Small itsy bitsy unimportant detail amiss

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Labrynian Rebel
Peasant Status

Small itsy bitsy unimportant detail amiss

#1 Post by Labrynian Rebel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 am

Alright, my younger sister was playing the King's Quest II remake, and she got stuck on a puzzle, here's what happened:
Tries to take quill from library, says the librarian will notice its gone
she gets the library card
tries to get it signed
librarian stops her
thinks to herself "if she won't let me use her quill and she will notice if it's gone.."
then she pulls out the swan feather, and tries that on the inkwell, just says "it doesn't work"
then she tries when the librarian isn't looking "it doesn't work"
gets frustrated :rolleyes

Now, I know the "correct" way to solve this, but it doesn't make sense that you can't dip the feather and use that that to sign your card. The event of you getting your card signed is already in the game, and you wouldn't use up the feather either, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make it so you can click on the inkwell with the swan feather when the librarian isn't looking to get your card signed just the same. Also, you could just cut off the first part of the voice acting so it just says "You sign your library card when the librarian isn't looking" or something like that so you don't need a new narrated message. All in all it shouldn't be that hard to program, at least I don't see a difficulty. I think this little detail will make the game, shall we say, more sound.

I know that this unimportant little detail does not warrant even noticing, but if some major bug or something is found in the game and you release another version, maybe you could donate just a little bit more of your precious time to program this while you're at it.

Love your games, look forward to your future commercial products! :D

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

Re: Small itsy bitsy unimportant detail amiss

#2 Post by goatmeal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Labrynian Rebel wrote:Now, I know the "correct" way to solve this, but it doesn't make sense that you can't dip the feather and use that that to sign your card. The event of you getting your card signed is already in the game, and you wouldn't use up the feather either, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make it so you can click on the inkwell with the swan feather when the librarian isn't looking to get your card signed just the same.
<SPOILER>

While you logically should be able to use the feather to sign the library card, doing so would not allow you to have a 'pure' feather to put into the mixture when making the emerald...

Would you have to wash all of the ink off first in a body of water? Would all of the ink be used up off of the feather when you sign your name? Would a 'tainted' feather (one dipped in an inkwell, likely still containing ink) work as well in the Emerald Creation formula as a 'pure' feather?

Just some questions to ponder...

...and Sierra adventure games weren't always known for their logic in solving the puzzles. ;)

Goatmeal

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#3 Post by Gronagor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 am

goatmeal wrote: ...and Sierra adventure games weren't always known for their logic in solving the puzzles.
LOL! Any adventure game... worst of all LucasArts games. :)

But you're right. With that type of thinking you could use any item in your inventory to solve most of the puzzles in the game.
It is just one of those things with adventure games. You have to figure out what the designer planned.

goatmeal
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by goatmeal » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:57 am

Gronagor wrote:
LOL! Any adventure game... worst of all LucasArts games. :)

Many of the LucasArts fans seem to slam Sierra games for their lack of logic in puzzles. Interesting to hear there are some dissenters from that view... ;)

While I played some LucasArts adventure games back in the day, I just never to get into them as much as I did Sierra games... Maybe I understood the Sierra logic of puzzle solving better than the LucasArt logic of puzzle solving.