*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Tye
Royal Servant Status

Re: QFG Artwork

#76 Post by Tye » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:18 am

Awwww, no one wants to see any of MY work anymore huh? *pouty face*

:) Here's some anyhow!
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

#77 Post by Tehseen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 am

while i was browsing i found these on net, i thought i should share this with you all
Attachments

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

#78 Post by Tehseen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 am

here's some more
Attachments

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#79 Post by Gronagor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:29 am

That's not true Tye! Nice pic. :) LOL. They'll need to have a completely seperate gallery for your work. :)

Are there any news on the progress of that project Tehseen? Pretty nice. I never saw those.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#80 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:31 pm

Gronagor wrote:Really?
I thought those sketches and animations on your site are pretty good. :)
I like the 3D Thriller animation. :p
Edit: Perhaps post the above pictures on one of your galleries and mention the game release... then you've done your public service for the month! :D
Edit2: Uhm.... when will we be seeing new pics LadyP? :)
:: dies of embarrassment ::
Ugh that site is terrible, as is all the work on it and the only thing that's been updated in a year was my resume. I just looked through it again and now I'm disgusted that people can even find it. Umm but thanks, I was proud of it once upon a time.
And I still have an unhealthy love for Michael Jackson's music.

There's not much point in advertising anything on there, the only people who ever went to it were my teachers to give me a grade and my prospective employers, and somehow I don't think they watch for updates lol.
I'd wreck the thing and just update the galleries with actual half decent stuff but that would take a lot of time, effort and working scanner. None of which I have to dedicate to such an endeavor right now.

And you'll be seeing new pics as soon as I gain access to a working scanner. And I have been offered two for free at this point, but only after my friends upgrade. I also have someone coming in to look at mine but not till next week. I'll see what I can do in the meantime but until then Tye's got some great stuff up, Tehseen seems to have dug up a whole warehouse of 3-D goodies and Eriq just pimped out the site, so I'm not to worried about you guys going through fanart withdrawl :P

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#81 Post by Gronagor » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:54 pm

Ok. We'll wait till you get a scanner.

Tye! Sorry my friend. You'll have to do the job of entertaining us on your own for now! :)

oughtobe

#82 Post by oughtobe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:31 pm

what if QFG was anime?

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#83 Post by Gronagor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:35 pm

:D

Having QfG in anime style isn't a bad idea!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#84 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:56 pm

I hate anime.

Broomie
The Enigma

#85 Post by Broomie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:I hate anime.
Do you actually hate it or are you just not a fan? I don't see any plausible reason for hating something like anime because it isn't exactly something that should bother you in the slightest. Why exactly do you hate it? (not that I'm defending it, I'm not exactly a fan but I'd never say I hated it)

MusicallyInspired

#86 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 am

Yeah, I just don't like it. The 3 frames-per-second animation, absence of any lip-syncing beyond simple mouth movements, and all the triangles just isn't my thing.

I should point out that I'm not saying the picture is bad. I didn't mean to offend the artist if I did. :(

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#87 Post by Tye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:44 am

I think you simply have yet to watch a good anime. When anime is concerned, don't think of crap like DBZ or Pokemon... ugh, try something more along the lines of Ghost in the Shell or Death Note.

adeyke

#88 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 am

Anime are just so varied, in terms of theme, genre, art style, production value, and target demographic that almost any generalization would be false for at least part some of them.

oughtobe

#89 Post by oughtobe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:21 am

adeyke wrote:Anime are just so varied, in terms of theme, genre, art style, production value, and target demographic that almost any generalization would be false for at least part some of them.
But he wasn't trying to incorporate every single piece of "anime", he was generalizing it... and to say "anime" consists of "The 3 frames-per-second animation, absence of any lip-syncing beyond simple mouth movements, and all the triangles..." you are making a good generalization, and i agree, low end "anime" like that, i hate too... I doubt anybody's completely unaware that there is some very high quality "anime", but for the most part, what you generally see, is that lame 3fps, horrible lyp syncing, character flying through the screen with streams of colors all over... and i hate that crap...

adeyke

#90 Post by adeyke » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 am

Well, 90% of everything is crap. If you judge anything based on the quality of its worst constituents, it'll end up looking bad, and that's the danger of such generalizations.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#91 Post by Tye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:20 am

Agreed. It would be similar to judging cartoons on a whole. Most cartoons are very unrealistic looking, and alot of times have look like crap... For instance, South Park. HOWEVER...South Park is also one of the most watched cartoons to date. (simply because of its humor, not drawing style. As the style of drawing only adds to the humor) That may be a bad example...but I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#92 Post by Gronagor » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:38 am

:lol All true.

