*** WINNERS ANNOUNCED! The Official QFG2 Contest!***

This forum is for discussion about the Quest for Glory II remake. Hints, tips, opinions, etc.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

Re: QFG Artwork

#101 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:15 pm

The Animatrix is a fine example of different anime styles and how good it can be!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#102 Post by Brainiac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:23 pm

And honestly, doing things as slickly as possible isn't always the artistic direction people want or enjoy. Look at the upcoming MegaMan 9, going back to its NES/Famicom roots.

Hollister
Peasant Status

#103 Post by Hollister » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 pm

Personally I can't stand the mutant/chibi/retarded cartoons that have become popular lately. No story, no humor, no talent, just stupid, stupid, stupid, credits. I can see what Lady Pyro means when looking at these, heck, the keyframes aren't all that good. What's worse, is these shows are so hypnotically dumb that I will occasionally realize I'm actually watching one, and its half-way over already. 8o

I like anime, even the Americanized stuff like the US version of Sailor Moon and Dragonball. I'm not too keen on the hyper-violent stuff, though I liked Vampire Hunter D. I loved the fansub of Oh My Goddess, that was a great series.

xarcos
Peasant Status

#104 Post by xarcos » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 am

Lady Pyro wrote:Unfortunately I don't have the whole set with me, but what I do have is an idea I stole from xarcos.
Haha, very impressive.

This one's a bit of a subtle reference, as well as something that ALWAYS bugged me about the entire series. I'm sure it's annoyed a lot of you too. :P

(Disclaimer: I've never really drawn anything for about 9 years, nor do I have a tablet (or artistic talent for that matter). This was done entirely with my mouse in Photoshop.)

adeyke

#105 Post by adeyke » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

That's so true :).

Solarkid
Knight Status

#106 Post by Solarkid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm

hey all :)
Well after looking at Lady Pyro's lovely sketches and seeing what hollister could do with them i thought i'd give my photoshop skills a work out.
I hope you don't mind me colouring your sketch like hollister did Lady Pyro.
Im not sure i do it the same justice that hollister did, but i was able to get some interesting effects, including using the filter gallery to place it on canvas which i think looks swell.

Hope you like it:)

Dave
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#107 Post by Lady Pyro » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm

That looks fantastic Solarkid! Anyone's welcome to color up anything I post. I'm extremely flattered and you guys seriously rock at it.
Admittedly it would be a bit easier on you guys if I posted some actual line art but I've been having to much fun just whipping off these sketches! (With the exception on the Frog one, that went slow because I could not figure out how to draw frogs.)
Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting more yet, my sister just bought a Wii and- I MEAN I got super busy at work. Yes. That's it. You know how it is with deadlines...and...work...
:: clears throat ::
ANYWAY I'm going out to my parents house tonight to welcome in my newest roommate (a retired show cat) so I'll see if I can scan some more while I'm out.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#108 Post by Solarkid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Cheers :) i'd love to take a shot at anything else you put up.
And no I think it's better for you to keep the sketchy style, it really gives your pictures personality

Dave

EZ
Peasant Status

#109 Post by EZ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:13 am

The stuff in this thread is awesome. It's really interesting to see all the talent around here. Now, there's no way I can make better wallpaper than Eriq but I really wanted these pictures on my desktop (at least for now) and since no one else has turned them into wallpaper yet, I had to do it... I apologize in advance for the lack of, uh, pizzaz. If someone else wants to prettify them I've included the original Paint.NET files... and also, the colored source files by Hollister were really small, hence the small resolutions.

Thanks LadyP, Hollister, and Eriq (and everyone else posting awesome art) for brightening my day (and desktop). This launch is really exciting.

1024x768: http://www.eugenez.net/qfgbg.png
1280x800: http://www.eugenez.net/qfgbg_wide.png

Source files:
http://www.eugenez.net/success.pdn
http://www.eugenez.net/success_wide.pdn

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#110 Post by Lady Pyro » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:07 pm

I had no idea how to draw magic (what with real world reference being scarce) so if anyone has any suggestions on how to do it better I'm open.
More later.
Last edited by Lady Pyro on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muadeeb
Royal Servant Status

#111 Post by Muadeeb » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 pm

That's the joy of Magic -- Whatever you say, goes. Looks awesome!

jpnuar1
Knight Status

#112 Post by jpnuar1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Hmm, regarding the glowy electric-ness around his eyes, I was gonna say that that effect is too cool for someone who looks so bamboozled by his own powers to be allowed to have. But then, I guess that it does suit our hero in the first few games pretty fantastically. (especially if you tend to play thieves) I guess that's what you get when you invest points into magic when your Int is only 15.

Great job!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#113 Post by Brainiac » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm

I just have one question, Lady Pyro - what spell is he supposed to be casting?

Solarkid
Knight Status

#114 Post by Solarkid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 am

That is my favourite one yet, the style is fantastic.

I got to work and here is my colour adaption of your beautiful work lady pyro :) let me know what you think.

This time, after imposing colours onto the sketch i used a poster edges effect which is a high contrast filter that makes darker tones very black but leaves light tones as they are. I thought this would work well with your magic theme.

P.s i made the spell flame dart, if you had a different spell in mind, tell me and i'll change it! :)

Dave
Attachments

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#115 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:44 am

It can be any spell you guys want. Honestly I didn't really have one in mind when I was sketching. I'm not a huge fan of magic users, so I don't really remember to many spells outside of flame dart and fetch.

