Kings Quest 2 SAVES

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

banshee098
Peasant Status

Kings Quest 2 SAVES

#1 Post by banshee098 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:16 pm

I saved at the beginning if the game then did another save later on.  After that, each save wiped out the previous save.  Now I have made a bad move and have no save to go back to except the save at the beginning of the game.  That save is finding Possums basket which means practically starting over again.  The manual says there are positions for 20 saves.  WHERE ARE THEY?
bb

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#2 Post by Erpy » Thu May 10, 2007 4:39 am

If you give your new savegame the same name as the old one, the old one gets overwritten. If you rename the savegame before clicking save, it gets saved as a new position.

That said, where are you stuck? There are no dead ends in the game, so unless you saved the game at a VERY lousy moment, it's unlikely you're truly stuck.

banshee098
Peasant Status

KQ 2

#3 Post by banshee098 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 am

I saved when I found Possums basket.  After that I died a couple of times like trying to go in Batmans cave and when I fell off the cliff in the woods.  After that I saved every time I did something.  I named the saves differently eg:  got Mallet, got earrings, spoken to mermaid.   The basket save is still there but every save after that wiped out the previous save, such as when I wrote got earrings, the  got mallet save was wiped off, and so on.  Now I am after the squeezes (or something like that)  I want to go back and look at the ship to get things but Graham won't go back because he promised the king Neptune he would do this next thing. I saved it after the fish guards left me and as the previous saves have been wiped off the only save that doesn't disappear is got the basket and there is an awful lot of stuff between that and where I am now and I don't feel like going through it all again.
I looked in the game manual and it says to access the saves   push the option button at the top.   THERE ISN'T AN OPTION BUTTON.    Just the got basket save and this last one which I don't want.
mag

banshee098
Peasant Status

kq 2

#4 Post by banshee098 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:16 am

I have realised I keep signing the wrong name which may puzzle you.
I joined 3 things yesterday and got the names mixed up.
This is banchee.
Thanks

pass
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by pass » Thu May 10, 2007 9:08 am

Hmm... Sounds like a bug to me... Try manually copying your latest save in the game directory, changing the save number from 2 to 3 (or from 1 to 2, if the latest save you have is numbered 1). Then try and see in the game if you can load it, and if you can overwrite it with a new save. I'm not sure the game will allow this, but it's the only thing that comes to mind to try.

banshee098
Peasant Status

KQ 2

#6 Post by banshee098 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:35 am

Thanks for that Pass.  I too think a bug has crept in because when I started playing last week I had a number of saves.  There was also an arrow at the side to scroll through the saves, then suddenly, yesterday, wham, bang, it all went wrong.  I will try doing what you suggest but it will have to wait till a friend comes to visit in a few days.  I do not think I can manage to follow the instructions on my own.
Do you think if I uninstall the game and reinstall it, it may run better?  Apart from this it is playing so well.

Erpy, thanks for your help.  When I said I hadn't an option bar, I thought you meant on the save/restore screen.  I found it as soon as I submitted the letter to you.

I am remembering my name now.
banshee

pass
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by pass » Thu May 10, 2007 7:06 pm

Yeah, actually a re-install might work (just remember to keep your saves!). While you're at it, try re-downloading it before re-installing, because although less likely, the problem might be caused by a bad download.

banshee098
Peasant Status

KQ 2

#8 Post by banshee098 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Pass,  I didn't download this game, it came on a disc in a magazine quite a while ago.
If I download it,  will it come full size or just a little window like the old DOS games?
The only save I have now is finding the basket so I feel I may as well start off from scratch.
Many thanks, banshee

banshee098
Peasant Status

KQ 2

#9 Post by banshee098 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:33 pm

I am not having a good Friday here.
Trying to download KQ 2 but am told Internet Explorer cannot display the web page.
Thought I would download KQ 1 but am told the site owner has reached his band limit.
Suppose I will try again later.
banshee

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#10 Post by navynuke04 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:40 am

What magazine did you get the game with? The games aren't supposed to be distributed without permission...

pass
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by pass » Fri May 11, 2007 8:34 am

1) You are talking about KQ2VGA, right? Not the original game?
2) Yes, if you download it you can choose whether you want to play in full-screen mode or in a windowed mode.
3) Just making sure you have the right links:
Game (v2): http://www.agdinteractive.com/countdl.p ... oad&game=4
Music pack: http://www.agdinteractive.com/countdl.p ... oad&game=5
Speech pack: http://www.agdinteractive.com/countdl.p ... oad&game=6

As for any errors you might receive about bandwidth or band limits - try the links several times, one of those times might work. If that doesn't work, wait a while and try again at a later time.

