Issue with Hq filtering

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Alpha Eclipse
Peasant Status

Issue with Hq filtering

#1 Post by Alpha Eclipse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 pm

If I try to set the graphics filter to Hq2x or 3x, I get the following message:

---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00519561 ; program pointer is -3, ACI version 3.12.1074, gtags (2883,21)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK

I'm running Vista and everything works fine using any of the other filters, but I'd really like to get the Hq filters working. Also, keep in mind I have both QFG2 and KQ1 from AGDI on the same computer, and they both work fine running under the Hq filters.

Finally, this is kind of an aside, but is there a key stroke combination that allows the user to manually switch between full screen and windowed versions of the game while it's running?

Any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

Re: Issue with Hq filtering

#2 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:34 pm

The crash is an AGS engine-related issue, so you should post it on the AGS Technical forum here:

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2.0

Perhaps someone can suggest a working solution. Though keep in mind that those filters will make the game look a lot worse and also won't offer good performance unless you have a fast PC.

You might also see this thread for some suggestions (seems like you're getting exactly the same error message):

http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtop ... &sk=t&sd=a

Sadly, I don't believe AGS games have a feature to switch between full-screen and windowed mode at will. The default Alt+Tab keystroke, which is common to most games, doesn't work. I guess implementing it is more technically involved than it seems, otherwise CJ probably would have added it already.

Alpha Eclipse
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Alpha Eclipse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Ah, thanks for the help, and sorry that I missed the other topic before posting. I'll see what I can find out about the filtering over at the AGS forums. I know that most people dislike the Hq filtering, but I feel that it makes the text much easier on the eyes. It also tends to give the graphics a bit of a "water color" feel, which I think suits the style of the old Sierra games quite well.

The inability to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes at will is kind of unfortunate, but I can deal with it. It's only an issue when I'm in the middle of one of the few unskippable cutscenes and want to quit the game since for some reason I can't close the game from the system tray when it's minimized via alt+tab unless I terminate it from the Task Manager. Either way, it's not a big deal, but it can be a minor inconvenience.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and thanks for the great remakes.

Knight Status

#4 Post by 1234567890 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:24 pm

For me, I prefer the 2x filter over the 3x. I can't use no filter (I'm not talking southern-ish :p ) as I am using Wine in linux, not native windows. I think I agree about the watercolours. I just haven't ever seen it without the 2/3x filters.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:30 am

The thing with those filters is that they smudge and blur all the colors and make a mess of the subtle artistic details in the backgrounds. That's definitely not the effect when we were aiming for by trying to IMPROVE the quality of all the game screens! :lol

Although we can disable these filters, we still leave them available for people to try out as a gimmick. I'd never recommend actually playing the games exclusively with them though... just, yuck! :x

At any rate, the Hq2x and Hq3x filter crashes have been confirmed as an engine-related bug in King's Quest II v3.0.

Knight Status

#6 Post by 1234567890 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Hmm. Well, I FINALLY got it to work on linux, normally it only works for me with 2x.

hertel11
Peasant Status

#7 Post by hertel11 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:48 am

I am running a new computer with am optimum display setting of 900x1400. What is the designed resolution? Something like 200x300? My monitor is wide screen as well. I HAVE to use the filters in order to not have an extremely distorted picture. Color and clarity are secondary to stretched and distorted. Am I wrong, or is it even possible to run the lower resolutions on my computer. (I can use the 2x filter and run 1280x800 when playing qfg2. However I have to use the 4x filter on KQII to get the same resolution. The 1280x800 resolution is the only resolution that matches with the windows resolutions I am given for my video card. Any other setting I choose the picture is stretched/distorted.)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 am

The game is made in 320x200 res. 200x300 would be like the monitor's standing on its side.

papste
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by papste » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:39 am

You can set custom resolutions and scaling from the nvidia control panel IF you own an nvidia video card. Those 2 options fixed all my problems with AGS games so far. Also check your monitor menu in case you have aspect ratio setting, my samsung T240 has a setting like that which lets me switch from wide-screen to auto.