Brothers and Sisters?

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

Brothers and Sisters?

#1 Post by crayauchtin » Fri May 07, 2010 6:55 am

Okay, so I've got to ask about this smallll matter of contention...

Was it intended in KQ2+ for Hagatha, Mordack, and Manannan all to be related?
Judging by the letter to Hagatha, I said it was -- why else would Manannan call himself her sibling? He may be her brother in the Black Cloak Society but I've never heard sibling used in any context except biological. Also, why would we talk only about Mordack? Like, do the two of them just not care about any other members of the group or is he somehow more important to them? Y'know?

However, it's been argued to me that the fact that Angelina would become a sister of the organization and the Caldaur was called a brother means that the term brother and sister were being used to to indicate membership. And, it was argued, that the use of "sibling" was just an in-joke.
Obviously, I'm unconvinced. But I thought I would ask just to make sure.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

Re: Brothers and Sisters?

#2 Post by Erpy » Fri May 07, 2010 9:01 am

Manannan, Mordack and Hagatha are siblings...that's pretty much official KQ canon. (or semi-official, at least)

In The Father's organisation, "sister" and "brother" are simply used to indicate membership.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by crayauchtin » Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks Erpy! I love to be right! :)

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Roberta never considered Hagatha to be sister to Mordack and Manannan, but the King's Quest Companion said she was, just to shed more light on the subject.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#5 Post by crayauchtin » Fri May 07, 2010 3:49 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Roberta never considered Hagatha to be sister to Mordack and Manannan, but the King's Quest Companion said she was, just to shed more light on the subject.
Yes, I remembered that.
Roberta also never had anything to do with the Black Cloak Society, that was the creation of Jane Jensen, wasn't it?

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#6 Post by Erpy » Fri May 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Actually, I also fainly recall "The King's Questions" (a trivia game included with a version of the KQ collection) to mention Hagatha being related to Mordack and Manannan.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by crayauchtin » Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Erpy wrote:Actually, I also fainly recall "The King's Questions" (a trivia game included with a version of the KQ collection) to mention Hagatha being related to Mordack and Manannan.
That was where I first heard of it, but I thought that was created by Jane Jensen and Peter Spears. :\

I played that game wayyyyyy too much when I was a kid. :P

MusicallyInspired

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Actually, the Black Cloak Society is an AGDI creation. The only two societies created in official KQ canon are the Society of Wizards (of which at least Mordack and Crispin are members) and the Order of the Black Cloak which was mentioned in KQ6 by Alhazred who also mentioned a mysterious "Shadrack" who was never ever mentioned again in the series. Shadrack and the Order of the Black Cloak were created by Jane Jensen and again Roberta never had anything to do with it. Personally, I don't think Roberta has much vision.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#9 Post by crayauchtin » Fri May 07, 2010 11:16 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Actually, the Black Cloak Society is an AGDI creation. The only two societies created in official KQ canon are the Society of Wizards (of which at least Mordack and Crispin are members) and the Order of the Black Cloak which was mentioned in KQ6 by Alhazred who also mentioned a mysterious "Shadrack" who was never ever mentioned again in the series. Shadrack and the Order of the Black Cloak were created by Jane Jensen and again Roberta never had anything to do with it. Personally, I don't think Roberta has much vision.
I don't think it was ever called the Order of the Black Cloak in KQ6, it was just a nameless bad guy organization invented by Jane Jensen of which Alhazred, Shadrack, and Mordack were all supposed to be members. The name of that being the Black Cloak Society has been around much longer than the AGDI remake (which "fanonized" the name into being "official" :P) but other people have referred to it as the Order of the Black Cloak, the Society of the Black Cloak, and the Brotherhood of the Black Cloak (which, I think, assumes that Hagatha is not a member).

I think Roberta's ideas were a great foundation for the World of Daventry, but I think Peter Spears, Jane Jensen, and a whoooole lot of imagination by the fans are really what brought it to life.
I'd kind of like to see a more "fanonized" novelization of the whole series, like a more lore-ified King's Quest Companion. Maybe I'll write one. :P

MusicallyInspired

#10 Post by MusicallyInspired » Fri May 07, 2010 11:41 pm

crayauchtin wrote:I don't think it was ever called the Order of the Black Cloak in KQ6, it was just a nameless bad guy organization invented by Jane Jensen of which Alhazred, Shadrack, and Mordack were all supposed to be members.
Yes it was. It was mentioned and named in Alhazred's letter (or when you're overhearing him writing it or something). It clearly states "The Order of the Black Cloak" right in the game. I'm positive of this.

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#11 Post by crayauchtin » Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 am

It appears, we're *both* wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ADVRipper4E ... ztxobXW2MU

At 2:02, Alhazred refers to it as the Society of the Black Cloak.

MusicallyInspired

#12 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 am

Ah. I was sure I heard him say "order". But anyway, he does say it so it's "official" official canon ;).

crayauchtin
Royal Servant Status

#13 Post by crayauchtin » Sat May 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Maybe the actor said "order" but the script says "society"? :P