4) I hope you didn't pay for that game (you can get it here for free!  :) )

banshee098
Peasant Status

KQ 2

#12 Post by banshee098 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:16 am

Right.  I have made great leaps forward.  Re the saves.
I deleted my only saves off the game and started over from scratch.  I kept moving from screen to screen and saving as I went.  To my surprise each one saved properly and I now have a number of saves from various parts of the game.  I figured that if I started with a clean slate it may help and it did.  I will just keep on playing and hoping.

Yes I paid for the game. A whole dollar in an op shop.  They said it had come in a magazine but I don't know which mag.  I thought it was a bargain because I had never heard of Tierra or the rewritten KQ games.  I am glad I bought it.

Has Tierra written any more KQ games?  In the Sierra series I have only played KQ7..   I bought KQ6 from ebay but it won't play on my very up to date WinXP.  Any suggestions from your end?  It will play on my old Win98 but I don't get much chance to use that machine.  It is very slow and my husband seems to be glued to it.  I only kept the old machine to play some old games.   Fat chance.   I read somewhere that Sierra had brought all the KQ games up to a standard to play on the WinXP but can't find them anywhere.

Well, I am thrilled that Tierra has stepped in.
Many thanks for you very useful advice,
banshee

pass
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by pass » Fri May 11, 2007 11:59 am

For more remakes (AGDI or not), look at this thread: http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11481

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#14 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 11, 2007 3:47 pm

Tierra is not Tierra anymore. Tierra is now AGD Interactive. It's not like the games are rare, either. You can download them here for free without having to buy them. You were kind of duped there...

Another thing is you might not have the most up-to-date version on the CD you bought.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#15 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat May 12, 2007 3:14 pm

As for running the old KQ games on your "very up to date" system, you might want to try DOSBox, which is a free piece of software which almost completely simulates a real DOS computer.

banshee098
Peasant Status

DOS box

#16 Post by banshee098 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:03 am

To three headed monkey, many thanks for your advice.  I had DOS box on my previous computer.  I have downloaded it to this one but now cannot find all those instructions to get it going.  Also, I found it extremely confusing to start it off to play a game and it was such a tiny screen.  Do you think you can help me in these 2 issues?
I have scumm also and that is so easy to use.  Scumm will not accept the Kings Quest games unfortunately.
Do you deal with nit wits often?  Mind you, once I get off the mark I won't be a nitwit.
b b b banshee

Schloss Ritter
Knight Status

#17 Post by Schloss Ritter » Sun May 13, 2007 7:17 am

For configuring DosBox, a graphical frontend such as D-Fend, works nicely to walk you through the setup process.  http://members.home.nl/mabus/

There may be newer (better?) frontends out there too.  Google is your friend for searching.

ThreeHeadedMonkey
Knight Status

Re:

#18 Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sun May 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Yes, try that frontend if you're having trouble setting it up. And you can run it in full screen by pressing Alt + Enter while running DOSBox. Good luck!

banshee098
Peasant Status

downloading problems

#19 Post by banshee098 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi All,
          have been trying to download KQ1 from the AGD site but keep getting
INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY WEB PAGE
This has happened at least a dozen times.  Has the site closed down or am I just unlucky?
Have AGD updated KQ3,4,5,and 7?  They are very good games.
Is there another place I can download them from?
banshee

pass
Royal Servant Status

#20 Post by pass » Mon May 21, 2007 6:15 am

have been trying to download KQ1 from the AGD site but keep getting
INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY WEB PAGE
This has happened at least a dozen times.  Has the site closed down or am I just unlucky?
This was already reported, and I believe it is taken care of.
Have AGD updated KQ3,4,5,and 7?
No.
Is there another place I can download them from?
Infamous Adventures remade KQ3, you can download it from here: http://www.infamous-adventures.com/kq3/

banshee098
Peasant Status

kq2

#21 Post by banshee098 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:27 am

Thanks for the info pass.  I am downloading kq3 right now.
Yes I know I reported that the web site for downloading AGD games wasn't working, but it isn't resolved.  Still can't get onto it.  Will keep on trying though.
I looked at the deFender site and am waiting for a friend to come and help me with it.  It looks a bit complicated for my computer knowledge.
My husband has bought a new computer with Win Vista.  Hope it's as good as Win XP
banshee