*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

Re: QFG Artwork

#126 Post by Gronagor » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Hollister wrote:I'm kinda surprised you haven't had anyone ask you to join their team yet (or propose, I would but I'm married already :lol) Hope you stick around, even without the art.
Three things:
1. How do you know nobody asked her. :)
2. She hasn't quite given the impression she (and neither has Tye) wants to work on a fan-based royalty-free project.
3. Most people we approached with projects (I'm talking from the fan-games perspective), who is in the same type of industry, is either wary, or actually have it in their contracts that they're not allowed to work on other projects (for free or for financial gain). I know we've had two of those instances at Hero6.

linkin182
Peasant Status

#127 Post by linkin182 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:26 pm

I've just gotta say wonderful job Tye and Lady Pyro your artwork really brings back the nostalgia of QFG. Keep em coming! :rollin

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#128 Post by Tye » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 am

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here, but that's only because I've been working so much! I've got three days off in a row right now, so I'll try to get more of this stuff up.
Three things:
1. How do you know nobody asked her. :)
2. She hasn't quite given the impression she (and neither has Tye) wants to work on a fan-based royalty-free project.
3. Most people we approached with projects (I'm talking from the fan-games perspective), who is in the same type of industry, is either wary, or actually have it in their contracts that they're not allowed to work on other projects (for free or for financial gain). I know we've had two of those instances at Hero6.
Honestly, if I could work on a project like QFG2VGA, I'd die happy. Though, my specialty would be in claywork, not anything I've posted so far until....NOW

The image here is my rendition of a saurus. This is only PART of a bigger picture that I'll be making. Oh, and it was made with Super Sculpey (Clay), and colored in photoshop. (The outlining was also done in photoshop)

EDIT: Also, I wanted to point out that his reins(sp?) will be added in the finished artwork.
OH, and THANKS Linkin! Much appreciated.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#129 Post by Tye » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:33 am

I understand that this is a double post, and I apologize for that... But it's the only way I could think of doing this without things being out of order (since I'm posting this before anyone has replied).

Here it is. Spent all night working on it. Except for the background, this was made entirely of Clay. Super Sculpey actually. And shipped to photoshop for coloring and outlining.

I really hope you all like it, it's taken me a few hours. :P ;)

Solarkid
Knight Status

#130 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 am

Fantastic. Seriously man, i love it, you have a way with the modelling which is just beautiful, and the colours are perfect.
If anything, the only thing i could say that i don't like as much is the kind of white streaky lines effect that you've imposed on top. They kind of desaturate the colours behind them a bit. But don't let that for a minute put you down, its just my personal preference, i still love it as a whole.

Dave

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#131 Post by Tye » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Are you talking about the wind blowing the sand? It's supposed to be like that for *Dramatic Effect*. If you would like to see what it would look like without the sand storm, let me know and I'll post it.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#132 Post by Gronagor » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Oooh! Very nice!!

PS: Personally I don't consider it to be a double-post if there's a time in between. Many people just check the threads, and only reply when they have something to say. If you edit it afterwards, they won't know you did so until after someone else posted.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#133 Post by Tye » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Here's an updated version...without the sand blowing ;)

Solarkid
Knight Status

#134 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:27 pm

Yes! Perfect!
In my opinion anyway :) i still like it with the sand effect but this is fab

Kloreep
Knight Status

#135 Post by Kloreep » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:35 pm

Now that's a sight for saur-us!

Sorry. I couldn't resist. Stop looking at me like that.

On a more serious note, great work Tye. :)

JonWW
Royal Servant Status

#136 Post by JonWW » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Tye wrote:Honestly, if I could work on a project like QFG2VGA, I'd die happy. Though, my specialty would be in claywork, not anything I've posted so far until....NOW
It's a bit late to change all the conversation windows, but it would have been cool to have clay animation for the conversations like Sierra did for the Quest for Glory I VGA remake. I think even the combat animation was done in clay animation in the game. Would be interesting to see what Ad Avis would look like with Clay Animation...

