Can't save the game

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

spacecadet
Peasant Status

Can't save the game

#1 Post by spacecadet » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi all. I've recently downloaded the newly polished KQ2+ remake and started playing, and I can't seem to be able to save my game. Save dialogue proceeds as normal but no actual savegame slots are ever filled, and both the save and restore lists always remain empty. Nothing to restore from or rewrite. Could someone help please? Thanks a lot in advance.

(Other than that the game looks amazing, love what you've done with the backgrounds. And this John Bell dude is cool.)

spacecadet
Peasant Status

Re: Can't save the game

#2 Post by spacecadet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Anyone please? Pretty straightforward question and a major issue, I figured lots of support would have been offered by now. :(

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#3 Post by DrJones » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Have you looked your hard disk for .sav files? There is a chance the files are saved on the wrong directory. It's an issue that has been reported by users with Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Windows Vista.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#4 Post by spacecadet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:02 pm

I've looked and I can't find any relevant .sav files elsewhere on my drive.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#5 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Are you running the game under Windows Vista?

If so, you may need to run the game as admin in order to see the savegame files. They should be stored in the "My Saved Games" folder and not in the actual game directory.

You might also need to make hidden files viewable, as some filetypes are occasionally hidden by Windows by default.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#6 Post by spacecadet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 am

No, I'm on XP SP2 actually.
Ah OK, found a single saved game (figures as only one is ever saved each time I run the game) in the "My Saved Games" folder under My Documents. Still can't seem to make any use of it... the save dialogue doesn't access that folder, nor does moving the file into the game directory help.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#7 Post by Gronagor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:28 am

Wow. That is strange. The game should work perfectly in SP2.
You're not playing the game from a CD or something, right? Probably not since you've moved that file.
In your 'My Saved Games' folder there should be a 'King's Quest II' folder, and the file in there.

The file's name will probably be: "agssave.001"

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#8 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 am

Perhaps you should try uninstalling the game, rebooting, redownloading, and then re-installing it again.

Did you use the default installation folder and start menu settings (i.e. Program Files/AGDInteractive/King's Quest II)?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 pm

If you can see icons for the files, the save game will probably have an icon with Valanice in front of the KQ-logo. You should even be able to double-click on the save game and go directly to the game.

spacecadet
Peasant Status

#10 Post by spacecadet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks for the advice guys. :)
AGD2, I'd already reinstalled once before posting this thread, but the issue remained.
Gronagor, thanks, didn't know running the game through a save file was possible. Still, manually loading and relocating a single save file each time is a bit of a bother.
The agssave.001 file was indeed in the My saved games\kq2 folder under My Documents. I'm running the game from my hard drive, fully installed. Not from a CD.

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#11 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:40 pm

This is a bit of an odd situation, as I haven't heard anything like this before.

Perhaps posting about this on the AGS technical forum might result in some more helpful replies from a wider pool of people who may have experienced it before.

http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?board=2.0