That looks pretty sweet Solar! Glad you enjoyed that drawing! I liked that picture too and have a fighter one that I'll try and post tomorrow.

Now I told Gronagor I'd give some Shema sketches a shot, and I have. I don't wanna turn this into a dump for every terrible sketch I get down on paper (which is why you get about 10% of the growing pile of drawings I actually pump out for this mini-project) but I figured I'd post what I have, even tho it's just thumbnails and one bad sketch.

To me, her face looks more alien then cat but I thought I'd post anyway. I had much more fun with the poses then the actual drawing on this one :P
Last edited by Lady Pyro on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#116 Post by Brainiac » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:57 am

Lady Pyro wrote:It can be any spell you guys want. Honestly I didn't really have one in mind when I was sketching. I'm not a huge fan of magic users, so I don't really remember to many spells outside of flame dart and fetch.
Presuming you only care about QfG1 and QfG2 spells, the full list is:

Zap
Detect
Fetch
Open
Trigger
Flame Dart
Calm
Dazzle
Levitate
Force Bolt
Reversal

The between-the-hands ball setup could be good for Zap, Flame Dart, Dazzle, and Force Bolt. Open, Trigger, and Fetch are possibilities as well, but a bit less offensive in nature.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#117 Post by Solarkid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Right, just got back home and i had a bit more time on my hands so i got back to that magic one.

Here's my second rendition of your Sketch Lady :) Using lighting effects i think it really brings out the magic.

Btw, i think the katta looks lovely! Fantastic pose and the clothing works well.

Dave
Attachments

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#118 Post by Gronagor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Wonderful stuff! Only thing that maybe makes it a bit weird is the ears. Should be a bit bigger and more to the top of the head. But that's easily fixed when colored. :)

Thank you!

AoiMasamune
Peasant Status

#119 Post by AoiMasamune » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Well, I've been checking in once in a while, and happened to stumble across this thread while reading some art tutorials, so I thought this would be an excellent time to both try my skills I've been learning, and give me a reason to create an account. Two birds, one stone and all that jazz.

Results:

Criticism is welcome, thats how improvement happens. =)

Solarkid
Knight Status

#120 Post by Solarkid » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:47 pm

I like! You have the virtue of clarity which I am yet to master.
The hair and skin tone are my favourite parts dude

Dave

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#121 Post by Blackthorne519 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Man! I am really lovin' this thread. Such great art in it! Keep it up, kids.

Bt

Hollister
Peasant Status

#122 Post by Hollister » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm sure everyone would be thrilled if you made a thread for all your sketches, LadyPyro. I know I would. Love the new one, I'm still working on the others!

It doesn't matter much, because I imagine the hero may have access to several types, but his gloves are always a little different. In Success and Join the Club, he's wearing a fingerless glove with a square hole and a wrist cuff, while Do What looks more like gauntlets with full fingers. The Juggling Thief and Mage pics look similar, with bracer-style cuffs and no fingers, though the juggler looks like his have laces, but the mage may not. I like the variety, but it caught my eye.

I'll have this evening to do some coloring and I have a new background ink from rmullen (finally) to work on for the game, maybe I'll get something to post tonight.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#123 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Hollister wrote:I'm sure everyone would be thrilled if you made a thread for all your sketches, LadyPyro. I know I would. Love the new one, I'm still working on the others!

It doesn't matter much, because I imagine the hero may have access to several types, but his gloves are always a little different. In Success and Join the Club, he's wearing a fingerless glove with a square hole and a wrist cuff, while Do What looks more like gauntlets with full fingers. The Juggling Thief and Mage pics look similar, with bracer-style cuffs and no fingers, though the juggler looks like his have laces, but the mage may not. I like the variety, but it caught my eye.

I'll have this evening to do some coloring and I have a new background ink from rmullen (finally) to work on for the game, maybe I'll get something to post tonight.
Good eye Hollister! It's true, I don't keep our hero very constant. I think I finally decided on a hair style but his face changes in various ways between pictures, along with clothing. (You probably noticed the magic pic was the first use of dramatic cape as well).
I only have two excuses for it, the first is that I haven't decided quite how I wanted the hero to look. Normally I wouldn't have posted anything until I had a set look and style down so that I could keep things consistent, but decided against it. I was excited to show you guys what I had done so I didn't take the time to do up a set of model sheets or anything. Also I figured I wasn't doing a comic or animation so a little inconsistency wouldn't matter to much.
The other is that, while most of my drawing is done on my beautiful drawing table at my place, with the recent scanner issues, I find I've been drawing wherever there happens to be a working scanner. (Which means all my notes, sketches and at times, sobriety are not accessible)

And because I don't like posting on this thread without having something to offer, here's a sketch from my original ones that I had no intention of posting (But I don't have a scanner to scan something new)
It never got finished, so don't judge to harshly! :P

Hollister
Peasant Status

#124 Post by Hollister » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 pm

I love it, even if its not finished. I laughed after the moment of 'Huh?' In my narrative of Mask of Eternity, I actually have Connor grumbling about the busywork he's sent to do.

"I'm trying to save the whole fribbing world and you want me to do what?!" kind of frustration.

Well anyway, even if you aren't exactly on your 'A' game with these, I have to say they're some of the best adventure fan art I've layed eyes on. I'm kinda surprised you haven't had anyone ask you to join their team yet (or propose, I would but I'm married already :lol) Hope you stick around, even without the art.

Solarkid
Knight Status

#125 Post by Solarkid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:57 pm

:)
Attachments