The vampire plot change

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Dwalin
Peasant Status

The vampire plot change

#1 Post by Dwalin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 am

Just wanted to ask: is there anybody else who hated what the count did to Possum and her grandmother? I quite liked those two characters and felt sorry for them, so after seeing them turned into THAT, I got really depressed. And what surprises me is that some people, as I have read, not only don't mind but even find attractive that anastasia thing in which the poor little girl was transformed. And the game doesn' even give to the player the possibility to take any kind of revenge on that maniac! How sad...
The game was enjoyable, I don't deny it but, in my opinion, this kind of plot change wasn't that good. So does anybody think the same ?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: The vampire plot change

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 am

Grandma would have died that night regardless of whether the Count intervened or not, and Caldaur justifies that making Possum immortal (albeit undead), is better than leaving her as an 8-year-old child to live by herself while the Brotherhood remain at large.

During development, I had originally suggested that the Brotherhood should mortally wound Possum after Grandma falls asleep, and the Count "saves" Possum by turning her immortal just before she dies. However, the whole idea got lost in translation or we just didn't implement it, or something. But if you prefer the Count's actions to make more logical sense, then I guess you could presume that something like that happened.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 am

Heh. Originally that part shocked me as well, but if you really think about it, it actually fits all vampire stories you ever heard/seen. So, it felt pretty clever. :) (Not to mention the fact that it fits the story of Anastasia as well)

... and the Count still isn't exactly a good guy, but it is his wife and grand-child...

Dwalin
Peasant Status

#4 Post by Dwalin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:49 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote: During development, I had originally suggested that the Brotherhood should mortally wound Possum after Grandma falls asleep, and the Count "saves" Possum by turning her immortal just before she dies. .
That's even worse. First mortally wounded by werewolves ( by the way, aren't their bites contagious as well?) , then "saved" by a vampire and deprived of the childhood by being transformed directly in a grown-up monster and, as it seems, getting completely mad in the process ( because only a mad child would say she should be grateful for being transformed into a vampire). So what kind of insane were-vampire has she become?
And why did Graham have such an unnatural reaction? When Anastasia asked him if he disliked her new appearance, he said he didn't mind it at all. Quite a strange reasoning, isn't it?. Seeing a child become a grown-up walking dead after only a couple of hours should not be considered that normal, at least from the point of view of a “good guy” character.
Don't take offence, I don't mean to criticize the game too heavily, maybe I just didn't expect that kind of thing in a non-horror or thriller game.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:03 pm

That's even worse.
Well, that approach wasn't really intended as an attempt to reduce shock value for the player, but simply to make the Count's own motives seem slightly more humane and less like outright murder.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#6 Post by Gronagor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Dwalin wrote: And why did Graham have such an unnatural reaction? When Anastasia asked him if he disliked her new appearance, he said he didn't mind it at all. Quite a strange reasoning, isn't it?. Seeing a child become a grown-up walking dead after only a couple of hours should not be considered that normal, at least from the point of view of a “good guy” character.
Heh. I took it that he quickly tried to 'not offend' a vampire.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#7 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 am

That's it, Gron.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#8 Post by Gronagor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:49 pm

Why is it that you decided to make the vampires the 'good-bad-guys' and the werewolves the 'bad-bad-guys'?? :p

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#9 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Because wolfpeople as the bad-good-guys and vampires as the bad-bad-guys has already been done in a Sierra game. :p

Dwalin
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Dwalin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Erpy wrote:Because wolfpeople as the bad-good-guys and vampires as the bad-bad-guys has already been done in a Sierra game. :p

What game?

adeyke

#11 Post by adeyke » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Quest for Glory 4.

Cadbury Wookie
Royal Scribe

#12 Post by Cadbury Wookie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:10 pm

is there anybody else who hated what the count did to Possum and her grandmother?
Nasty, wasn't it? Would you believe it was an act of love? The count wanted to protect his family against the Brotherhood. Turning them into vampires served that aim.

If memory serves, I had planned to revisit Anastasia at that point. Once she had lived (sort of) through the number of years required to reach her apparent "age", she would set out on a quest to reverse the effects of vampirism. Against her grandfather's wishes, of course.

And in my mind, she did just that. :)

When Anastasia asked him if he disliked her new appearance, he said he didn't mind it at all.
You mean he should have risked upsetting this young, potentially unstable mind with an appetite for his blood? Methinks Mister Spock would not approve.

Why is it that you decided to make the vampires the 'good-bad-guys' and the werewolves the 'bad-bad-guys'??
I like vampires. They have a wonderful, silent style. Werewolves are hairy, make too much noise and drool. Too close to home. ;)

kijikun
Peasant Status

#13 Post by kijikun » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:58 pm

I'd sort of assumed she'd already been a child for a very long time (not sure why, just something about her being Red Riding Hood and sort of stuck as a child) so that being turned into a vampire and gowning up was a good thing.