Navigating the swamp

This forum is for discussion about KQII:RTS. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

ili
Peasant Status

Navigating the swamp

#1 Post by ili » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:04 pm

Please can someone tell me how to get through the swamp. I've got the page but the directions get me nowhere. Anyway how can you go south followed straight away by north? You might as well not have moved. Is each direction just one screen or what?

Please help cos clearly it's no problem to anyone but me.

Ili

Broomie
The Enigma

#2 Post by Broomie » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:14 pm

Wait, do you just need to be told how it all works or how to actually get into the swamp?

The directions you see is a common adventure game puzzle, using clues to navigate though a labyrinth, you go North, that's N sorted out, you go South, that S sorted out, keep following the designated direction and you'll be at the destination. Alot of adventure games use this, it has nothing to do with reality it's just a puzzle. Hope that explained abit.

Jafar
Super Star

#3 Post by Jafar » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Remember, it's an enchanted swamp. Even if your directions make no sense, they'll work. And remember, that first South is on the first screen on the swamp.(It and west are the only ways to go on that screen)

ili
Peasant Status

#4 Post by ili » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:24 pm

Thanks for replying. This is the firstgame i've played so i know nothing.

I'm in th e swamp I've got the page .my directions are SNWWNSWSSW but I don't get whether this is one direction for one screen at a time or what. Also if I go South then North surely I'm just back where I started?

That's why I asked

Cheers

ili
Peasant Status

#5 Post by ili » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:26 pm

Thanks jafar, I've just seen your reply too

Jafar
Super Star

#6 Post by Jafar » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:27 pm

The directions are for one screen at a time.
Go south one scree, then north one screen, ETC.
Oh, and after going south, then north that first time, you'll be in a completly different place. :evil

SmoKey
Royal Servant Status

#7 Post by SmoKey » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:27 am

Also, make sure that you're doing these directions from the second swamp screen.

If you look at the map on AGDI's site, it shows Swamp Entrance, and then a Swamp square to the right. Follow the directions when being on the swamp screen to the right of the swamp entrance.

Hope thats not TOO confusing :o

Sedna
Peasant Status

#8 Post by Sedna » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:37 pm

ili wrote:my directions are SNWWNSWSSW
I figured out the poem quickly, but I have got different directions:

SEWSESWWNW (Spiders earnest with spindly eight spin webs with negligible weight.) does that make sense? no it doesn't. Because when I go in these directions, I always get poisoned (plus I go east-west aswell).

Or do I have to rearrange the words?

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#9 Post by Pidgeot » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:40 pm

The directions are randomized each time you start a new game, so you don't have to re-arrange anything.

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#10 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:40 pm

Make sure you start from the correct screen. Find the scene with the flies, go one screen east to enter the swamp, and then start following your directions.

Also be sure to keep out of the water. I believe you should always be able to exit in any direction and not be poisoned.

Also, the directions don't deposit you directly at the castle. You'll see the castle in the screen to the north. When you see that, go north.

Sedna
Peasant Status

#11 Post by Sedna » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:44 pm

navynuke04 wrote:Make sure you start from the correct screen. Find the scene with the flies, go one screen east to enter the swamp, and then start following your directions.

Also be sure to keep out of the water. I believe you should always be able to exit in any direction and not be poisoned.

Also, the directions don't deposit you directly at the castle. You'll see the castle in the screen to the north. When you see that, go north.
ok, so the screen with the flies is the one north of hagathas cave, isn't it?

unfortunately, with the screen being so dark, I can't figure out what's water and what's not ...

edit: I changed my monitors brightness ... should work now ...

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#12 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:47 pm

ok, so the screen with the flies is the one north of hagathas cave, isn't it?
Yes.
unfortunately, with the screen being so dark, I can't figure out what's water and what's not ...
When you exit a screen, make sure you do it in the middle of the screen. You might also want to adjust the brightness on your monitor.

Sedna
Peasant Status

#13 Post by Sedna » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:50 pm

found it now, thanks for your help :)

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#14 Post by navynuke04 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:24 pm

No problem. Glad to help!  :)

Lady Sibyl
Peasant Status

#15 Post by Lady Sibyl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:09 am

OK, I'm trying to navigate the Swamp the second time (I found the tiara) but I keep going in circles! Does the same Bible page from the first trip still apply, or what? Please help! Dun' wanna be lost in the Swamp!  :cry
...OK, Lady Sibyl, way to sound insane... :p

navynuke04
Honorary AGD

#16 Post by navynuke04 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 am

Yes. You should follow the exact same route you took the first time.

meredolphin
Peasant Status

#17 Post by meredolphin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:09 am

Okay, well here I am....with the damned swamp problem.
I totally understand about the directions not being "real life" since we're playing in a magical place, however, why is so damned dark?  When will it turn day again?  Can I just find a safe place to wait til day break then do the swamp thing, or do I have to find the castle in the dark?  Or another concern, is my monitor dying?  Is it supposed to be soooooo dark that most screens are almost complete blackness?  Sometimes I catch a glimpse of Graham especially when he's (I've) walked into the poison swamp....one hundred million times.
Any ideas.

Pidgeot
Defense Minister Status

#18 Post by Pidgeot » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:20 am

You most likely need to perform adjustments on your monitor settings. Change the brightness and contrast levels to a higher value.

Failing that, get a utility like alter the gamma correction of your monitor. Your graphics card MAY have one somewhere in its settings, or, depending on what other software you have insstalled, you may have Adobe Gamma in the Control Panel.

pass
Royal Servant Status

#19 Post by pass » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Yeah. It definitely wasn't that dark for me. I mean it was dark, but you could clearly see the screen. Try using the buttons under your monitor (if you have them - most monitors do, i think). As was suggested, increase your brightness, contrast, and/or gamma.