Storyline Confusion

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

PrinceEdward
Peasant Status

Storyline Confusion

#1 Post by PrinceEdward » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 am

Played the game.  And liked it a lot.  I have been reading the forums concerning the Father, and the confusion surrounding thereof.  I think people have been missing a critical question, which is the source of the confusion.

What is the function of the character?

In other words, is he serving as a mechanism for a B-story in KQ3 (like what happened to Graham while you were busy being Alexander)?  Is he a leadup to the villian in KQ8?  Or is he designed (technically speaking) to be a character to be dealt with in a KQ9 or a future remake?  Is the "item" he refers to intended to be revealed (as in a remake) or is it intended to be an ambiguous exposition?

I understand that the creators want to retain a mystery, which I respect.  However, if we understood the intention of the creation of the character, and its intended application... I think that would retain the integrity of the writing, while clearing up confusion.

Thanks so much.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#2 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:08 am

I asked that question ages ago I think the father was a effort to bridge the gap between Kings quest and the BCS(black cloak society) theory it also helps tie loose ends as to why the event's of kings quest 3-7 happen

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Storyline Confusion

#3 Post by Erpy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:47 pm

PrinceEdward wrote:Played the game.  And liked it a lot.  I have been reading the forums concerning the Father, and the confusion surrounding thereof.  I think people have been missing a critical question, which is the source of the confusion.

What is the function of the character?

In other words, is he serving as a mechanism for a B-story in KQ3 (like what happened to Graham while you were busy being Alexander)?  Is he a leadup to the villian in KQ8?  Or is he designed (technically speaking) to be a character to be dealt with in a KQ9 or a future remake?  Is the "item" he refers to intended to be revealed (as in a remake) or is it intended to be an ambiguous exposition?
He's technically speaking a character Graham is destined to deal with at some point after KQ8. The Item is an actual item that's hidden somewhere and the first king's crown acts as a compass to find it.

AsianMusicGuy
Defense Minister Status

#4 Post by AsianMusicGuy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:55 pm

I though my theory was spot on aparrently not

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

Let sleeping McGuffins lie

#5 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:15 am

The Father was a way of tying the games together. The inferences to the BCS seemed a more natural way to do this than a 'new' band of baddies that no one had heard about.

At the time, consideration was given to continuing the storyline in further remakes/games, until things got very busy on the commercial end of the pond.

As for the Item... isn't it better not knowing? :)

Germain
Peasant Status

Re: Storyline Confusion

#6 Post by Germain » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:54 pm

No, it is not. The "item" is the MacGuffin, that which propels the plot of the game (in conjunction, I suppose, with Graham seeking the damsel in distress who just happens to fall in love with him).

Given that the item is constantly touched upon in the game's cutscenes, and that it is unlikely to be revealed in a future game (because there will probably not be one), it should have been revealed within this game.