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#137 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:50 pm

Those look fantastic Tye, I always wanted to learn sculpture but never had the patience for it. ^.^
Hollister wrote: Well anyway, even if you aren't exactly on your 'A' game with these, I have to say they're some of the best adventure fan art I've layed eyes on. I'm kinda surprised you haven't had anyone ask you to join their team yet (or propose, I would but I'm married already :lol) Hope you stick around, even without the art.
Thank you very much! I admit I love posting here, it does wonders for the self esteem!
Gronagor wrote: Most people we approached with projects (I'm talking from the fan-games perspective), who is in the same type of industry, is either wary, or actually have it in their contracts that they're not allowed to work on other projects (for free or for financial gain). I know we've had two of those instances at Hero6.
My current contract allows me to work on other projects as long as they don't interfere with my work. If I slip up and stop making my quota they can legally force me to quit my side projects (or fire me) so unfortunately, even if I was asked to do some work, I'd have to decline. I don't have a lot of free time as it is and wouldn't be able to give such a big project the attention it deserves.
On top of that, this contract is nearly up and I should be starting at a new studio sometime over the next three weeks (yeah mini vacation!) which will be tackling an even bigger project that I have even less experience on (assuming I get the contract at all) so I'll have even less time.
Anyway, Thanks to a power outage last night, you guys get another unfinished picture. I hate when art can't speak for itself, but since the second half of this never got finished:
Our thieving Hero explains to WIT why he should be allowed to learn magic....

Solarkid
Knight Status

#138 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:38 pm

Hahaa i love it.
Heres my wee colour adaption of your fantastic work, alongside the lighting effects i favour so much...

Dave
Attachments

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#139 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:50 am

Nice job Solarkid. :) You have an interesting style that works!

Solarkid
Knight Status

#140 Post by Solarkid » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks :) i only wish i was able to draw like Lady Pyro or Tye.

Dave

SirFuzzi
Peasant Status

#141 Post by SirFuzzi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:04 pm

No word of a lie, Lady Pyro, I am officially an addict of your style. (and not just because you and Tye are the only two sponsors of QFG fanart I've ever seen, either.

Your style however, Tye, is so interesting and unique that I can't stop twiddling my fingers to hope there's more. Like a kid waiting for my Saturday morning cartoons, man.

The both of you are incredible at what you do, and Solarkid, your interjections of colour are a pretty interesting and... er, colourful spin. So!

PS: I had a good laugh at the frog one, Lady Pyro.

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#142 Post by Shantzy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:04 am

Hey, late for the party as usual. I must say, all these hero drawings are wonderful!
It really makes me wonder what QFG would look like as a more toony Monkey Island 3 type of gig, or why not, an animated movie! Lady Pyro, you're amazing.

I think the katta dance drawing is really artistic and is improved by the fact that it's only crayon sketch. I think it's beautiful. Draw me as one of your french girls Jack!

I just had a thought right now, possibly a really bad thought, insulting really, but here goes. Do you guys think it's possible that the Coles are furry fans? Condoning a large part of the effort to animating a cat shaking its tail, all these taurs and hybrids all over the place. I don't know but there's a full body dog suit buried here, or possibly in the bedroom chest.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#143 Post by Gronagor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:31 pm

LOL! Perhaps. :) But the arab theme required something like that... and one can't really say 'furry'-fans since the kattas in QfG2EGA really can't be said to have fur. :lol

... besides... who doesn't like a humanoid girl cat? Meow!! :lol

If saurs, taurs and other humanoids weren't all over the place, it wouldn't be much of a fantasy game. :)

Shantzy
Peasant Status

#144 Post by Shantzy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:45 pm

No, no, NO! Playboy-bunnies or bust my friend! :lol

In all seriousness, it's an accomplished work, and all the unique critters at least makes it funny, toony, and distinguishable from the regular fantasy fauna, with the added bonus that you're allowed to kill most of them anyway. :p

Before posting yesterday, I had had a few. Mixing alcohol and webfora has interesting results. I dropped the f-bomb!

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#145 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Solarkid, nooooooo! Filters are not your friends! They ply you with drugs and sexy parties, but IT'S ALL LIES! LIIIIIIEEEEES!!!!!

Solarkid
Knight Status

#146 Post by Solarkid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:26 am

Filters? no filters there man, apart form the very firs one i did wih canvas effect.

Also, Whats wrong with drugs and sexy parties old chap?

Dave

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#147 Post by Senor Matt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:29 am

I have been checking these forums for four years now and I just have to say that this is easily the best thread I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

And Lady Pyro, if you are in need of a proposal, I just might be willing to make an offer if you keep pumping out the great art. ;)

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#148 Post by Tye » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 am

Senor Matt wrote:I have been checking these forums for four years now and I just have to say that this is easily the best thread I have ever had the pleasure of reading.
Y'know, I must say, I really am glad I made this thread! I was actually expecting it to die real soon like the one I created a few months before this one.

Tehseen
Royal Servant Status

#149 Post by Tehseen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:44 am

why dont anyone colour these sketches? are these difficult or what?

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#150 Post by Tye » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Well, if you INSIST ;).

First off, I must say, Lady Pyro, this is amazing work, and I hope that someday I might be able to draw figures like this! There may be a few inconsistencies (totally killed the spelling), but I think I got most everything accurate. The color scheme I chose was from the original Heroes Quest Shema.
Attachments