*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Solarkid
Knight Status

Re: QFG Artwork

#176 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Ha, my favourite parts are the hinted smirk on the sword guy and the tongue sticking out.
Eriq sure has an eye for detail.

Dave
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#177 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:17 pm

I do not like the lighting effects and weird posterization or solarization or I can't remember what it's called, but the pixelly jagged black stuff that fades away or whatever. Looks like filters to me. Just coloring it without adding weird stuff like that the way Tye was doing looks far better.

AoiMasamune
Peasant Status

#178 Post by AoiMasamune » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:09 pm

Spent a couple of days doing this one.

I should add that these pics I've colored are the first two I've ever done, please be gentle. :p

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#179 Post by eriqchang » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 pm

I think SolarKid's style fits his forum handle quite well. The artwork is bright, loud, vibrant, daring, and stylish. ;)

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#180 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:Perhaps we should get Eriq's opinion here!
Nice sketches Lady Pyro. You should make your next sketch of the Hero dancing with the fairies. :D
Actually, that was one of my first ideas but I couldn't get any of them to look quite like I wanted and scraped them and moved on. I might give it another go though.
RogerWanko wrote: i mentioned LadyPyro's nipples because JustLuke32 forgot to put them on his hero and i'm just a sucker for any goodlooking nipples i guess :rollin
I bet you say that to all the girls! :P
Tye wrote:LMFAO @ Eriq!
Agreed! I literally laughed outloud!
I had a whole terrible comic strip planned and partially drawn out in response to the Hero Sexuality conversation but had to stop due to a sudden bout with dizzy spells and vomiting. I figure at this rate by the time it gets finished the jokes will be irrelevant so instead you get some text promising maybe a scan tomorrow (I have a new set planned that I think you'll all like but haven't started drawing yet)

Solarkid
Knight Status

#181 Post by Solarkid » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:22 pm

dungeonsofdorks wrote:I do not like the lighting effects and weird posterization or solarization or I can't remember what it's called, but the pixelly jagged black stuff that fades away or whatever. Looks like filters to me. Just coloring it without adding weird stuff like that the way Tye was doing looks far better.
You're right, Tye's stuff looks fantastic, it's very positive of you to say that.

Dave

dungeonsofdorks
Royal Servant Status

#182 Post by dungeonsofdorks » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:38 am

I'm not intending to put you down, I like how you've colored the pictures, I just think there's too much in the way of lighting and other effects going on.

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#183 Post by Tye » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:33 am

Solarkid,
You really do have a great taste in color and lighting, and while there may be a few things that could be improved, it would only require patience and practice to improve. You weren't looking for a critique when you posted your colorings, so I won't go any further than I have, you have great talent, and amazing potential! Keep up the good work!

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#184 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 am

dungeonsofdorks wrote:I do not like the lighting effects and weird posterization or solarization or I can't remember what it's called, but the pixelly jagged black stuff that fades away or whatever. Looks like filters to me. Just coloring it without adding weird stuff like that the way Tye was doing looks far better.
You know. When the 'experts' say 'keep away from the filters', they're just trying to sound very clever, and playing along with the media who's fishing for quotes. Even they love to use those filters. In fact, they have more filters installed than anyone.

The trick is in not overdoing it... which Solarkid didn't do. Like I said before, he has a very unique style and I really like it!

Good job Aoi!

gamecreator
Knight Status

#185 Post by gamecreator » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Yes, use default Photoshop filters very sparingly as overusing them screams "amateur" to anyone who knows the program. If you must use them, use them as steps, not as final solutions.

Custom/downloaded/purchased filters are a little different as most people wouldn't know/recognize them so you could use them a little more freely, within the bounds of good taste, of course.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#186 Post by Lady Pyro » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Because I commanded it! MORE NIPPLES!
I wanted to do a few Monsters sets and I have to admit, they're a lot of fun. I took some liberties with the various Saurus-es because dinosaurs are more fun to draw.

And Griffin's are hard to draw.

More Later.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#187 Post by Gronagor » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Wow! That's some fantastic monster artwork LP!! :eek

Solarkid
Knight Status

#188 Post by Solarkid » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:50 pm

To be honest, I'm not really doing this to get the most professional looking thing, i'm doing it for fun.

As for filters, the only ones i have used is the render spot light because i think that looks cool, even if it is amateur-ish. I also used one on my recent one for textures on the gloves and blue top, just as a test to see what it would be like.
The backgrounds on the recent ones have actually been cave-like walls which I have created from scratch, and have nothing to do with filters.
Honestly im doing this to learn and to have fun, to do that i like to explore with effects :).

Thank you for your kind words! Of course, i would be completely useless without Lady Pyro's Sketches (i can't draw at all) so it's really all thanks to her!

