speed cause I was in and out before she ever even started chanting.  She did get to kill me 4 times though.

Faeghan
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Faeghan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:55 pm

Thing is, I didn't adjust the speed.   And have no idea why she didn't spot me the last time....  some combination of the right timing and moves I guess.   Or random luck.   I wouldn't bet on instant sucess if I had to do it again.

I wouldn't have considered adjusting the speed cheating tho, if I had remembered to do it this morning.