But considering the fact that 90% of what Disney brings out today is crap (and pure embarrassment to the animation profession), I wouldn't jump to those conclusions that fast.

Ah Disney. How the mighty has fallen.

Hollister
Peasant Status

#93 Post by Hollister » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:47 am

I hope you don't mind Lady Pyro, but I've colored your beautiful sketch, and am working on Success! Since it fits here, here it is!
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#94 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:59 am

Scanner Access! Yeah!
Unfortunately I don't have the whole set with me, but what I do have is an idea I stole from xarcos. Granted I had some trouble with this as I've never drawn frogs before so it didn't turn out great.
Aaaand knife juggling because I can't think of anything else to draw right now.

Holy Crap Hollister that looks fantastic! You can feel free to replace my terrible text and by all means color it all if you want!
I have like, six more things finished and ready to post back home and two things I've drawn tonight but don't like very much so I'll fix em up tomorrow. I would have brought them over but didn't realize Nicole had a scanner now. Hopefully I'll be able to get em up tomorrow night!

Hollister
Peasant Status

#95 Post by Hollister » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 am

Wow, more sketches, I will simply have to get back to work! Good practice. Luckily I have access to a nice Epson 12 inch at my desk, and a huge 18 inch Epson Perfection at work. I printed out the sketches on 11x17 the biggest I could get them, then inked in Sharpie. :)
Holy Crap Hollister that looks fantastic!
Thank you, Lady Pyro, that is quite a compliment, looking at the wonderful sketches you've posted. I guess my talents do not lay in the same area. Now if I could translate that into a game... :p

Actually, I like the way the hand-drawn lettering looks alongside the linework, it seems to fit.

New coloring, I'll probably dive on those new ones tomorrow, they're too cool to pass up. That frog turned out fine, it looks great like everything else. I can see a pixelly text parser bar at the bottom saying 'Suck Blue Frog' Do What?
Attachments

[The extension png has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#96 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:28 pm

Good job Hollister. :)

Wonderful sketches LadyP! I'm pretty curious how you would do with a Katta. :) How about drawing Shema for us!!! Pretty please!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#97 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:Yeah, I just don't like it. The 3 frames-per-second animation, absence of any lip-syncing beyond simple mouth movements, and all the triangles just isn't my thing.
LOL. You know, that 'bad lip-syncing' is actually 'bad american translation'. :lol

MusicallyInspired

#98 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Actually, what I meant was "absence of more than one lip movement shape." Basically you've got open, half-open, and closed. Oh and the :o face (along with the traditional grunting sound and/or gasp/sigh they think they have to give for every single facial expression).

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#99 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:52 pm

The lack of lip-syncing isn't an artistic decision, guys - it's a process decision. The way Western animation works is called prescoring. Even if the voices aren't recorded yet (which 99% of the time they are), the script is pretty much fleshed out and, as such, the animation can be designed around that. Eastern animation is typically NOT prescored, so even the natural Japanese animation and vocals typically don't synchronize properly - the art is done before the vocals are performed.

There are actually some computer programs out now for dubbing non-prescored animation that allows some more leeway with the illusion of lip-synchronization, actually. I don't know how commonly used they are (or how well that actually work, frankly).

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#100 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Gronagor wrote:Good job Hollister. :)

Wonderful sketches LadyP! I'm pretty curious how you would do with a Katta. :) How about drawing Shema for us!!! Pretty please!
OoOo Shema? Sounds fun! I'll see how late I get home tonight and give it a shot!

Also, on the topic of Japanese Animation:
You defiantly can't lump it altogether, what with extremes like the smooth and gorgeous masterpieces like Akira and anything Studio Gibli puts out and then the choppy bastard Dragon ball Z.
But if you consider anime, like was described, being about three frames on animation then stills, then even then it has it's merits. It's all about approach.
I find a lot of what we do over here is a lot of wild 'Looney toons' style animation or very grounded and realistic, both of which force you to adopt a very simplistic style for your characters. No excess clothing or details, otherwise your budget goes up.
With Anime (using the generalized term and let's assume you're watching a pretty anime at that), every character is loaded with complex clothing and textures, making them all quite interesting to look at, but hard to animate. So you're forced to hold frames and restrict movement.
What I like about this style anime is that you can pause anywhere in the movie or show, and the picture will always look like something you could hang on your wall. It pretty and you can tell whoever worked on it too time and care and knew what they where doing.
Now Pause an American cartoon, okay you may hit a well drawn keyframe, or you may get one of the 11 poses between that's smeared, stretched and off model. It moves well but trust me, takes no time to pump out.

But I'm not looking to change opinions, just throwing that out there.