@dungeonsofdorks I apologise for taking a bit of offense to your words, you were just expressing your opinion and your points were very valid, it just seemed a very nagative way to put it.

Dave

P.S LOVE the monsters Lp, you never fail to impress :)

<Lord Sloth>
Peasant Status

#189 Post by <Lord Sloth> » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Heya. It's beena years since I've last posted, and even there it wasn't much to remember, so you might as well peg me as another lurker gone glory hog. Pleased to meet cha!

Well, said Glory is almost with us again, and I've been scubbing out some artwork ever since I heard of Abdulla Chang's contest. They only need a bit of color at this point. Quite satisfying and relaxing actually, I'd forgotten how artistry makes me feel that way

What I'd like to know is, is this topic the official place for submissions, or is this just fun/practice? Has the contest even started yet, and if so are there approaching deadlines?

All the art here looks downright nice, no one let these skills atrophy, they're just the thing to warm us up for heroics. 8))

eriqchang
PR Director & Artist

#190 Post by eriqchang » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Abdulla Chang. LOL. ;)

You will definitely have a chance to enter soon - the details will be posted in the "Fans" section on the new site on Sunday along with WHERE to email your entries. And please do enter! If you haven't purchased a Collector's Edition of Al Emmo yet to secure your own mint Quest for Glory II poster, this is one of a few ways you can win one, along with other signed memorabilia.

I'd like to add that posters are dwindling - there have only been 1,000 ordered. Sierra fans are crazy about this game!

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#191 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 pm

OooOoo yeah I forgot there was going to be a contest. And to think, like a drunken sorority chick, I've been giving it away for free!
Lord Sloth, you should post some anyway. This is by far the best thread ever, and we'd love to see your stuff.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#192 Post by Lady Pyro » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:00 am

DOUBLE POST!
OoO I know I'm terrible but hey, if no one else wants to play...
Necrotaur vs. Evil Bunny (QFG4)
Pardon my Problems, this was done in un-erasable color pencil rather then Col-Erase animation pencils. Hey. Leave me alone, I was tired and didn't notice until it was to late okay?

This is all you get tonight. I started drawing out hero dancing with fairies again and I have him Disco Dancing, Air Guitaring, and sliding on his knees with his hands in the air...I swear I get them half finished then decide something else would look better. Hopefully something will get finished soon, but I have a busy day tomorrow so I probably wont be back to the drawing board until Sunda-er...Tuesday and then I have some more QFG 2 Monsters to draw, A few from Wages and many more from 4 I want to tackle (Wyverns are to much fun, they can twist all sorts of ways, though for PG purposes I'll keep the Rusulka pictuires to myself).
Don't think the drawing will end just cuz the games out. It'll slow down for a few choice days, but with luck it'll only inspire more. MORE TO TORTURE YOU ALL WITH!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....ha....
...erhm...:: clears throat ::
I mean...Later!

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#193 Post by Muadeeb » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:40 am

For inspiration, here's some Hero dancing from QFG1..

Tye
Royal Servant Status

#194 Post by Tye » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:49 am

Heheh, just something fun and quick.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#195 Post by Gronagor » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:56 am

Hehehe! Funny Tye!
(Who else wanted to see that dance in the tent?! :p )

VERY nice sketch as always LadyP!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#196 Post by Brainiac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:22 pm

So that's obviously a Thief. Heh.

glyfrahnour
Peasant Status

#197 Post by glyfrahnour » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:04 pm

i love the art! :D

ATMachine
Royal Servant Status

#198 Post by ATMachine » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Funnily enough, that EGA KQ5 screen was actually made by Sierra, for the 16-color floppy disk release. At the time it was Sierra's standard practice to release 16-color versions of the VGA games for people who still had old graphics cards.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#199 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Indeed. Later when they updated the SCI interpreter to 1.1 they added a second EGA640.DRV driver that dithered the already-VGA graphics into 16 colours in twice the resolution. I've managed to collect almost all of the SCI1 EGA versions though. Only one left for me to find is Eco Quest 1. Many say it doesn't exist but it's been documented. The EGA versions of KQ5, SQ4, Heart of China, and Return of the Dragon were the only versions we had because we originally only owned a Tandy 1000. Those were the days...

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#200 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:16 pm

This isn't art so much as a slight realization on my part:
LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL TABLE!
(lol)
And that's just the stack I can find! There's a whole group of half finished/rejected sketches and lost somewhere under that table. (Plus some on the left side that got cut from the camera but if you knew how the room was set up you'd understand it's VERY hard to take a picture of.)
Sorry I've been in and out of the apartment all day so I have no time to draw something new or finish anything up. I'll post more if I do though.